Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-08-2023, 11:27 PM   #1
dilanesp

Del Mar to host 2025 Breeders' Cup

Not a gigantic surprise, but it shows you the direction they are going (which I have discussed ad nauseam) in terms of capped attendance, very high ticket prices, a rich person's event (and Southern California).

I'm still hearing Belmont might get 2026, for those of you who care about such things.

https://www.breederscup.com/news/202...-championships
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 12:32 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It isn't just the cost of the Breeders' Cup. Traveling to California and the expenses associated with that are much higher than they are for Kentucky and even New York to a much lesser extent.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

If they're going to cap attendance, might as well get Gulfstream back in the loop.

They could even add a BC Fake Dirt Mile into the mix.

rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 08:43 AM   #4
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It isn't just the cost of the Breeders' Cup. Traveling to California and the expenses associated with that are much higher than they are for Kentucky and even New York to a much lesser extent.
It's undeniable that the Breeders Cup wants people who have a lot of money to burn to go to the track on those two days. When you start getting into over 20K for a two day table it gets insane. Way out of my range. And getting a subpar seat is a no go for me as well. Went to Vegas for this last one and it was OK but doubt I'd go back. All things considered my best deal is at home and I'm good with that.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 12:42 PM   #5
horsefan2019

The Breeders Cup wants an audience of rich folks. And having it in a sunny picturesque location where the threat of gloomy weather is almost non-existent in November goes a long way to get those people to show up.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 01:10 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Not a gigantic surprise, but it shows you the direction they are going (which I have discussed ad nauseam) in terms of capped attendance, very high ticket prices, a rich person's event (and Southern California).

I'm still hearing Belmont might get 2026, for those of you who care about such things.

https://www.breederscup.com/news/202...-championships
It looks location based. Like a straight forward press release of Del Mar as being the BC location again in '25 (as in consecutively '24, '25).

I don't see any mention of losing proposals from other locations who were campaigning on the basis of budget prices and maximum capacity packages.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
It looks location based. Like a straight forward press release of Del Mar as being the BC location again in '25 (as in consecutively '24, '25).

I don't see any mention of losing proposals from other locations who were campaigning on the basis of budget prices and maximum capacity packages.
The BC tells tracks what they want before the bidding process opens. I.e., I think the decision not to open the infield on Friday and Saturday to discourage middle class attendees was made at the moment BC received Santa Anita's 2023 bid.

Nobody's going to present a "here's how to get 75,000 for the Breeders' Cup" bid to BC because they know BC doesn't want that. Attendance caps and keeping the ordinary folks out has become the leitmotif of big races in America.

Also notable in this regard: the BC's preferred Kentucky track these days appears to be tiny, attendance capped, upper crusty Keeneland rather than large, sprawling Churchill Downs.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It seems clear to mr thsat the BC people are not interested at all in everyday racing or fans.
they are the "elite" throwing themselves a party and making money off of handle
and the regular folks who attend the host track are considered rabble to be avoided,

Mucj like the ridiculous eclipse award that ifnore the folks who support the game every day and yest havre no votes.

"SHUT UP AND BET"
Old 11-09-2023, 02:37 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

Quote:
The BC tells tracks what they want before the bidding process opens. I.e., I think the decision not to open the infield on Friday and Saturday to discourage middle class attendees was made at the moment BC received Santa Anita's 2023 bid.

Nobody's going to present a "here's how to get 75,000 for the Breeders' Cup" bid to BC because they know BC doesn't want that. Attendance caps and keeping the ordinary folks out has become the leitmotif of big races in America.

Also notable in this regard: the BC's preferred Kentucky track these days appears to be tiny, attendance capped, upper crusty Keeneland rather than large, sprawling Churchill Downs.
think i'm grumpy or something.

i get your point.

Don't know how I feel about it all, and I don't have much understanding of the facilities and what is workable and realistic.

From an ignorant naivety? I'd say I'd like there to be a spacious prime location area(s) for the V.I.P.s, and at the same time some cheap less desirably located areas in the facility and the (distant trek) parking lot for the peasants like myself.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:50 PM   #10
NTamm1215

It’s funny how certain someone can be that tracks “want” the Breeders’ Cup at their facility.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 09:49 AM   #11
ubercapper

The $93 million renovation project at Keeneland is scheduled to be finished by the fall of 2025 and I think it's safe to assume, knowing construction projects don't always go as planned, it might not be ready for the 2025 Breeders' Cup.

After that I think it's safe to assume Keeneland will be back in a regular rotation with California tracks, as well as Churchill Downs as their construction project is expected to be complete (hopefully) just prior to next year's Derby.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 12:12 PM   #12
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
It’s funny how certain someone can be that tracks “want” the Breeders’ Cup at their facility.
Curious about something and I don't know the answer.

So I'll ask:

Based on past history, does hosting a two day Breeders Cup generate positive cash flow for the track?

-jp
Old 11-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Curious about something and I don't know the answer.

So I'll ask:

Based on past history, does hosting a two day Breeders Cup generate positive cash flow for the track?

-jp
We can never know for sure because we never see the contracts. But what I always heard (usually uttered in exactly these words) is "host tracks don't make very much money off the Breeders' Cup". That suggests they make something, but that it's not any sort of cash cow for them.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:06 PM   #14
horsefan2019

Quote:
We can never know for sure because we never see the contracts. But what I always heard (usually uttered in exactly these words) is "host tracks don't make very much money off the Breeders' Cup". That suggests they make something, but that it's not any sort of cash cow for them.

I always saw it as a honor for the track. Its get them publicity and free advertising.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 10:47 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
I always saw it as a honor for the track. Its get them publicity and free advertising.
I'm sure that is a big part of what the Breeders' Cup pitches to the tracks.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply