Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #46
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I really do appreciate, and understand, that anything with Saratoga attached to it gets people excited. However, seems like an awful lot of unnecessary hand wringing going on. We run, what, at most, five dirt races a day up there? So, other than off the turf races, which thankfully have been few and far between in recent years, how many of these races are going to be offered? Furthermore, as handicappers and bettors, aren't we supposed to like things that might confuse other bettors? Tom showed some data, a limited sample for sure, but maybe it offers some clues that might help give us some sort of betting advantage.

It's all a big puzzle. Put the pieces together. Isn't that what we like?
That is what I was doing! I have no problem with it. To be completely honest, a a majority of the 1 1/8 mile races outside of stakes have been pretty ugly down the lane. It won't make speed figures any easier, but I actually like that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #47
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That is what I was doing! I have no problem with it. To be completely honest, a a majority of the 1 1/8 mile races outside of stakes have been pretty ugly down the lane. It won't make speed figures any easier, but I actually like that.
Right. I heard complaints that this will take away from the 9F races. OK, maybe it will, maybe it won't, but those 9F races are dominated by speed and not exactly the most fair races either.

I never include you in this, but it just seems like the reactions to everything in racing are negative way too often, and sometimes without giving it much thought.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #48
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I find it helpful when these charts include a row for "Outside" - with this we can figure out how many races each PP had as the outside post, but not the performance of all the outside horses taken together.
Just for you T since I'm bored today:

Attached Images
File Type: png EllisPark.png (13.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by cj; 01-19-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:29 AM   #49
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Right. I heard complaints that this will take away from the 9F races. OK, maybe it will, maybe it won't, but those 9F races are dominated by speed and not exactly the most fair races either.

I never include you in this, but it just seems like the reactions to everything in racing are negative way too often, and sometimes without giving it much thought.
No worries, I didn't take it that way, just trying to spur some discussion on the actual races that will happen. Anything new I am going to dive in and look for something that works. Horseplayers should love this.

Last edited by cj; 01-19-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #50
elhelmete

A bunch of my memorable scores have come via some notable change in track configuration. Like avoiding chronic underlays going/coming from turf sprints at DMR and HOL to/from the 6.5F downhill course at SA.
I look forward to races on this new 1m layout.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2022, 09:56 PM   #51
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Just for you T since I'm bored today:
Thanks for your consideration!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2022, 11:00 PM   #52
Al Gobbi

Quote:
There are still some logistics to work out over the placement of the starting gate for the Wilson Chute, as jockeys have expressed safety concerns to the stewards and management over the number of horses permitted to run in those one-mile races. There was some discrepancy whether the fields for races that start in the chute should be limited to eight or 10 starters. For now, the limit is 10 horses.

The concern is that horses who would break from the inside posts would be running straight toward the rail entering the first turn.

The Wilson Chute, dismantled in 1972, was rebuilt to allow one-mile races to be run on the dirt.
https://www.drf.com/news/wilton-stak...aws-discussion
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #53
delayjf

How would everyone fell about starting 1 mile races at the finish line and ending them at the 1/8 pole - like Oaklawn Part does.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #54
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
I’m not sure why 2yos would be an issue. It would be fairly rare to run 2yo a mile on dirt at that stage anyway.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:45 AM   #55
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
Great information I did not know.

Saw some pics of the 'new' chute, and it simply looks like 70 or so feet that was needed.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #56
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I just checked Google Maps, and it looks like they haven't started the construction yet!

Talk about cutting it close! 4 days?
Old 07-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #57
SandyW

Famous Saying:
"When things are going good let's find a new way to screw it up"
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #58
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I’m not sure why 2yos would be an issue. It would be fairly rare to run 2yo a mile on dirt at that stage anyway.
When 1 1/16 2 yr old races on the turf are taken off they will now be a mile instead of 7f. That's when it comes in to play for 2yo.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #59
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
When 1 1/16 2 yr old races on the turf are taken off they will now be a mile instead of 7f. That's when it comes in to play for 2yo.
Thanks. Some of those (hopefully not many) could turn into real staggerfests if there are no horses that can handle dirt.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #60
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I just checked Google Maps, and it looks like they haven't started the construction yet!

Talk about cutting it close! 4 days?
I was there three weeks ago. It was basically done.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: