Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-06-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
lamboguy

IRS and cash deposits to financial institutions

https://www.freshbooks.com/hub/taxes/cash-deposit-irs
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
boxcar

These rules have been in place for a long time, Lamby. Was there a point to this thread?
Old 01-06-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
These rules have been in place for a long time, Lamby. Was there a point to this thread?
actually they just started less than a week ago. this is part of the infrastructure bill. this includes payment methods such as VNMO, Cashapp, Zelle, Paypal.

the difference to what you were thinking about is that you will be getting a 1099 from those company's and the banks that you are making your cash deposits at on a collective yearly basis. before it was $10,000 in cash for anything within a 15 day period of time, now its $600 for the whole year.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Yeah, all those online sellers who use PayPal as a payment collection method might be in for a rude awakening in a few months.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
tbwinner

Stubhub is hounding my email for my TIN. I sold some tickets this year that I had received for about $400. Not even close to the threshold, sorry, not gonna happen!
tbwinner is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 04:04 PM   #6
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
actually they just started less than a week ago. this is part of the infrastructure bill. this includes payment methods such as VNMO, Cashapp, Zelle, Paypal.

the difference to what you were thinking about is that you will be getting a 1099 from those company's and the banks that you are making your cash deposits at on a collective yearly basis. before it was $10,000 in cash for anything within a 15 day period of time, now its $600 for the whole year.
Huh? The infrastructure bill never passed the Senate. Manchin blocked it.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Something else that's been on the books since 1954 is the reporting requirement for vendors, online businesses, and private citizens--for sales over $600 in a calendar year.

In 1954 $600 was the equivalent of appx $6K today...yet IRS refuses to increase this amount to reflect today's dollars. They have hired thousands of agents to enforce these archaic regulations.
This was slipped in by the Biden Admin...to help pay for the billions he is giving away in "free stuff". Yep, make small business pay for it. Previously a 1099 was only issued to vendors whose sales were over 20K yearly--or over 200 in total sales.

Ebay especially will be, and is- devastated by this action. Add PayPal, Etsy, Venmo...and hundreds of other firms.

I'll see how this plays out--but if it stands as is...myself and thousands of other small businesses will be forced to close. The surprisingly small amount of profit I realize a year--if I have to share that with the govt to pay for all the money they've pissed away--forget it. There just won't be a Pace-View.

And please, spare me your righteous comments about "It's the law--I should have been reporting this income in the first place".

If that is your reaction--you have never run a small business. Do you have any idea what licenses, permits, red tape, etc. you need to open up shop for internet sales? City, State, and Federal?

I didn't think so.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #8
Striker

Quote:
Huh? The infrastructure bill never passed the Senate. Manchin blocked it.
Manchin didn’t block the infrastructure bill and that bill did pass the senate and has been signed by Biden into law. Manchin was the senator who has technically blocked but just said he wouldn’t support Biden’s “Build Back Better Act” as of now. And this new $600 reporting from PayPal and Venmo…etc wasn’t in the infrastructure bill it was created in one of the stimulus bills from earlier in the year.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 06:37 PM   #9
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Manchin didn’t block the infrastructure bill and that bill did pass the senate and has been signed by Biden into law. Manchin was the senator who has technically blocked but just said he wouldn’t support Biden’s “Build Back Better Act” as of now. And this new $600 reporting from PayPal and Venmo…etc wasn’t in the infrastructure bill it was created in one of the stimulus bills from earlier in the year.
Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Did Biden get to add thousands of new IRS agents in one of those stimulus bills, as well?
Old 01-06-2022, 07:02 PM   #10
Striker

Quote:
Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Did Biden get to add thousands of new IRS agents in one of those stimulus bills, as well?
No, that was in the Build Back Better Act, which Manchin said no to. But don’t worry the Dems and Biden will keep trying as hard as they can to get it passed, most likely buried in some other bill that no Senator or Congressman will read.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #11
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

This sums it up perfectly:

In a statement released on the Build Back Better framework in late October, the White House said "the IRS does not have the resources it needs to pursue wealthy tax cheats." But new evidence indicates tens of thousands of those new IRS agents would be tasked with targeting middle-income Americans.

NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #12
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
This sums it up perfectly:

In a statement released on the Build Back Better framework in late October, the White House said "the IRS does not have the resources it needs to pursue wealthy tax cheats." But new evidence indicates tens of thousands of those new IRS agents would be tasked with targeting middle-income Americans.

Yup, go after the middle income people. Makes sense. Why would wealthy politicians stick the IRS on themselves?
Old 01-06-2022, 08:30 PM   #13
Striker

Only a politician could come up with annual amounts of $600/year for the bank transactions to be reported to the IRS and stand behind the decision. I would guess most Americans who have a bank account reach that threshold. Then they caught so much ridicule for the $600 they came up with $10k/year, and have the audacity to say this applies to “wealthy” Americans. Even though these amounts are non-payroll, it’s not hard to reach them. One of Yellen’s interviews on this was priceless as she gave the example of a person they want to go after as being one who reports $10k/year in income, and has over $1 million in bank transactions.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:41 PM   #14
chrisl

I send money all the time to family, through a cash app. Most of the time it is way over 600 bucks. Who would pay the taxes or have to claim this. I have to figure out another way. The truth in parenting. When your kids leave the nest, you better become a bank.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #15
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I send money all the time to family, through a cash app. Most of the time it is way over 600 bucks. Who would pay the taxes or have to claim this. I have to figure out another way. The truth in parenting. When your kids leave the nest, you better become a bank.
Article states reporting is for commercial transactions.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/venmo-p...-irs-rcna11260

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 01-06-2022 at 09:15 PM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: