Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Teach

SaratogaL Wednesday, July 30

Race One:

No help with “The Jumpers”.

Race Two:

My tepid, lukewarm, throw-darts-at-the-dartboard-blindfolded choice in this second race, a maiden claimer for New York State-breds at a mile and an eighth, is Brandini. The Mr. Prospector-bred filly was second in his last at Belmont in this same company over a month ago. In that one, he went off the chalk but finished second by a Manhattan city-block to a runaway winner. A chance to make amends here against a not too distinguished field. Oh, by the way, the filly has four seconds in seven lifetime starts. This filly will probably be somewhere mid pack throughout most of the race and then, in the late stages, mount a closing charge. Will it be enough? Will it be in time? The most capable Luis Saez is in the irons for trainer Jimmy Bond. Others: Bella Fachi; On a Snowy Evening; Confessa.

Race Three:

In this allowance sprint for New York State-breds, I’m casting my lot with Willet. This 6 year-old A.P. Indy-bred filly has been the model of consistency in her graded and ungraded stakes efforts; she’s hit the tote in eight of her ten most recent starts. Yet, I would caution that I do not consider this mare to be a lead-pipe cinch. However, she should benefit from her outside post and also any residual moisture left over from recent rains. Joel Rosario rides for trainer Jim Iselin.
Others: Here’s Zealicious; Galiana; Atlantic’s Smile.

Race Four:

Well, I must say that this race is tough to fathom, let alone handicap. I’m gonna do my best to see my way clear to picking a winner. Anyway, my choice in this claiming sprint is a longshot try, Cajun Wedding. The filly was claimed out of her last by a most capable trainer, Mike Maker. Maker is very good in first-time-after-a-claim races. The filly’s jockey is Rosie Napravnik. Rosie does very well in sprint races. Although the filly has won only once, and that being on a sloppy track (any residual moisture would help), in ten tries. I still believe the filly has as good a chance as any to take this race. She should benefit from stretching out an additional panel. Others: Rock Me Mama; Dash to the Flash; Da Wildcat Girl.

Race Five:

In this five-furlong maiden-special sprint for New York State-breds, I’m choosing Zo Zo. Zo Zo is an AE, and if she draws in, she can be a contender. This Maria’s Mon-bred filly (she’ll benefit from any moisture) disappointed in her last as a beaten fave in a similar race. I watched the replay. The filly got cut off by two or three horses outside of her as they pushed toward the turn. It all reminded me of the dog-eat-dog tactics of some drivers here in Boston on the Southeast Expressway. Then, the filly was checked, and checked again. Finally, the jockey moved her to the outside, but by then, it was too late. In a nutshell: a troubled trip. Well she now draws outside. She’ll be in the passing lane. I believe this filly’s chances improve, markedly. Joe Rocco, Jr. for Tony Dutrow. Others: Jessica’s Ride; Nonna Jo; Accelebrate

Race Six:

My pick in this claiming sprint is Kelwynne. The Yes It’s True-bred filly was fourth in her last. Yet, I believe her outside post enhances her chances of winning here. The filly should be close to the pace from her outside post. She will be in a position to pounce as the distaffers reach the top of the stretch. Her trainer, Steve Klesaris, is very good with horses running off a claim. He also does well with shippers. A solid recent five-panel work signals readiness. Angel Arroyo is in the irons. Others: Mama Zee; Rosie My Way; Purling.

Race Seven:

In this allowance mile on the Inner Turf for non-winners of two, I like Ear D’Rhythm. The filly was involved in a nasty spill in a large tightly-packed field in her last. She was improving her position in that one, but had no place to go . Well, the filly will have a chance to show what she can do against a weaker, smaller field. Cornelio Velasquez reprises his ride for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Others: Lonely Teardrops; Wine Burglar; Casey Roo

Race Eight:

In this 6-Furlong allowance, non-winners of two, lifetime, I’m going with 6 La Madrina. The Tapit-bred roan filly broke her maiden at first asking at Gulfstream back in late March; the roan filly then finished third in a similar race to today’s back as the beaten fave in mid May at Belmont. She now turns back a panel here. Her trainer “Shug” McGaughey, is very good with beaten favorites. The Pulpit-bred filly should be in a good position to close in on the leaders in the stretch. The red-hot Javier Castellano is in the irons. Others: Dear Mama; Queen to Be; Love You Loads

Race Nine:

In the ungraded Coronation Cup Stakes for 3-year-old fillies on the turf at 5 and ½ furlongs, I’m going with Recoupe. First, the Indian Charlie-bred filly is three for three on the lawn. This filly has outstanding early speed that should put her on the engine. If Rosie Napravnik can dole out that speed and keep her going, the filly can prevail. Mike Trombetta, good with shippers, trains. Yes, the filly is moving up in class; nonetheless, on her best she can get the job done. Others: Elena Strikes; [B]Hot Squeeze; Stars Above Me

Race Ten:

In the finale, a maiden-special route on the Inner Turf, my pick is: Identity Crisis. The A.P. Indy-bred colt was out of his element in the mile and one-quarter turf route, a race in which he finished last. However, prior to that, the colt was a closing third at Churchill Downs in a one-mile turf event. The colt’s morning work-tab is adequate. Julien Leparoux in the irons for trainer Ken McPeek. Admittedly, the colt is a bit of a reach; yet, if he fires, he could return dividends. Others: Candir; Alexahente; Same As

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply