Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
linrom1
Veteran

Pegasus PPs and GP

By the time they'll publish the PPs, I'll lose all interest. No, thanks, the sport can't do anything right!

I can't wait to bet all the claiming trash can races that GP is putting forward between now and Sat..28 total;.yeah GP got it right especially their turf races on dirt. The ones on Sat don't look all that promising either, their graded stakes are devoid of any class runners, except the turf sprit if Morticia will run.

All the top trainers from the northeast must be taking time off at the farm too!
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I love "claiming trash can races" and maidens too! They are far and away my favorite races to handicap.

Whilst many here complain about the quality of the cards these days, I've never been happier in my 32 1/2 years of betting.

This is not sarcasm, I am serious.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Give me a nickel claimer nw1, 6 months any day.
9-2 pays $11 no matter what class the race is.

(When I started playing, $5,000 claimers were what we looked forward to - the classy horses!)

Last edited by Tom; 01-23-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
jay68802

Fonner Park is opening soon. $2500 N2L races, Yeah Baby, bring it. By the way at Fonner N2L means for horses that have not injured 2 legs.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Denny
Veteran

Turf writers and what to bet

Turf writers have been trying to convince us forever that only Stakes races matter.

That's a big reason the sport is in the shape it's in.

When I was young, many years ago, people enjoyed betting horses from just reading the entries in the newspaper.

It didn't matter the Class. People wanted action.

Turf writing authorities have done the game no favors by only talking and writing about Stakes.

The tracks pay the same way - no matter the level - and a race is just as exciting when your money is on the line and they're coming down the stretch.

The Speed Figure guys are also a big part of the problem. They want you to believe a horse is only good if it runs a big number.

Which is a lot of BS IMO.

I make more money betting nw6500,optional claimers, or the like, in harness racing than i ever did betting the Grand Circuit.

Thoroughbreds are no different.

Don't fall for the hype.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Fonner Park is opening soon. $2500 N2L races, Yeah Baby, bring it. By the way at Fonner N2L means for horses that have not injured 2 legs.
I played a few cards there last year-didn't do very well. I have very fond memories of my dad taking me there when I was a kid. I hope they do well! I might lose a few dollars there this season or might go for a live card
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
jay68802

I been there opening weekend for 25 of the last 30 yrs. Remember, any horse "previously trained by.....and not claimed from a race is a bet against.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Afleet

Quote:
I been there opening weekend for 25 of the last 30 yrs. Remember, any horse "previously trained by.....and not claimed from a race is a bet against.
interesting-hope I can remember that. Does Fonner get $5k in the pick 3/trifecta pools?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
interesting-hope I can remember that. Does Fonner get $5k in the pick 3/trifecta pools?
maybe the tri, I got the whole Pick 3 pool once and it paid just over $800.00.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
River11
Murray KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
I love "claiming trash can races" and maidens too! They are far and away my favorite races to handicap.

Whilst many here complain about the quality of the cards these days, I've never been happier in my 32 1/2 years of betting.

This is not sarcasm, I am serious.
Agreed, weened on River Downs, Latonia and Beulah. Later Cahokia and Fairmont.
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #11
River11
Murray KY

Quote:
maybe the tri, I got the whole Pick 3 pool once and it paid just over $800.00.
Once in the early 90's thoroughbred meet at Bluegrass Downs had the single ticket pick 3 for $500.
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
jay68802

They started a $.50 "rainbow" pick 5 that has really affected the pick 3, and pick 4 pools.

We had a race last year, the highest speed figure in the 8 horses was 24. Horse was beaten by 15 lengths and only beat 1 horse. Showed no early speed and went wire to wire as the favorite. Gave us all a good laugh.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:15 PM   #13
mikekk

I scooped the place pool at one of the up-country tracks here back in the 90's. Horse paid something like $6.20 to win, $72.00 to place. Proving once again the win/place is a viable strategy!
mikekk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
fiznow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Turf writers have been trying to convince us forever that only Stakes races matter.

That's a big reason the sport is in the shape it's in.

When I was young, many years ago, people enjoyed betting horses from just reading the entries in the newspaper.

It didn't matter the Class. People wanted action.

Turf writing authorities have done the game no favors by only talking and writing about Stakes.

The tracks pay the same way - no matter the level - and a race is just as exciting when your money is on the line and they're coming down the stretch.

The Speed Figure guys are also a big part of the problem. They want you to believe a horse is only good if it runs a big number.

I make more money betting nw6500,optional claimers, or the like, in harness racing than i ever did betting the Grand Circuit.

Thoroughbreds are no different.

Don't fall for the hype.
Well said, I agree. And I never thought just Stakes races are the best races to bet on and to make money.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

You must be rich by now then...cause a lot of people use speed figures, and if you know something they don't, you should be owning your own island by now.

And yeah, I can see what you mean...I see horses that run 50 Beyers beating horses than run 105 Beyers all the time...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply