Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 12-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #31
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
So do you know how to make this in google sheets? if you do please let me know how
I dont use Google Sheets it cannot import my Alldata project

What does your sheet look like ?

You might have to resize columns one by one then save it
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2022, 07:27 PM   #32
wiretowire68

I have given up trying to get it to fit. I am at this point just taking several Handicapping Angles and have added a few of my own where I have found sucess and put a numbering system similar to the Ray Taulbot formula. I have things like Workouts, Beaten Fav's, equipment change/ stretchout/cutback/Barnswitches, claming patterns within a chart.etc. Cycle trends whereby speed figures decreasing or increasing within a paticular form cycle. I am currently reading Tom Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapping and have learned to understand fps calculations and the formulas used by Sartin Method and have incorporated them within the fractional splits in terms of 1st Call etc, which leads to EP/LP, which it seems that handicapping has been going to EP/LP. I now have a better understanding than I ever had of E, EP, P, S. Average Pace compared to Sustained Pace, the differences and different factors and how energy is distributed. It is not hard to changed fps velocity to second call and energy expenditure based using Pace with time fractions. My numbers have been excellent and like most Handicapping pundits and certain races, it puts two horses that are either the hard fav. or the 2nd or 3rd choice. It is a ton of work, it is so time consuming that it is practically impossible to do one full card. It takes me 2/3 hours to do one race. And today, I decided to stop using track variants as my results have not shown that it directly affects the final outcome. I did a race yesterday at Santa Anita for Sport of Kings Tournament and everything in terms of final analysis pointed to Cabo Spirit and I put my pick in very early compared to the race with his M/L 6-1. Now I watched the race and before post he was at 7-1. Then, late money had him hammered to 5/2. I had bet him myself on the tote board at 7-1. Where I am, no fixed odds. Can not wait til this gets into our market.

All Data is very similar but geez you have to have the time and the patience to throw these functions and import PP data and then be able to teach a machine programming that will extract this data. I think it could work but I could imagine the cost of explaining to someone the type of programming that I require that would incorporate. So, at a dilemma, because I love doing the work, but to narrow it down is the question.

Chuck
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2022, 01:06 AM   #33
ranchwest

Quote:
I have given up trying to get it to fit. I am at this point just taking several Handicapping Angles and have added a few of my own where I have found sucess and put a numbering system similar to the Ray Taulbot formula. I have things like Workouts, Beaten Fav's, equipment change/ stretchout/cutback/Barnswitches, claming patterns within a chart.etc. Cycle trends whereby speed figures decreasing or increasing within a paticular form cycle. I am currently reading Tom Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapping and have learned to understand fps calculations and the formulas used by Sartin Method and have incorporated them within the fractional splits in terms of 1st Call etc, which leads to EP/LP, which it seems that handicapping has been going to EP/LP. I now have a better understanding than I ever had of E, EP, P, S. Average Pace compared to Sustained Pace, the differences and different factors and how energy is distributed. It is not hard to changed fps velocity to second call and energy expenditure based using Pace with time fractions. My numbers have been excellent and like most Handicapping pundits and certain races, it puts two horses that are either the hard fav. or the 2nd or 3rd choice. It is a ton of work, it is so time consuming that it is practically impossible to do one full card. It takes me 2/3 hours to do one race. And today, I decided to stop using track variants as my results have not shown that it directly affects the final outcome. I did a race yesterday at Santa Anita for Sport of Kings Tournament and everything in terms of final analysis pointed to Cabo Spirit and I put my pick in very early compared to the race with his M/L 6-1. Now I watched the race and before post he was at 7-1. Then, late money had him hammered to 5/2. I had bet him myself on the tote board at 7-1. Where I am, no fixed odds. Can not wait til this gets into our market.

All Data is very similar but geez you have to have the time and the patience to throw these functions and import PP data and then be able to teach a machine programming that will extract this data. I think it could work but I could imagine the cost of explaining to someone the type of programming that I require that would incorporate. So, at a dilemma, because I love doing the work, but to narrow it down is the question.

Chuck
What race are you using for your calculations? In Sartin parlance, how do you select your pace line?
Old 01-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #34
JeremyJet
Handicapper

I created my own algorithm and wrote a spreadsheet with Google Sheets. If I can do it anyone can.

Here is a link I used as a reference.

https://support.google.com/docs/table/25273?hl=en

I also watched a lot of YouTube videos.

If you want it bad enough you will get it done. You will experience frustration along the way, but stick with it no matter how long it takes.

Good luck to you.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #35
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
I created my own algorithm and wrote a spreadsheet with Google Sheets. If I can do it anyone can.

Here is a link I used as a reference.

https://support.google.com/docs/table/25273?hl=en

I also watched a lot of YouTube videos.

If you want it bad enough you will get it done. You will experience frustration along the way, but stick with it no matter how long it takes.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:11 PM   #36
wiretowire68

Man that is an awesome question because as Brohamer suggests it takes practice. I guess I try to be as fair to each horse as possible and the closest to the last start as possible but if they have run the same beyer figure or closest to beyer par at the same class and distance and throwout the horses who on paper look like non-contenders. I know from being a Valuecapper owner that Mr. Pizzola uses two lines in his software to get his Master Pace . Right now, just one is enough for me. I am reading about track variants right now, confusing because it is 30 years ago. The whole taking away of points per length and adding is confusing because each track and time has pars. I am using is 16-18 variant as the norm and penalizing horses variants.

I am starting to take alot of interest and I know it is not spoken of or at least I do not hear people speaking about it but if you look at weather and I am not talking about how weather affects the wind speed etc. Obviously the numbers change and beyer speeds and variants drop between late fall and winter to the late summer. This affects horses how they run, my belief some like running in the cooler, colder conditions, some do not. So the pattern figures and speed variants fluctate in terms of track change and seasons change.

It shows in places like New York, Maryland, Toronto. Barometer affects horses big time so I believe there is nothing wrong with taking a paceline from point in time or same time of year or would be considered really cold vs very hot. This is so particularly true when it comes to the toughest horses who run every three or works in the smaller claimers. These to me personally are the toughest horses and the best, they work hard all year round. I will check out this link. If I could ever figure out how to make the pp's fit. I just do not have the patience.

Chuck
Old 01-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #37
wiretowire68

Ok so what functions are you using?
Old 01-04-2022, 02:20 PM   #38
ranchwest

Quote:
Man that is an awesome question because as Brohamer suggests it takes practice. I guess I try to be as fair to each horse as possible and the closest to the last start as possible but if they have run the same beyer figure or closest to beyer par at the same class and distance and throwout the horses who on paper look like non-contenders. I know from being a Valuecapper owner that Mr. Pizzola uses two lines in his software to get his Master Pace . Right now, just one is enough for me. I am reading about track variants right now, confusing because it is 30 years ago. The whole taking away of points per length and adding is confusing because each track and time has pars. I am using is 16-18 variant as the norm and penalizing horses variants.

I am starting to take alot of interest and I know it is not spoken of or at least I do not hear people speaking about it but if you look at weather and I am not talking about how weather affects the wind speed etc. Obviously the numbers change and beyer speeds and variants drop between late fall and winter to the late summer. This affects horses how they run, my belief some like running in the cooler, colder conditions, some do not. So the pattern figures and speed variants fluctate in terms of track change and seasons change.

It shows in places like New York, Maryland, Toronto. Barometer affects horses big time so I believe there is nothing wrong with taking a paceline from point in time or same time of year or would be considered really cold vs very hot. This is so particularly true when it comes to the toughest horses who run every three or works in the smaller claimers. These to me personally are the toughest horses and the best, they work hard all year round. I will check out this link. If I could ever figure out how to make the pp's fit. I just do not have the patience.

Chuck
I don't adjust for variants. I try to avoid lines with extreme variants because I have no idea how the extreme variant impacted the horse. I don't want to assume, for example, that a horse that ran well on a slow track will run equally better on a normal variant track. You might want to take a different approach, but that is how I operate.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #39
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:

Chuck
Be careful of using a line with a top fig.

I just put out some info on this in the HTR Forum....

My belief is that horse moving up (class) off a top win fig has not faired well at most tracks...

Mr Pizzola is smart in using 2 lines. A lot of software keys on that one line and makes the horse a false favorite...

IMO , of course

Mike

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 01-04-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:28 PM   #40
wiretowire68

I am not concentrating on the best line or the worse pace line. I am trying to find a paceline that is fair and representative to the form they are in at this point and what connections see as the position they are in order to get a paycheck. This is not an easy task. You could choose a specific sprint line even though the horse is routing or has routed in the past. I mean, how many times if and when you look at a horse depending on their age and see that their last race was their best beyer or 2B was their best beyer because a trainer is either smart enough to know what condition best fits the horse or a great guess. Then there are those horses who had their best beyer within the chart at another point in time, track, distance, class etc. I see the general pattern in terms of beyer speed figs which causes the fav. to be false in many races is that one huge beyer figure distorts and confuses the handicapper. Ever notice how there is a big figure with two smaller figures, the consistency lacks and therefore, the competive way to figure this out is average it out like most do and look for the best # via the track/distance etc. To me, they are either trending up or down or the same and comes down to the random of the post position, and trip and as Pizzola says coming into a race.

To me, the paceline, ya it is dangerous because the numbers get skewered if you choose the wrong ones. I try to find at least one in the latest cycle close enough to the conditions or horses that have faced each other which always helps. In terms of computer handicapping, still believe you have to use your gut instict. I had asked somone on here what functions they were using for their analysis but they did not share. I myself personally have nothing to hide, this is just passion for me and enlightenment in terms of the total understanding of handicapping horse racing on how it is changing and progressing. Everything changes but certain aspects of change are always rooted the same way. I am evolving and done this because I found myself losing focus when reading a race. I just cannot sit back and look at a piece of software and wait for a price. That is boring to me, the understanding of why the public does what it does and to understand how trainers are thinking along with the owners and the people that gamble on them. So, trying to add my AI to the equation in terms of experience and past sucesses and failures. Again, Pacelines and lines are not easy to see all the time, but you can only go with what is given to you. If I knew the right answer every time, I would not be bothering. It is an educated guess.

This is what makes it the most intriguing and interesting game of all because of the uncertainty that we try to make certain. So if anyone can help me with my gut feels and how to transmit the raw data into what I see. hey thanks, to me sharing is the way we get better and learn

Chuck
Old 01-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #41
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
I am not concentrating on the best line or the worse pace line. I am trying to find a paceline that is fair and representative to the form they are in at this point and what connections see as the position they are in order to get a paycheck. This is not an easy task. You could choose a specific sprint line even though the horse is routing or has routed in the past. I mean, how many times if and when you look at a horse depending on their age and see that their last race was their best beyer or 2B was their best beyer because a trainer is either smart enough to know what condition best fits the horse or a great guess. Then there are those horses who had their best beyer within the chart at another point in time, track, distance, class etc. I see the general pattern in terms of beyer speed figs which causes the fav. to be false in many races is that one huge beyer figure distorts and confuses the handicapper. Ever notice how there is a big figure with two smaller figures, the consistency lacks and therefore, the competive way to figure this out is average it out like most do and look for the best # via the track/distance etc. To me, they are either trending up or down or the same and comes down to the random of the post position, and trip and as Pizzola says coming into a race.

To me, the paceline, ya it is dangerous because the numbers get skewered if you choose the wrong ones. I try to find at least one in the latest cycle close enough to the conditions or horses that have faced each other which always helps. In terms of computer handicapping, still believe you have to use your gut instict. I had asked somone on here what functions they were using for their analysis but they did not share. I myself personally have nothing to hide, this is just passion for me and enlightenment in terms of the total understanding of handicapping horse racing on how it is changing and progressing. Everything changes but certain aspects of change are always rooted the same way. I am evolving and done this because I found myself losing focus when reading a race. I just cannot sit back and look at a piece of software and wait for a price. That is boring to me, the understanding of why the public does what it does and to understand how trainers are thinking along with the owners and the people that gamble on them. So, trying to add my AI to the equation in terms of experience and past sucesses and failures. Again, Pacelines and lines are not easy to see all the time, but you can only go with what is given to you. If I knew the right answer every time, I would not be bothering. It is an educated guess.

This is what makes it the most intriguing and interesting game of all because of the uncertainty that we try to make certain. So if anyone can help me with my gut feels and how to transmit the raw data into what I see. hey thanks, to me sharing is the way we get better and learn

Chuck
I can help you but Google Sheets can not import the DRF Files

The easiest way I do it is with ALLDATA but you need Office....Excel

You can buy the program or look on-line for "KEYS" if they are legit...

All in All , Office is a good investment..

Mike
Old 01-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #42
jay68802

I use google sheets and have no problems using Bris Ultimate PP's.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #43
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
I think you have to change the file extension to .csv to import it. As far as keys, a while ago I bought Office Professional Plus 2016 from keys.direct. It's a legitimate key, but grey market. If M$ decides that the volume license is no longer valid then the product key will no longer be legit. But $25 versus $350 or whatever they charge? It's a no-brainer. That said, don't take this as an endorsement for keys.direct. My experience was fine. YMMV.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post

The easiest way I do it is with ALLDATA but you need Office....Excel

You can buy the program or look on-line for "KEYS" if they are legit...

All in All , Office is a good investment..

Mike
Open Office is Fee.
Two versions, Appache and Libre, both open Excel files.

Last edited by Tom; 01-04-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #45
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I think you have to change the file extension to .csv to import it. As far as keys, a while ago I bought Office Professional Plus 2016 from keys.direct. It's a legitimate key, but grey market. If M$ decides that the volume license is no longer valid then the product key will no longer be legit. But $25 versus $350 or whatever they charge? It's a no-brainer. That said, don't take this as an endorsement for keys.direct. My experience was fine. YMMV.
Your right about the re-name thxs....

I'm used to ALLDATA for about 6 years anyway ..no need to re-event wheel
I bought my Key on EBAY for 9.99

They are no longer there but still works....

Well, I had to reinstall a file that a Windows Up-DATE killed....

but still good

mike

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: