Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
westernmassbob

Question about quick horse starts in longer races

Im assuming everyone has liked or bet a horse at one time or another that ran fractions early on that would seal its own fate. Usually these horses are all alone on the lead early by several lengths and a natural reaction would be WTF is the jockey doing ? It seems to happen a lot in longer races and I was wondering if that mostly has to do with a horses running style or some type of strategy? Don’t get me wrong I have seen horses win this way but it’s very rare. Also does anyone know if there is a pattern to a horse running this way and then cut back in distance the next race ?
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
ranchwest

If a horse is NTL (needs to lead), the strategy is often to see if it can win with the lead. If it doesn't win, it often strengthens the horse for a future out and also somewhat darkens the form. Look for a horse with a faster than normal (for that horse) early pace. The distance has more to do with bloodlines, in my opinion.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: