Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 12:39 AM   #16
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Orientals? Huh?
Sorry, "Orient" is an archaic use for "Near East" which Dubai is part of...I'm Old School when it comes to geographical and cultural terms...

"Orientals" are now considered to be "Far Easterners" ...but it didn't used to be this way...

Occident (Europe)
Orient (Near East)
Far East (China, Japan,etc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_studies

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-27-2018 at 12:47 AM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 01:06 AM   #17
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Sorry, "Orient" is an archaic use for "Near East" which Dubai is part of...I'm Old School when it comes to geographical and cultural terms...

"Orientals" are now considered to be "Far Easterners" ...but it didn't used to be this way...

Occident (Europe)
Orient (Near East)
Far East (China, Japan,etc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_studies
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Porta...and_literature
Old 01-27-2018, 04:01 AM   #18
depalma113

Ummmm....A west coast based horse won both the Pegasus and the Dubai World Cup last year.

If Stronach was trying to save the Big Cap, this was an incredibly stupid way to try it.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 04:07 AM   #19
fiznow

Yes I think it's a competition Stronach aginst Dubai too.
Why do you think Sheik Al Maktoum didn't send a horse to the Pegasus Cup?
He always runs horses in the Breeders Cup races though.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:13 AM   #20
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiznow View Post
Yes I think it's a competition Stronach aginst Dubai too.
Why do you think Sheik Al Maktoum didn't send a horse to the Pegasus Cup?
He always runs horses in the Breeders Cup races though.
Putting up your own money would be too much like gambling which I think might be prohibited but I'm no expert on the religious stuff..
Old 01-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #21
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If I were Frank I would make it a $125,000,000. Just sell the slots for $10,000,000 and guarantee every horse will get back $9,750,000. If you're going to make up a fake number might as well make it a good one.
Out of curiosity, how fake did you call all the times where the Sheikh won the DWC (or any of the races, or any $ winning position) and simply paid himself?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #22
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I still think it is a SHAM that any entrant gets credited with $400,000 purse earnings on his career TOTALS just for running, no matter where they finish...that's a big deal from a potential breeding perspective and could catapult a mid-range earner to one that "earned" over 1 million in purses...PHONEY earnings INFLATION that an owner "pays for"...
Breeders aren't quite as stupid as you think. They don't care about purse earnings. They care about having black type, on a sliding scale of minor black type up to G1 winner. How much they earned for winning that G1 isn't relative to looking at the horse's breeding merits.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #23
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Putting up your own money would be too much like gambling which I think might be prohibited but I'm no expert on the religious stuff..
Uh, he puts up his own money for the DWC. And maybe every other race in Dubai, as I have no idea how they're funded given that betting is against the law in Dubai.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

I thought the Pegasus was going to be a major flop.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

This year's field is outstanding. Easily argued that it is better than the BC Classic as the top 5 finishers are entered along with the great stories of Stellar Wind and Toast of New York along with Sharp Azteca.

Toss in a $3.6 million Rainbow 6 carryover and the dreary days of January have some serious excitement today.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
As soon as you see Pegasus in the pps, you'll understand the horse's lifetime "money earned". Breeders know their side of the game. I don't think money earned in the Peg will fool them.

Out of curiosity, does anybody think that TSG would ever exercise the action of refusing an entry into the race? Just saying, "No, we aren't going to let you race that horse in here".
They are close to that every Navarro horse is at the detention barn 48 hours prior to the races. Since he is at GPW where security is non-existent that in itself has to be considered as close to "vetting" the entries as you can get, legally.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Dubai pus on a first class event.
This the freaking DONN operating under an alias, one that has been used already at the Meadowlands. Even the name if phony!
Old 01-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
Ummmm....A west coast based horse won both the Pegasus and the Dubai World Cup last year.

If Stronach was trying to save the Big Cap, this was an incredibly stupid way to try it.
He wasn't trying to save the Big Cap. The Big Cap is done.

He was fighting back against the people who destroyed it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
Those rules are for the little people over there. The ruling class doesn't follow them.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #29
GMB@BP

Beyond all the talk about purse structure and how the race value is phony the bottom line is for two years running the horse of the year stayed in training, and this year its as good a race as the BC Classic or better.

Beats the old Donn handicap this weekend,
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Out of curiosity, how fake did you call all the times where the Sheikh won the DWC (or any of the races, or any $ winning position) and simply paid himself?
That isn't the same thing. The money is actually up for grabs. That isn't the case for the Pegasus. About half the money is never in play. Listing the purse at 16 million is fake, as are the earnings the horses will be credited with after the race. Surely you can see that.

Like I said, it has turned out to be a great race and the purse is better than the Classic in reality. I just don't see the point of making up fake numbers.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: