Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #151
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Vic, there's no rule or principle where stewards are supposed to act differently because it's a graded stake. If a move is a foul in a $10,000 claimer, it's a foul in a big stakes race.

I really hope that stewards aren't considering this as a factor in their decisions (and to be clear, I have never seen any evidence that they do- California has seen several famous DQ's in big races, including several Santa Anita Handicaps and the first BC Classic, and of course Maximum Security was properly taken down in the Kentucky Derby). Horses interfered with in graded stakes races, and their connections, are entitled to equal protection as horses interfered with in cheap races.
You're 100% correct. I probably should have made my point in a different way. It was a Graded Stake and that is part of the discussion. However, the rulebook is the same regardless.

IMO the incident didn't warrant a disqualification.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #152
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Who knew Irad and I were buddies. I mis learn something new from each of your posts.

I'm quoted in the Thoroughbred Daily News article about his suspension.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...d-for-30-days/

As usual, you're firing on all cylinders.
It wasn’t a direct quote to that publication but rather what you posted on Twitter. Also I listened to the podcast and you were very safe about what you said regarding Irad’s ride. “ He’s a great rider and a nice guy “. I get it ,you work for NYRA and that is Irad’s home track. I don’t expect you to come across as critical as someone with no connection at all. It’s just that you seemed very casual about the whole incident. It’s not the first time Irad has gone to the rail without looking. In fact it’s a signature move of his( three jockeys I know said this ). I remember the same type of move by Irad when Maylan Studart rode a horse called “ Big Wonder” six months ago. Anyway I will still always appreciate your analysis on Talking Horses.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #153
1mileto7Fcutback
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
It wasn’t a direct quote to that publication but rather what you posted on Twitter. Also I listened to the podcast and you were very safe about what you said regarding Irad’s ride. “ He’s a great rider and a nice guy “. I get it ,you work for NYRA and that is Irad’s home track. I don’t expect you to come across as critical as someone with no connection at all. It’s just that you seemed very casual about the whole incident. It’s not the first time Irad has gone to the rail without looking. In fact it’s a signature move of his( three jockeys I know said this ). I remember the same type of move by Irad when Maylan Studart rode a horse called “ Big Wonder” six months ago. Anyway I will still always appreciate your analysis on Talking Horses.
Dude, he was critical of it on Twitter and in the podcast.

What more would you like him to say?
1mileto7Fcutback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #154
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mileto7Fcutback View Post
Dude, he was critical of it on Twitter and in the podcast.

What more would you like him to say?
I'll never be good enough for the haters. I'm either too mean to the jockeys or too nice to them. It's laughable.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #155
westernmassbob

Quote:
I'll never be good enough for the haters. I'm either too mean to the jockeys or too nice to them. It's laughable.
See that’s what I mean, nobody should expect you to be mean or nice to a jockey other then in a personal setting. My point is when you first addressed the issue you said Irad is a great jockey and a good guy. There is no need to be passive aggressive. That had nothing to do with the topic at hand. This is about business and the conduct of a jockey that clearly has some issues he needs to work on. BTW I definitely don’t hate you and I’m not a hater.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #156
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
I surmise that means you are doing a great job.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #157
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
See that’s what I mean, nobody should expect you to be mean or nice to a jockey other then in a personal setting. My point is when you first addressed the issue you said Irad is a great jockey and a good guy. There is no need to be passive aggressive. That had nothing to do with the topic at hand. This is about business and the conduct of a jockey that clearly has some issues he needs to work on. BTW I definitely don’t hate you and I’m not a hater.
Why can't he also be a great jockey (he is) and a good guy in general...and still have these issues?

And btw, I don't think there has been an analyst who has been criticized more for being outspoken...to the point he was fired, I believe, decades ago by a prior NYRA administration for his candidness on jockeys (or was it a trainer, I can't remember).

Anyway, the point is, criticizing Andy for NOT being critical enough of jockeys/trainers is kind of a strange road to travel down when in reality, he's been pretty much the opposite.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #158
classhandicapper

Irad reminds me of the kind of young guy that is so competitive, the line between good strategic race riding and careless dangerous riding isn’t clear to him yet. I don’t think he’s a bad guy. He’s young. We (and he) should be thankful he has a chance to learn before someone got hurt. If he keeps it up, then he’s got a bigger issue and the stewards will have to come down really hard.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #159
davew

just got off of suspension and riding at Gulfstream for a couple days before injury in gate ... that coud keep him away 3-4 weeks

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...shing%20noted.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #160
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
just got off of suspension and riding at Gulfstream for a couple days before injury in gate ... that coud keep him away 3-4 weeks

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...shing%20noted.
some said it should have been a longer suspension. Is this a god works in mysterious ways kind of thing?

I just think it was bad luck.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2022, 05:54 PM   #161
davew

Irad is happy camper

after winning the Pegasus World Cup Invitational he thanked all the connections and his doctor that got him so he could ride

3 wins, 2 second, 2 thirds on Pegasus day .... wow
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2022, 06:27 PM   #162
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Irad is happy camper

after winning the Pegasus World Cup Invitational he thanked all the connections and his doctor that got him so he could ride

3 wins, 2 second, 2 thirds on Pegasus day .... wow
...and he got to foul someone, cause a chain reaction, and get away with it! Just a typical day at the office for him.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2022, 04:07 PM   #163
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Irad was just DQed (GP, R7, 2-18) and deservedly so in my opinion. Tough for a tiger to change its stripes.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 11:21 PM   #164
dilanesp

He is up to his old tricks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/raypaulic...97858297995275
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 11:26 PM   #165
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Being discussed in the Golden Pal thread.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply