Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 01-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #76
vegasone

My bad...Just me seeing things not there
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2022, 10:57 PM   #77
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No problem, sometimes I hear things that aren't there.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:17 PM   #78
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
No problem, sometimes I hear things that aren't there.
SOMETIMES????
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #79
wiretowire68

Just curious, if it would be less of a daunting task to build a template from scratch and then try to insert bris or drf pp into the spread sheet. Also, found a website called aspose which takes pdf files and converts for free, was very handy.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #80
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
Just curious, if it would be less of a daunting task to build a template from scratch and then try to insert bris or drf pp into the spread sheet. Also, found a website called aspose which takes pdf files and converts for free, was very handy.
Yes, very easy. I open my pp file alongside my spreadshhet file and enter the data. Very quick.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:51 PM   #81
wiretowire68

I started building the main part of the template for a Bris file and a Drf file. I was curious, when the people who made the Bris fit, did you decide to adjust the cells first and then insert or the other way. How on this earth did Raybo build the formulas into all that......unbelievable. The factors I have would take forever in terms of angles. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever used Dave Scwartz Horse Street and what pp data does he use. I know you have to buy your data from the website that offers JCapper/Ken Massa. It is the same with Pizzolla who designed his own version of pps. Thoughts.

Chuck
Old 01-10-2022, 02:12 PM   #82
Light
Veteran

Wire

Many handicappers including myself use Excel vba programing to create customized input into an Excel spreadsheet. First learn how to bring data from a Bris data file into an Excel spreadsheet, then you can manipulate the data with macros and formulas.

I never did like any of the available programs there are for horse racing because they did not address areas I thought were significant.That's what forced me to learn how to build my own program which I feel is better than any I've seen.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #83
wiretowire68

Yes,, I use sheets.. so....very similar. I just wanted to know if you built the template first etc. I could never do that amount of work. I am using my google spreadsheets and have develop some nice numbers. My idea is simple, be able to build your own to each race, but to have software read the data but give you the option of picking the data. Similar to Dave Schwartz only, I do not think you need 4000 thousand factors when it comes to handicapping. I think the pioneers were right in what they keep adding. Today, I do not think much is missing in terms of speed ratings/time ratings etc. However, experience dicates the factors in terms of conditions and class and fit cycles. So, I was looking for help in terms of step by step instructions on how to make a pp fit into cells. Everyone says it is trial and error. I get it,it is just frustrating.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:40 PM   #84
Light
Veteran

I've never looked into google sheets,but it is very simple to import a Bris file in Excel. So for example I just dl the Parx $1 single format data file from Bris.

After dl it, you have to turn it into a Drf file. I do this by opening the file with the Bris pp generator. Then open an Excel workbook and import the drf file into a sheet in the wkbk. In Excel there is an import file "wizard" that guides your import based in the type of file you are importing which in this case is a comma delimited file.

Don't know if "Google sheets" has that kind of sophistication.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #85
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
Yes,, I use sheets.. so....very similar. I just wanted to know if you built the template first etc. I could never do that amount of work. I am using my google spreadsheets and have develop some nice numbers. My idea is simple, be able to build your own to each race, but to have software read the data but give you the option of picking the data. Similar to Dave Schwartz only, I do not think you need 4000 thousand factors when it comes to handicapping. I think the pioneers were right in what they keep adding. Today, I do not think much is missing in terms of speed ratings/time ratings etc. However, experience dicates the factors in terms of conditions and class and fit cycles. So, I was looking for help in terms of step by step instructions on how to make a pp fit into cells. Everyone says it is trial and error. I get it,it is just frustrating.
Why are you so hung up on getting PP's to fit?

Half of that info is going to be useless.....

Forget about getting data into excel for now....

You first step is to develop what YOU want your "main" sheet to look like

From there you then fill in the cells...not that difficult...

List what factors are needed and then input into the main sheet...

Mike
Old 01-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #86
ranchwest

I import Multicaps (BRIS single file) into a dBase/Clipper/Harbour file using Harbour. I haven't tried importing the Harbour file into Open Office, but if anyone might find it useful, I could try. Theoretically, it should yield the column headings and formatting.

I use Harbour to create HTML files. Very cool as far as the versatility in formatting the data with colors, fonts, tables, etc.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:15 PM   #87
headhawg
crusty old guy

The OP has been told how to import a Bris single file (.drf) into Google Sheets. More than once. I don't think that is the issue. (Well maybe it still is, I am not sure.) From my POV it appears that he wants to build a PP "template". I am assuming that this template filters out the data from file that is not needed, and places it into a formatted worksheet. I also think there is this giant middle step between the importing and the outputting where all the calculations are done. (These are his "factors" if I am to understand Chuck correctly.)

I am not sure this is feasible for him given his skill level. You guys can continue to help, but unless someone will write the template for him, I don't think the project will see the light of day. Peace out.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #88
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The OP has been told how to import a Bris single file (.drf) into Google Sheets. More than once. I don't think that is the issue. (Well maybe it still is, I am not sure.) From my POV it appears that he wants to build a PP "template". I am assuming that this template filters out the data from file that is not needed, and places it into a formatted worksheet. I also think there is this giant middle step between the importing and the outputting where all the calculations are done. (These are his "factors" if I am to understand Chuck correctly.)

I am not sure this is feasible for him given his skill level. You guys can continue to help, but unless someone will write the template for him, I don't think the project will see the light of day. Peace out.
Thxs HH....that was going to be my next post and last....
Old 01-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #89
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post

My point is that I think I can offer the column headings, which do not come in with the file. In fact, some of my column headings are not even documented.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #90
Light
Veteran

A template? Piece of cake. After importing the data into say sheet1, sheet2 can extract any particular data into it from sheet1 and be a template. Sheet3 can be a different template extracting specific data from sheet1 and so on.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: