Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 3.80 average.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #5641
Spinner

points difference

Hi Greg,
When using Platinum I keep wondering how big a gap in points in a column is enough to eliminate a horse for that column
EG...
Power is a 5 point gap too big or not. Same question for E1 and E2
Old 10-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #5642
Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post

--No handicapping at all...isn't life great?
Race 1 Consensus "Wandering Kitten" won going off at 3-1. Won it by quite a few lengths
Old 10-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #5643
Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Race 1 Consensus "Wandering Kitten" won going off at 3-1. Won it by quite a few lengths
Sorry I had that wrong. Wandering Kitten wasn't close

2nd race Consensus #1 was Play Ball #5 and he won by many lengths at odds of 1/5
Old 10-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #5644
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Hi Greg,
When using Platinum I keep wondering how big a gap in points in a column is enough to eliminate a horse for that column
EG...
Power is a 5 point gap too big or not. Same question for E1 and E2
Spinner:

Seems like you're trying to make a mechanical method out of Platinum. The only column that is stand-alone important--is the Power Number...or lack thereof. Look at the first race--3 horses have power numbers--of those, 2 ran 1-2. That happens often, and is really the most important column on the card.

The idea is to see what else the horse has to offer. A lot of my customers don't really seem to know what pace rating are--they're just "speed ratings" for sections of the race. If most of the field has fast early fractions or pace figs...then your attention should be on the closers--and vice versa. Without comparing the entire field--any point system is useless.

Kinghood had this symbol *> which indicates he has a big speed advantage, and is back within 16 days. He's also tops in Speed Blast, Late Power, Last Speed, and is right there on last 3 speed ratings, etc. Surprising such a dominating horse paid almost $8.00 to win.

So don't let one column influence your wagering--(except Power #) --Bris' Prime Power ranked FINGLAS way on top--but he hadn't shown any speed lately, so didn't get a Power Number. For THAT he was eliminated by Platinum. (as it turns our--rightfully so)

Old 10-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #5645
Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Spinner:

Seems like you're trying to make a mechanical method out of Platinum. The only column that is stand-alone important--is the Power Number...or lack thereof. Look at the first race--3 horses have power numbers--of those, 2 ran 1-2. That happens often, and is really the most important column on the card.

The idea is to see what else the horse has to offer. A lot of my customers don't really seem to know what pace rating are--they're just "speed ratings" for sections of the race. If most of the field has fast early fractions or pace figs...then your attention should be on the closers--and vice versa. Without comparing the entire field--any point system is useless.

Kinghood had this symbol *> which indicates he has a big speed advantage, and is back within 16 days. He's also tops in Speed Blast, Late Power, Last Speed, and is right there on last 3 speed ratings, etc. Surprising such a dominating horse paid almost $8.00 to win.

So don't let one column influence your wagering--(except Power #) --Bris' Prime Power ranked FINGLAS way on top--but he hadn't shown any speed lately, so didn't get a Power Number. For THAT he was eliminated by Platinum. (as it turns our--rightfully so)

Thanks Greg, You should do an online course because I would sign up for sure. I didn't grow up doing horse handicapping and as you said I try to be mechanical about my handicapping. Insights like you just gave me is a real aha moment. I didn't bet any of the races at MVR yesterday just did my paperwork and watched the results.
Gonna do MVR right now and see if I can pick out some horses.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #5646
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Thanks Greg, You should do an online course because I would sign up for sure. I didn't grow up doing horse handicapping and as you said I try to be mechanical about my handicapping. Insights like you just gave me is a real aha moment. I didn't bet any of the races at MVR yesterday just did my paperwork and watched the results.
Gonna do MVR right now and see if I can pick out some horses.
I actually took you up on your offer, and posted a few Platinum results up--red circles and all. Just a few recent races to give the new user an idea how to use the program. This is the way I learned--printing out an circling, etc.

I looked at one race today- the 1st @ MVR. Honestly, in 30 seconds I had a good idea who would get the win. There was no speed in the race, besides "the King".
I posted it up along with several others, on the website. It's in the "Directions" section of the site, at the bottom. Hope it helps --NCG

Here's todays 1st from MVR:

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 10-30-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #5647
sharkey11

ncgreg tell me how to print the page you have the red circles on thanks
Old 10-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #5648
Spinner

Penn tonight Race 4

Hey Greg based on what I am learning do you think #2 Go Lightly is worth a look if the odds are right

Attached Images
File Type: png PENN 10 31 Race 4.PNG (33.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #5649
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
ncgreg tell me how to print the page you have the red circles on thanks
SHARKEY:

1-Using the snipping tool--cut out the opened race

2-Save the snipped race to whatever file you like

3-Right-click on this snipped race...and open with MS Paint.

4-Make your red circles, type in the winning payoff...and using the paint program--reduce the size 80%.

5-Save to your file. This way, you can open the file and be reminded of what you're looking for. After a period of time, you'll open a race card and naturally notice the 2 or 3 horses that stand out, and begin circling.

Good Luck,

-Greg
Old 10-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #5650
sharkey11

im sorry to bother you on this . the snipping tool is this something that comes with the prog. or is it somthing i have on my pc or a prog. i must import thank you sir. ive got it and thanks very much sir.

Last edited by sharkey11; 10-31-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #5651
Spinner

The snipping tool is part of your windows programs. Type snipping in the search area of your PC. Pretty much every computer has it
Old 10-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #5652
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Penn 4th

Quote:
Hey Greg based on what I am learning do you think #2 Go Lightly is worth a look if the odds are right
Yeah, GOLIGHTLY looks good. As I was looking at the others--happened to notice SWEET DANCER @ 15-1. This is her 4th race in Oct...look at her last races. She went from a 10.8K purse at almost 60-1--finished 2nd, next bumped up to $19K, going off at 5/2. Did nothing, next in for 14K--nada again at 50-1. Back in 7 days today at her lowest purse again...the only question is if her connections can get the job done, and haven't overestimated this horse.

I'll risk a few dollars at what should be a good price (unless the stable drops a ton of money)

*BTW: Hope you all know - all you have to do is double-click on any horse to get his pp's.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:21 PM   #5653
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Selling anything on the internet isn't all fun n games, no matter how nice you try to be. This clown inquired about Platinum--then sent me emails telling me how great Quickhorse and Bet Mix are. Evidently he wanted to discuss these programs with me.

Here was my response (verbatim):

"I sell a program that competes with Quickhorse & Betmix--I've never had anyone sending testimonials on competing programs. What are you expecting from me? Why would you think I would want to discuss them? If Quickhorse is still giving out free Bris or Equibase PP's...he will soon be shut down (check the software area of PaceAdvantage). I thought he was already closed down.
I was a Betmix user for appx 6 months, 3 or 4 years ago. I liked the program, just never made a dime with it.

Thanks, but I don't care to discuss other programs.

Good luck,

-Greg"

--------------------------------------------------------------------
His reply I just received:

"I approached you just as I had many others that offer similar handicappjng products and none of them ever had the poor attitude like yourself.
They all were glad to offer their tips & opinions as to both what they had to offer & were interested in what the rest of the world was doing.

I explained what I have been doing for some time and needed some more input before purchasing your software since it required buying a lot of data if I wished to experiment from the beginning. Thats why I inquired about some of your more desireable tracks & some tips in advance to avoid buying data for nothing. I was ready to jump in with both feet & buy 2 or 3 or your programs as they looked interesting.

Since you are such an arrogant asshole, I can take on the same attitude.
So, point blank, **** you and your software!
No need to reply as I know your getting my emails and we don't need each other anyway..."

Nice guy, huh?

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 10-31-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:07 PM   #5654
stk128

program

greg which of your programs is best for the breeders cup?

thanks
Old 10-31-2019, 07:21 PM   #5655
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk128 View Post
greg which of your programs is best for the breeders cup?

thanks
To be honest....none, really. Sure you can get lucky, but they work best with claimers and Allow1 types.

Good Luck,

-NCG
Closed Thread