Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #466
Hedevar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Certainly seems like they cut a deal, just hope he isn't let off too lightly and does some real time.
Very few defendants who plead get the max. Sounds like he flipped to me.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #467
VeryOldMan

The TDN article linked upthread had this bit from Narvarro's allocution; it sounds like he's working with the Feds against Servis, who has been fighting the charges.

Speaking in open court via video conference, Navarro became the second guilty-pleading conspirator within eight days to specifically implicate fellow defendant and ruled-off trainer Jason Servis, for whom Navarro said he procured an “imported, misbranded bronchodilator” intended be used as a performance-enhancing drug [PED] to help horses run faster.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #468
affirmedny

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ro-guilty-plea

Shug McGaughey: I'm glad this happened because it has cleared the air. Hopefully, this will be another step toward getting this problem straightened out. The biggest creep I've ever been around or seen in my whole life is Jason Servis. I hope they start getting after him. He is a horrible, horrible guy and had has been horrible for the game. I didn't really know Navarro. I saw that video they took at Monmouth and that was terrible. But the good news is that we won't have to ever worry about him ever again.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #469
MJC922

Well stated...

Christophe Clement: "Unfortunately, this is nothing new. It's the culture out there. The vet is in charge. We need more horsemanship and less medication. There is a great difference between how people train around the world versus how they train in the U.S. Here, the vet is so much more powerful."
Old 08-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #470
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ro-guilty-plea

Shug McGaughey: I'm glad this happened because it has cleared the air. Hopefully, this will be another step toward getting this problem straightened out. The biggest creep I've ever been around or seen in my whole life is Jason Servis. I hope they start getting after him. He is a horrible, horrible guy and had has been horrible for the game. I didn't really know Navarro. I saw that video they took at Monmouth and that was terrible. But the good news is that we won't have to ever worry about him ever again.
Why didn't McGaughey say this about Servis BEFORE?
Old 08-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #471
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Good point. My guess would be that the Establishment keeps this stuff under wraps as much as possible...so Shug may have thought it best to keep quiet.

I do not agree with that logic...
Old 08-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #472
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
Good point. My guess would be that the Establishment keeps this stuff under wraps as much as possible...so Shug may have thought it best to keep quiet.

I do not agree with that logic...
This is a very common problem. You can see this in #metoo situations in Hollywood as well. You can see it with Andrew Cuomo. When people are powerful, other folks are afraid of them. It's hard to step out there alone.

But once a person is actually fingered, other people come out of the woodwork because it is safe to do so.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #473
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This is a very common problem. You can see this in #metoo situations in Hollywood as well. You can see it with Andrew Cuomo. When people are powerful, other folks are afraid of them. It's hard to step out there alone.

But once a person is actually fingered, other people come out of the woodwork because it is safe to do so.
Shug McGaughey is a HALL OF FAME trainer! Should such an honoree be relegated to "coming out of the woodwork" only when it's 'safe to do so'? Shame on him...I say.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #474
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

Cuomo may well have ties to certain fine folks, I've long suspected anyway. Folks who make money from selling illegal weed, folks who make money from illegal sports betting etc, gee I wonder who those fine folks are. And of course when he could no longer hold back legalization which will take away a large chunk of that revenue stream from those fine folks, surprise he was compromised all along and is no longer protected. So once everyone gets the green light that he is no longer protected by ahem, you guessed it, those 'fine' folks, they're coming out of the woodwork and his party was all over with.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-13-2021 at 09:48 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #475
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Shug McGaughey is a HALL OF FAME trainer! Should such an honoree be relegated to "coming out of the woodwork" only when it's 'safe to do so'? Shame on him...I say.
Agreed.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:31 PM   #476
Suff
Beat up 💪

5 stones.

Quote:
The Genesis of the investigation came from within the industry. The jockey club hired this group - 5 stones had undercover private investigators at Gulfstream. They handed it off to the FBI.

It was and still can be like a prison yard at Gulfstream. Nobody wants to talk to nobody because nobody knows who you're talking to.

Last edited by Suff; 08-13-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 12:37 AM   #477
taxicab

Quote:
This.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #478
Hedevar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Christophe Clement: "Unfortunately, this is nothing new. It's the culture out there. The vet is in charge. We need more horsemanship and less medication. There is a great difference between how people train around the world versus how they train in the U.S. Here, the vet is so much more powerful."
Platitudes, all we hear are platitudes. J. Edgar Hoover was an enthusiastic racing fan. Then someone woke him up to the fact that horses were being doped. He started an FBI investigation. That was ninety years ago and nothing has changed, Then again Hoover always denied the existence of le cosa nostra. Why do you think heroin was called Horse?
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #479
SaratogaSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I wonder how he really feels - he picked up a Servis/Dubb after the suspension, said horse which was just claimed for 80k. I'm sure he cashed the checks just the same.
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #480
classhandicapper

My guess is that some of these guys had nothing to say sooner because they didn't want to get sued. It's one thing to suspect or even know inside that someone is cheating. It another to prove it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: