Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-02-2020, 05:39 AM   #31
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
My high school friends and I saw Randy Savage wrestle in a high school gymnasium in Nancy, KY back around '79 or '80. Place couldn't have held more than a couple of hundred people, think we paid $5 to get in.

RIP Macho Man
We took our kids and in-laws to see Macho Man wrestle Hulk Hogan at the old Hershey Bears Ice rink at the height of the old WWF about five years after you saw him. The place was packed, a great card. My teenage son was jacked up since one of the Bushwhackers left him slap him on his sweaty head down at ringside. Macho Man was more entertaining than Hulk. Hacksaw Jim Duggan was a lot of fun also; with his 2X4 and American flag he might have made a good ambassador to the U.N.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 12-02-2020 at 05:47 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #32
Johnny V

I used to watch professional wrestling on WOR TV in NY as a kid and loved it. My favorites were Lou and Red Bastein, the Flying Kangaroos, Jerry and Eddie Graham., Bruno Sammartino, Killer Kowalski, Johnny Valentine.
I saw only two live matches in my life and liked it better on TV for some reason. I saw a live match between Killer Kowalski and Bruno Smmartino that had the place in complete bedlam.
What I like about those matches in those days were that a lot of the important matches and all the championship matches were two out of three falls.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #33
Marshall Bennett

Always been fascinated that any human could lift Andre the Giant into the air and slam him to the canvas.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #34
buzzy

Iron sheik.. well respected
His Twitter feed is hilarious if you are not offended by 4 letter words

https://mobile.twitter.com/the_irons...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #35
MutuelClerk

That's why Vince made all the money. He took the best wrestlers from each region. Started Wrestlemania and BOOM.

When I was a kid it was Dick The Bruiser from Ontario. Bobo Brazil and The Sheik in Michigan at the air conditioned Cobo Arena.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #36
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post

In DC another buddy and I went to watch Andre the Giant, plus others. He was near the end of the line and his match lasted 20 seconds. Of course, he won. He died within six months of that event. Mayor for Life, Marion Barry attended; before his downfall. It was a Sunday after church.
In the last three years of his life he only wrestled a few matches in Japan in six-man tags because his health was so bad. His last WWF run was 1989, where he either lost in 30 seconds to the Ultimate Warrior or wrestled in tag teams with Haku. Andre died in 1993.

Sorry, just bringing some facts in your memories.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I had an aisle seat at the arena once and was standing when Andre walked by me heading to the ring. He was ASTONISHINGLY BIG!!!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #38
mountainman

Any "Yinzers" out there? If so, you might remember studio wrestling hosted by Bill Cardille, featuring the likes of "Jumpin" Johnny Defazio, Professor Tanaka, "Killer" Kowalski, Hans Mortier, etc..etc..and of course, the immortal Bruno Samartino, who once motioned the bad guy to pause with the folding chair bit until he had lifted my 6- yr- old brother to safety.

Sweet, sweet memories.

Btw-the "villian" who immediately froze while brandishing a hard metal chair was George "the animal" Steele.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-06-2020 at 01:59 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #39
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Btw-the "villian" who immediately froze while brandishing a hard metal chair was George "the animal" Steele.
George is equally famous for portraying another wrestler, Tor Johnson in Tim Burton’s cult classic Ed Wood.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #40
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
George is equally famous for portraying another wrestler, Tor Johnson in Tim Burton’s cult classic Ed Wood.
Incredible movie. Lugosi's, btw, is quite a story.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply