Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
How does it deter an arms race as you say? If anything it encourages one. If they advertised the real purse it is lower than the World Cup.
Because it is fake it can be as high as Stronach wants it. As long as racing accepts the fake number it isn't worth it for Dubai to try to outbid it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Because it is fake it can be as high as Stronach wants it. As long as racing accepts the fake number it isn't worth it for Dubai to try to outbid it.
I think the article shows it isn't going to be accepted. That was one of the reasons I posted it. I think the Jockey Club will have to react and adjust how they report the earnings now.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #18
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
And if Dubai DOES outbid Stronach...THEN what? To what extent should Stronach go to make sure that he wins this "ridiculously important" bidding war?
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
And if Dubai DOES outbid Stronach...THEN what? To what extent should Stronach go to make sure that he wins this "ridiculously important" bidding war?
I said this before the race this year. Let's just have 12 people put up a billion dollars, and we learned they don't really have to put it up anyway, and guarantee a return of $999,500,000, and call it a $12 billion dollar race. If they are going to lie, make it a really good one!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #20
dilanesp

Quote:
I think the article shows it isn't going to be accepted. That was one of the reasons I posted it. I think the Jockey Club will have to react and adjust how they report the earnings now.
I really hope they don't do this. The Pegasus purse lie is good for racing and bad for Dubai.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #21
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
why put a million up front when you just need to get your horse to saudi arabia for a change at the big bucks

Allan
lasix
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #22
Denny
Veteran

Pegasus is a Stronach fraud and everyone knows it.

The new Saudi race hasn't announced it's date yet. They could schedule it to screw with Stronach if they put it close enough to the Pegasus to divert our best horses to them instead.

Could run in the Saudi race and go to Dubai after. The Pegasus will be a short-lived piece of history, a foot-note and not a legacy. Poor Frank.

Will be interesting to see what they decide to do for their 15 to 20 million.

The Sport of Kings indeed.

Last edited by Denny; 04-17-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #23
burnsy
self medicated

The casual Horse Fan and non horse people don't even know what the Pegasus and Dubai World Cup are. Don't believe me? Ask around. How does some BS inflated purse with 2 contenders help racing?

Last edited by burnsy; 04-18-2018 at 11:25 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #24
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I don't buy that. What is crucial is getting the best horses to run, and so far they have done that. The fake purse isn't getting them there, the real purse is.
Did the runners get paid $16m or not? Unless they didn't, then the purse snout of $16m was real.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #25
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Did the runners get paid $16m or not? Unless they didn't, then the purse snout of $16m was real.
No, they did not. Did you read the article?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
No, they did not. Did you read the article?
Yes, I did. While they went into the race owing an entry fee (or part of it), it still looked like a payout of $16m to me (I didn't add it all up).

While it may be the first one or only one with this large of an entry fee that doesn't have to be on the counter before the start of the race, it is far from the only one. Most don't require it to be on account for everything other than the Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup races .
Old 04-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Yes, I did. While they went into the race owing an entry fee (or part of it), it still looked like a payout of $16m to me (I didn't add it all up).

While it may be the first one or only one with this large of an entry fee that doesn't have to be on the counter before the start of the race, it is far from the only one. Most don't require it to be on account for everything other than the Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup races .
If they never paid the fee and it wasn't paid out, that isn't a purse to me. Like I've said, may as well make it a billion a horse with this kind of accounting.

The money was never in play. I said this in the past and that was before I knew they didn't really pay the entry fee, just a fraction of it. Not only was the money never in play, it wasn't even real. And that doesn't even count the three horses that were added late as Stronach entries. The whole thing was a sham.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #28
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
If they never paid the fee and it wasn't paid out, that isn't a purse to me. Like I've said, may as well make it a billion a horse with this kind of accounting.

The money was never in play. I said this in the past and that was before I knew they didn't really pay the entry fee, just a fraction of it. Not only was the money never in play, it wasn't even real. And that doesn't even count the three horses that were added late as Stronach entries. The whole thing was a sham.
Again, is the purse not in play all the many times horses are run without the entry being paid prior to running? Is the money not real when it's deducted from the account, against earnings, or even when it leaves a balance owed in the account?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Again, is the purse not in play all the many times horses are run without the entry being paid prior to running? Is the money not real when it's deducted from the account, against earnings, or even when it leaves a balance owed in the account?
I have no idea if connections aren't paying entry fees before running, but if they aren't that is a bad precedent. It also isn't the same thing because I would think they have to pay up if the horse runs out. That is never an issue here because it is all fake. If you can't see that there isn't much else I can say.

The other interesting part is that owners were surprised how little they got back in year one from betting. I told you that was coming if you remember. Gulfstream makes less on handle than other tracks do. I'll leave it others to figure out why. I've discussed it before.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #30
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I have no idea if connections aren't paying entry fees before running, but if they aren't that is a bad precedent. It also isn't the same thing because I would think they have to pay up if the horse runs out. That is never an issue here because it is all fake. If you can't see that there isn't much else I can say.

The other interesting part is that owners were surprised how little they got back in year one from betting. I told you that was coming if you remember. Gulfstream makes less on handle than other tracks do. I'll leave it others to figure out why. I've discussed it before.
In every stakes not the TC or BC, no entry money is required up front, so it's not a prerequisite usually. Of course, given this large sum, one would expect them to collect this one up front, but I see the point of not requiring someone to get THAT kind of cash liquidated to put on account if it's a given that they will be earning that amount back.

It was totally unexplored ground where they went with the Pegasus. I don't see how anyone should've been surprised at anything except that they'd be surprised. This one is a tough one to get off the ground, but no doubt Stronach was/is hoping that it can garner enough other income like the BC did to be able to fund it in short order without requiring the huge entry fees. It's not been easy and he's pulling a lot of his own pockets to try to make it work, and I hope that they can keep chugging along until it's able to stand on its own two feet.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: