Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #46
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The last two days have probably been the slowest dirt surface I've ever seen in North American, even slower than the Mountaineer winterized tracks from days gone by.

A little horn tooting, TimeformUS Power Picks had the winner of races 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 picked right on top. The other winners were picked second (R1) and third (R6). And this wasn't any chalkfest, the winners picked on top paid a combined $65 on top.

Last edited by cj; 12-21-2017 at 12:57 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #47
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The last two days have probably been the slowest dirt surface I've ever seen in North American, even slower than the Mountaineer winterized tracks from days gone by.

A little horn tooting, TimeformUS Power Picks had the winner of races 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 picked right on top. The other winners were picked second (R1) and third (R6). And this wasn't any chalkfest, the winners picked on top paid a combined $65 on top.
Great 'Capping! Hope you hit the Pick 6. It paid $1100 for $.20. When The Mountainman comes to MVR on December 30th, it is the must give away day for the Pick 6. The pool is now over 14K.

RR
Old 12-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #48
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
Great 'Capping! Hope you hit the Pick 6. It paid $1100 for $.20. When The Mountainman comes to MVR on December 30th, it is the must give away day for the Pick 6. The pool is now over 14K.

RR
I didn't, I'm mostly a vertical guy. I have a hard enough time getting one race right!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #49
rrpic6

Should be lots of fun 'capping MVR races after Christmas. The barns are full and the entries are overflowing. 10 races on both 12/26 and 12/27. Post time is moved back to 12:15 both days. An average of 10.45 horses per race should appeal to everyone!

RR
Old 12-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #50
mountainman

Big day. Almost 3-1 on first race winner Wendy Peffercorn, who should have been 7/5. I'm sure that a perplexingly low beyer assigned to her Hawthorne race chilled the public considerably. The winner of that race had just crushed her debut for a 79, but supposedly regressed some 30 points (????) while taking her second start by more than 8 lengths?????????? I have simply never heard of or seen such a thing.

I also thought 2-1 was more than generous on Royal'd in the second. But the xmas score came on April Fools Vision ($25) in race-7. She's a deep closer who had travelled the final quarter in 24&change three back for an off-track win, and had made an uncharacteristically early move last start while racing on synthetics, which she detests.

Just an incredible track to bet.

BTW, FYI, fellow board members, most of the races were hand-timed today.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-23-2017 at 09:48 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #51
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Big day. Almost 3-1 on first race winner Wendy Peffercorn, who should have been 7/5. I'm sure that a perplexingly low beyer assigned to her Hawthorne race chilled the public considerably. The winner of that race had just crushed her debut for a 79, but supposedly regressed some 30 points (????) while taking her second start by more than 8 lengths?????????? I have simply never heard of or seen such a thing.

Wonder if that was a typo on the figure? I had the winner of that race getting the same number in both starts. We're never that far apart on a race.

Quote:
This part is just pitiful. There is no excuse for this, been going on since the place opened.

Last edited by cj; 12-23-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #52
mountainman

Quote:
Wonder if that was a typo on the figure? I had the winner of that race getting the same number in both starts. We're never that far apart on a race.
Glad you addressed it...was going to pm and ask about your number.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #53
rrpic6

Quote:
If you don't like the weather in Ohio, just wait for a few minutes. Or in this case, the track condition. 3 track records were set this past week at Mahoning Valley. Altissimo, an Ohio Bred no less, ran 6 furlongs in 108.63 Wednesday. Quite a feat despite the frozen surface. There is NO run up for 6 furlong races. On Tuesday, U and Tequila blazed 4 1/2 furlongs in 50.82. She is now 7 for 8 at MVR. In her only loss, she crossed the finish line 1st, but without a jockey aboard! The mile record was also broken in Race 1 on Wednesday.

Saturday is a must give away day for all pools. The Pick 4 has a carryover of over $12K while the $.20 pick 6 is at over $22K. The card looks tough to handicap. I wouldn't be surprised to see single tickets hit either pool.

Good Luck on Saturday!

RR
Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #54
FakeNameChanged

Quote:

I also thought 2-1 was more than generous on Royal'd in the second. But the xmas score came on April Fools Vision ($25) in race-7. She's a deep closer who had travelled the final quarter in 24&change three back for an off-track win, and had made an uncharacteristically early move last start while racing on synthetics, which she detests.

Just an incredible track to bet.

mm, how is the hand timing done? Does the timer(s) use binoculars from grandstand and snap a digital watch, or is the timing followed up by studying the video? Is it a single timer, or two or three and then averaged? When I first started going to the track, I tried this myself using binoc's and NEVER came close to the reported times, while sitting on the finish line.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #55
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
If you don't like the weather in Ohio, just wait for a few minutes. Or in this case, the track condition. 3 track records were set this past week at Mahoning Valley. Altissimo, an Ohio Bred no less, ran 6 furlongs in 108.63 Wednesday. Quite a feat despite the frozen surface. There is NO run up for 6 furlong races. On Tuesday, U and Tequila blazed 4 1/2 furlongs in 50.82. She is now 7 for 8 at MVR. In her only loss, she crossed the finish line 1st, but without a jockey aboard! The mile record was also broken in Race 1 on Wednesday.

Saturday is a must give away day for all pools. The Pick 4 has a carryover of over $12K while the $.20 pick 6 is at over $22K. The card looks tough to handicap. I wouldn't be surprised to see single tickets hit either pool.

Good Luck on Saturday!

RR
LOL, same here in Oklahoma.

The consecutive racing days of the 23rd and the 26th are the biggest swings in track speed I've ever seen, and I don't even think it is close.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #56
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
mm, how is the hand timing done? Does the timer(s) use binoculars from grandstand and snap a digital watch, or is the timing followed up by studying the video? Is it a single timer, or two or three and then averaged? When I first started going to the track, I tried this myself using binoc's and NEVER came close to the reported times, while sitting on the finish line.
One of the stewards hand times from the replay. Hand-timing is not done as a precautionary measure, nor because of forewarning about faulty equipment. It's done by a steward from the replay when necessary...fractions not included

Btw,,,it just amazes me how infrequently that surface becomes full-blown speed-biased. Not even a frozen track enabling supersonic times gives the early leader a real edge.

Also, fyi, there IS no run-up for 6-furlong races. Which might (just partially) explain why first quarter splits at that distance seem disproportionately slow.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-28-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #57
mountainman

Quote:
LOL, same here in Oklahoma.

The consecutive racing days of the 23rd and the 26th are the biggest swings in track speed I've ever seen, and I don't even think it is close.
Mvr wasn't scraped. It was frozen just below the surface. How odd. At least to a guy whose home oval contains too many weird chemicals to conform to any law of science and temperature.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #58
mountainman

Quote:

Good Luck on Saturday!

RR
Boy, was it OVER when Tequila fell out of there in front?? lol...her achilles is a lack of quickness, but her top-speed is overwhelming.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:23 PM   #59
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Mvr wasn't scraped. It was frozen just below the surface. How odd. At least to a guy whose home oval contains too many weird chemicals to conform to any law of science and temperature.
Who said it was scraped?
Old 12-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #60
mountainman

Appearance at tomorrow's MVR seminar cancelled. Apparently, management nixed it because I've been critical of the place-which I have been in several regards.

It's their perogative, and I respect their right to run their facility and seminars as they see fit. But it is my right, of course, to continue being critical when I see fit.

And I WILL continue patronizing MVR and encouraging other players to do likewise. Just as I'll continue to generate handle by advising or partnering there with several big players who bet with both fists. It's a great track to bet on.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: