Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

2018 Belmont Stakes

Should be a lot of anticipation for this one, as we have a Triple Crown contender running in Justify.

After his Derby and Preakness wins, he does look beatable, so the wagering public will likely be out en masse as will a number of contenders to take the unbeaten monster down.

This is popcorn ready kind of stuff.

As for probables/possibles?:

Justify
Audible
Hofburg
Bravazo
Vino Rosso
My Boy Jack
Tenfold
Blended Citzen
Solomini
Machismo
Free Drop Billy
Gronkowski

I'm sure more names will come about in the next couple of weeks.

Bart Scott may have said it best: "Can't wait!".

Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
jay68802

Who is going to push Justify? I am looking to see if a "rabbit" is going to be entered.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Who is going to push Justify? I am looking to see if a "rabbit" is going to be entered.
I think Justify is very comfortable rating in 2nd or 3rd from a good post, the track conditions has kind of forced the hand.

I am hoping for a dry track, it probably wont be.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I think Justify is very comfortable rating in 2nd or 3rd from a good post, the track conditions has kind of forced the hand.

I am hoping for a dry track, it probably wont be.
Me too. A wet track would make Vino Rosso a toss. I want to see him have a good race and if he can best Bravazo or not.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
letswastemoney

I doubt Audible runs because of WinStar. It would be a surprise anyway.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
I doubt Audible runs because of WinStar. It would be a surprise anyway.
If they ran Quip, most likely, they will have no problem, whatsoever, running Audible.

Remember, they are, first and foremost, a breeding operation. Justify isn't a lock for the Triple Crown. Any three year old they own that nails the distance of the 1-1/2 mile Belmont Stakes is very good for their stallion roster.

Was Pletcher even in Baltimore yesterday? If not, he was likely at home in Floral Park sitting in front of his big screen TV, smiling.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Should be a lot of anticipation for this one, as we have a Triple Crown contender running in Justify.

After his Derby and Preakness wins, he does look beatable, so the wagering public will likely be out en masse as will a number of contenders to take the unbeaten monster down.

This is popcorn ready kind of stuff.

As for probables/possibles?:

Justify
Audible
Hofburg
Bravazo
Vino Rosso
My Boy Jack
Tenfold
Blended Citzen
Solomini
Machismo
Free Drop Billy
Gronkowski

I'm sure more names will come about in the next couple of weeks.

Bart Scott may have said it best: "Can't wait!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY

Where's Instilled Regard?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
Me too. A wet track would make Vino Rosso a toss. I want to see him have a good race and if he can best Bravazo or not.

Any kind of crowd would make Vino Rosso a toss. Horse was a nervous wreck with the Derby crowd
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
n.c

My boy jack is partly

owned by Justify owners, i think. So the horse might not run.
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Where's Instilled Regard?
Thomas, he was taken out of training. Also Selcourt.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
clicknow

With more and more horses owned by syndicates, partners, (a trend that will continue and grow), if they didn't run due to common ownership there would barely be any horses on the tracks pretty soon.

I think not running them in prep races against each other is one thing, but running them in the big G1 races isn't a problem. In order to avoid each other they would all be lessening their chances across the board and would make no sense, financially, to sit out races where horses have a shot, esp. for their racing history/breeding fees..
Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Grits

https://www.horseracingnation.com/bl...iple_Crown_123

Following the piece, there are some interesting comments. What I believed a few days ago, I still believe...people do care who connections are and what connections decide as it pertains to their horses.

In the past, I've felt differently. When it's my money, only then, do I have the right to an opinion about where my horse goes. And even then, my opinion isn't worth much. I should leave this to my trainer.

But, in the long term, I feel if horses are taken out of the Belmont for one entry by those who own multiple entries this will be seen as this poster noted...manipulation of a Triple Crown.

Quote:
It's not a matter of where will Audible run if not allowed to run in the Belmont. The real question is why not, and why are we ignoring this potential manipulation.
We should be asking or realizing that partnerships are growing into conglomerates too big to fail with the power of manipulating outcomes to their advantage and manufacturing champions. If they don't run Audible it is for only one reason, he is a threat to beat Justify and if Audible is out and Justify wins, he isn't my champion.
Quote:
It's a shame if he doesn't because he would destroy Justify. The owners want an easier race for Justify to get the money but if they want a Belmont win they need Audible not Justify.
Quote:
And are you ok with the owners pulling the horse that can beat him out of the race to make things easier on what might be our newest triple crown champ? How could anyone be ok with that. Soon the conglomerates will be a few and they will own everything and dictate what transpires.
Quote:
But he 100 percent should run. It's the right thing to do and he merits a run.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
If they ran Quip, most likely, they will have no problem, whatsoever, running Audible.

Remember, they are, first and foremost, a breeding operation. Justify isn't a lock for the Triple Crown. Any three year old they own that nails the distance of the 1-1/2 mile Belmont Stakes is very good for their stallion roster.

Was Pletcher even in Baltimore yesterday? If not, he was likely at home in Floral Park sitting in front of his big screen TV, smiling.
Audible has a G1 win and a 3rd place in a Classic, Quip needs a better resume for the breeding shed. Plus Audible doesn't have the best feet, at least from what I've read, so perfect reason to skip this one.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

Run Audible?

this one is simple; YES

If Justify is doing at all well, he'll romp in the Belmont. Audible at best runs a non-threatening 2nd in that scenario. Justify is faster, and has better stamina.
While the added distance will help Audible's poor tactical speed(he'll be able to sit reasonably close without a full-drive), he's not going to really love added distance and a fair setup(a mild pace).

He's not a threat, so they may as well tell them both to try to win.

If (like some on this board,) they were worried that Audible may be capable of a big race to spoil their Triple Crown by surpassing an otherwise winning effort from Justify, they'd instruct for a belated back-door rally.

As long as Audible doesn't flatten out badly, it will visibly look about the same, so everyone can feel they were right.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-21-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Thomas Roulston

I left a comment about Instilled Regard on a Horse Racing Nation article about the Belmont - and a respondent who seems to know what he's talking about thinks that Instilled Regard is indeed being considered for the Belmont despite the article itself not mentioning him.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: