Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #31
GMB@BP

Was Justify hand ridden the last 1/16th?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #32
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Yes.

Smith looked at the video board and realized the race was over.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #33
Spalding No!

Quote:
Smith gave Justify a good strike left-handed inside the 1/16th at which point the horse bobbled slightly and Smith gave a minor slap after the horse righted itself.

Justify was probably giving about as good as he had so there wasn't much to do with the whip, and Bravazo, who apparently lost position on the foggy far turn (went from 3rd 2 lengths back, to 5th 5 lengths back), had too much to do in the last hundred yards.

Very similar visually to Chris McCarron hand-riding a full out Sunday Silence (after shrugging off pace rival Blushing John) while bracing for the ill-timed late dash of Easy Goer in the '89 BC Classic.

Probably closed his eyes and willed the wire to materialize in time.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #34
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMasterT View Post
Love me some Gun Runner. Underrated horse.
Calling horses "great" when they have run like 4 races in their lives, I don't get.

If a horse can't race til 5 years old, then they aren't *great*. Because it takes that long to get some real accomplishments under your belt.

And even more so, if a trainer burns out a young horse at the age of 3, then they can't train for crap, are not doing something right and either are their vets, and they certainly aren't "good shepherds" of their charges, these lovely animals. when your horse can't make it thru a TC season and race again, then you have simply gutted them, juicing the lemon...

....that is called using them.......not training them.

Don't even get me started on the ones whisked off the the breeding shed like the ones people call "great" (which they are not.)
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #35
Denny
Veteran

It was the right tactic.
Damn good try.
They aren't there to run second.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #36
papillon

To be fair

Quote:
Yes. If he never beats Justify in his racing career, he will be second fiddle as far as stud fees are concerned. Take a few 10k times 150 a year and see if 100k is worth the risk.

Edit. Also, Justify as one of the greats? He is not even in American Pharoahs ballpark as far as I'm concerned.
Justify and Good Magic are in two different stallion classes. Justify is in the Scat Daddy replacement class, a war currently between Windstar and Coolmore. Good Magic is in the best son of Curlin class, a very crowded class. Even if he won today, he would still be this crop's Exagerator. And really, if you want a Curlin, get a Curlin (can't do that with Scat Daddy anymore).
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #37
papillon

I don't think it would have mattered

Quote:
Smith repeatedly used the word "tired" to describe Justify in the stretch in his post race interview. He sounded relieved about thevwin to me, not exuberant. YMMV.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #38
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by lured View Post
Only choice they had and I agree with it. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
the strategy was a good one.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #39
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Calling horses "great" when they have run like 4 races in their lives, I don't get.

If a horse can't race til 5 years old, then they aren't *great*. Because it takes that long to get some real accomplishments under your belt.

And even more so, if a trainer burns out a young horse at the age of 3, then they can't train for crap, are not doing something right and either are their vets, and they certainly aren't "good shepherds" of their charges, these lovely animals. when your horse can't make it thru a TC season and race again, then you have simply gutted them, juicing the lemon...

....that is called using them.......not training them.

Don't even get me started on the ones whisked off the the breeding shed like the ones people call "great" (which they are not.)
I don't know if this was directed at me since you quoted me. But, if so, I would like to see where I ever have used the word "great".
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 05:28 AM   #40
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Yes. If he never beats Justify in his racing career, he will be second fiddle as far as stud fees are concerned. Take a few 10k times 150 a year and see if 100k is worth the risk.

Edit. Also, Justify as one of the greats? He is not even in American Pharoahs ballpark as far as I'm concerned.
Breeding is a different ballgame. Remember Affirmed and Alydar? It was Alydar who was preferred from the start going into the shed.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 05-20-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #41
clicknow

Quote:
I don't know if this was directed at me since you quoted me. But, if so, I would like to see where I ever have used the word "great".
of course I was not quoting you for that reason. and you did not use the word great.

I sometimes will quote a post for continuity, to show what I am *responding* to.

In this case, it was to show why a horse like Gun Runner satisfies my admiration, i.e. that I'm not into "momentary racing" and I like to see an actual "body of work".
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: