Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Picking the right closers key to hitting the Superfecta

In the past 10 years Of the 40 possible finish opportunities, closers/deep closers accounted for 25 of the slots, or 60%.

At least two closer/deep closers hit the superfecta in nine of the past 10 editions (90%) of the Kentucky Derby. Four of 10 races (40%) featured three or more closer types hitting the top four positions.

Third and fourth place accounted for the vast majority of closer finishes with nearly 70% of the 20 available slots taken up by them.

75% of the 20-1+ board hitters were closers/deep closers.

So who are your top closers?
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
There are very few true Brisnet S types in this renwal. Haikal, WWW, and Country House fit the bill. Wouldn't be shocked to see any of them hit the super nor would I be surprised if its a merry go round given much of the field has shown decent LP figures.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Curln22

Me thinks you will see WWW closer to the pace with the Jock change.
I’m saying he is at the back of the first pack
GL
Curln22 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curln22 View Post
Me thinks you will see WWW closer to the pace with the Jock change.
I’m saying he is at the back of the first pack
GL
if he can break like a normal damn horse... he breaks like a real jerk off... just saying
Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

If the price is big enough, and Shug/JohnnyV patiently stay the course, then you have a decent value long shot gamble.

But the pressure is going to be there, to 'adjust' and be closer to the pace. He had that dream-trip in the FOY where he was sitting fairly close. Then that 'helpless' pace-dependent feeling in the Florida Derby.

There's a real danger that he will adjust tactics, and mess up the angle.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
If the price is big enough, and Shug/JohnnyV patiently stay the course, then you have a decent value long shot gamble.

But the pressure is going to be there, to 'adjust' and be closer to the pace. He had that dream-trip in the FOY where he was sitting fairly close. Then that 'helpless' pace-dependent feeling in the Florida Derby.

There's a real danger that he will adjust tactics, and mess up the angle.
My key in all the plays Robert!!!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
My key in all the plays Robert!!!
Good luck.

He's a tough read. Seems like a solid horse.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Good luck.

He's a tough read. Seems like a solid horse.
Agree, thought the FD was better than it looked for him. We will see!!!!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
clicknow

Quote:

Third and fourth place accounted for the vast majority of closer finishes with nearly 70% of the 20 available slots taken up by them.
Except for Mine That Bird, Street Sense, Giacomo, Monarchos, and Fu Peg.

....and late types like Animal Kingdom, I'll Have Another, Super Saver.

I certainly find it "interesting" that closers and deep closers are always relegated to bottom of superfecta, while so many cappers are picking horses like Goldencents instead and keep saying how late runnners don't ever win .

Seems like being stuck in a hangover from the "steroid age" where horses ran huge figs and that was all that mattered. Either that, or they just like chalk. Sure, you could have put anybody aboard justify or american pharoah, probably even somebody from the crowd, and they would have won. But the E7 meme is getting too much play IMHO.

Last edited by clicknow; 04-23-2019 at 04:43 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I certainly find it "interesting" that closers and deep closers are always relegated to bottom of superfecta, while so many cappers are picking horses like Goldencents instead and keep saying how late runnners don't ever win.
Depends on the horses. I hated Goldencents. I played Exaggerator and Orb. I used others like Audible underneath that hit the money. Tacitus is a decent horse if you want to define him as a closer otherwise I don't see much in this renewal resembling the quality of the three I mentioned.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #11
clicknow

Quote:
I am surprised CoH is considered a long shot here.

In the Top 10 Derby Contenders topic, I was only member on Page 1 to list him in my top 10......then one person on page 2 liked him. 3 pages of posts and he was mentioned by exactly 2 people here in their top 10 and one being me.

Maybe somebody can explain the why of this.

Cuz, honestly, I haven't seen the lack of love for him elsewhere.

So hit me with your "why he isn't on anybody's top 10" yet.

I fully realize that once the talking heads get going, all sorts of previously unmentioned horses will get named, but I like you guys who participate in the early topics, before all that happens, cuz I respect those having an opinion that doesn't involve buying it or getting it from someone else, if you know what I mean.

(honestly, once all that garbage comes out, I pretty much ignore all the horse names 2-3 days out....)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
PowerUpPaynter

COH might be a 1 turn type... A horse like Country House might be a better gamble at even higher odds and you dont have to worry about the distance... (obviously talking about underneath) just gotta worry about if he is fast enough.... there's always a caveat
Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #13
señorclipclop

Quote:
In the past 10 years Of the 40 possible finish opportunities, closers/deep closers accounted for 25 of the slots, or 60%.

At least two closer/deep closers hit the superfecta in nine of the past 10 editions (90%) of the Kentucky Derby. Four of 10 races (40%) featured three or more closer types hitting the top four positions.

75% of the 20-1+ board hitters were closers/deep closers.

How do you define deep closers? 10+ lengths back at the 1/2th? Quirin?
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
clicknow

Quote:
COH might be a 1 turn type.
Really? With a sire who has Danehill as BMS? Danehill, who sired Dylan Thomas? I think he can get 11F++.

The fact that he was able to win at Gulfstream (and his m/l was 20-1) despite not being one of the high speed horses is just a testimony to how good he is. Mucho macho stakes was a blessing for the odds......a mile was much too short a distance for him and he also got bumped all over the place, like in the champagne, where he also stumbled. 1 mile is a joke for him......Gulfstream aint his track. I'm thinking you would not have liked Carry Back.
CoH just drips class to me...beautiful classy Farish homebred.

I want to see him do well, we need to get some o' that Sadler's Wells and Danehill blood over here more with American breeders. They will do just fine on dirt despite those knees that go back a bit. that can all be bred out (but we missed the boat on this I think).

Last edited by clicknow; 04-23-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #15
clicknow

However, I'm with ya on country house but he is more of a belmont horse. They both may be.
gotta see how track comes up. Not feeling either of them on mud.