Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #31
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
Tomorrow's Pick Six carryover is $784.00.

Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard
Tomorrow's Pick Six carryover is $784.00.

Make sure to catch pick 6 central on TVG.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #33
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Free lunches upset you that much, eh?

Jeez...just when you thought the complaining couldn't get any more obscure...
Free lunches don't upset me at all. I just prefer to pay my own way, that's all.

What does upset me is there are way too many compromised people out there that claim to be 'journalists'. Some have actually gotten jobs and other moneyed gigs that other qualified people could have managed but didn't get. Plus how could these self-proclaimed 'journalists' be truly objective when they always have their hands in the pockets of people they supposedly are covering and reporting on?

Since DJ is probably on the payroll of numerous enterprises, springing for lunch shouldn't be a hardship under any circumstances. It just seems silly to me that people could be compromised for a cold bowl of salty soup and a ham sandwich.

A poster asked if DJ could objectively write about the off-turf situation at Parx, remember?

A poster wrote --wrongly-- that management tells DJ what to write. I disagreed with that opinion but really, PA, if people think that, you need to ask yourself why is that?

And you think this is nothing more than obscure complaining??
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Is DJ an investigative journalist? Is that his thing? Or does he write about Beyer speed figures mostly?

I admit, I read him once in a blue moon...but I don't ever recall him as some sort of industry watchdog, nor was he ever suppsed to be. He writes about handicapping in the DRF...what else does he write about? Those more familiar with him, clue me in.

And if you think a free lunch has the potential to compromise someone that much...well...I don't know what to say to that...

Anyhow, much ado about nothing in my opine.

Beyer writes some hard hitting pieces from time to time. You mean to tell me he never gets a free lunch?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-06-2013 at 01:46 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #35
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

One thing about parx they always races on days where nobody is watching.....parx used to be the featured track in the new York post and daily news on Monday's and tuesdays一
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #36
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Is DJ an investigative journalist? Is that his thing? Or does he write about Beyer speed figures mostly?

I admit, I read him once in a blue moon...but I don't ever recall him as some sort of industry watchdog, nor was he ever suppsed to be. He writes about handicapping in the DRF...what else does he write about? Those more familiar with him, clue me in.

And if you think a free lunch has the potential to compromise someone that much...well...I don't know what to say to that...

Anyhow, much ado about nothing in my opine.

Beyer writes some hard hitting pieces from time to time. You mean to tell me he never gets a free lunch?
Ask yourself this. Has he ever written a hard hitting piece about someone who gave him a free lunch. If you can find one of these DRF hacks who wrote anything negative about people who give them free lunch, you might be onto something.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #37
pandy

Taking the races off the turf after the Pick 3 bets were in and they way they handled it sucks. But, I still like Parx. I like sustained tracks and Parx, with it's dead rail, is a good track to bet stalkers that can finish at all distances. If you have a profit there, you're not complaining. You can't expect all tracks to be like Saratoga, which, by the way, is tougher to handicap than Parx.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #38
camourous

I lost pretty much all respect for Jerardi when he voted for Juan Carlos Guerrero for the eclipse award for Trainer of the Year..
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by camourous
I lost pretty much all respect for Jerardi when he voted for Juan Carlos Guerrero for the eclipse award for Trainer of the Year..
Juan was probably sneaking him some free lunches back at the barn...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
The Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Do they have a track maintenance crew at Parx? I don't play it, but whenever I see a race from Parx it seems like the winners are way out in the middle of the track. Not only is the rail seemingly always dead, so are the 2 and 3 paths.
The rail has been dead for years, but it isn't as bad the last few years as it was mid to late 2000's. The problem is, the trainers, jocks and owners still think it is the Philly Park of the past every day and everyone races in the 5 path. Don't get me wrong, there are still days when the rail is dead, but it isn't as pronounced as it used to be.

The stewards at Parx are on the clueless side and very inconsistent. A few years ago I questioned a suspicious set of circumstances during the running of a race at Parx and contacted Keith Jones and he referred to those of us who play horses as "you guys" and claimed we always "play the fixed race card" when I said nothing of the sort. I questioned a stewards call and the poor effort given on a horse.
The Bit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #41
pandy

I agree that the jockeys are so used to riding out in the 5 path that even on days when the rail is good most of the riders avoid it.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #42
The Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I agree that the jockeys are so used to riding out in the 5 path that even on days when the rail is good most of the riders avoid it.
Over the last 35 to 40 days ( not race cards, days ) I'm only showing one distance in which the inside post seemed to be compromised.

I wish it would go back to the old days. I had a field day following the races and trips closely and betting horses back that were forced to do the majority of their running on the inside. Especially if they were forced to race inside a few starts in a row.
The Bit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
camourous

Quote:
Think it was a trade JC would give Jerardi a boxed lunch and Jerardi in turn would give him some unicorn blood to use on his horses.
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #44
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Or, he's a house guy and not a true journalist.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #45
Nacumi

Anybody see the 6th there today? A shoving match between 2nd and 3rd place jocks in the stretch, and the DRF chart spells it out as "exchanged elbows after crossing finish line." Replay link anyone?
Nacumi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply