Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm921
You're not kidding. I must have had a preminition when I brought him up this morning. For my next trick...let's say Peter Ferriola.
It gets better.

Someone had mentioned Hoist the Flag in the "Belmont Stakes 1971" thread, and I had forgotten -- until I looked at his past performances -- that he rode Hoist the Flag.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Angel Penna's Flying Water.

She was a superior horse. Needless to say, he never rode for Penna again.

He was not my favorite rider. He went 0 for 91 at the 1994 Gulfstream meet. Look it up.
Thanks for updating that.
I was 20 years old at the time, and a huge racing fan.
I still remember feeling sick to the stomach watching that - similar to the Go For Wand tragedy. Luckily for me, I never saw Ruffian race. If I dig up some of her wins on youtube.com, I'll be sure to skip her last race.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
he was getting on this horse in the morning for us in ocala, he liked her so much he bought her and another 2 yo that is good too, gimme a wish probably going to be in next week at keeneland. with ratoath special he is lucky that i had her in a maiden $40k claimer in monmouth last summer to have her eligible for this race. the way she has trained as a 3 year old she should be real tough at keeneland. the only negetive is the synthetic, i never shine over that surface.
i just saw that GIMME A WISH got in for friday at keeneland. i saw they put a regular rider on that horse, i know they need a guy that can hustle the horse out of the gate to get her to the front. i know she is ready and i am sure that the wesley ward horse is ready too. the mare of gimme a whish broke the track record first time out of the gate in woodbine and i think gimme a wish is just as good.

CRUGET is going to ride RATOATH SPECIAL in the 3rd week there. he will not be a detriment to her race, she is a very nice push button philly. i had her in philly park last summer and had problems with races going. she got stale and i sent her down to florida and put her on the shelf. she came back better as a 3 year old.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Pine Tree Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Angel Penna's Flying Water.

She was a superior horse. Needless to say, he never rode for Penna again.

He was not my favorite rider. He went 0 for 91 at the 1994 Gulfstream meet. Look it up.
Late Bloomer was the winner. It was the New York Handicap. Additionally, Waya was defeated by Pearl Necklace in the first division that day. Cordero rode her.
Pine Tree Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
jotb

Quote:
he was getting on this horse in the morning for us in ocala, he liked her so much he bought her and another 2 yo that is good too, gimme a wish probably going to be in next week at keeneland. with ratoath special he is lucky that i had her in a maiden $40k claimer in monmouth last summer to have her eligible for this race. the way she has trained as a 3 year old she should be real tough at keeneland. the only negetive is the synthetic, i never shine over that surface.
Didn't you have this filly in for 45K in her debut where she finished 4th? And this race at Keeneland on the 27th is a Starter Allowance For Fillies Three Years Old Which Have Broken Their Maiden For $40,000 Or Less And Have Never Won Two Races. I had thought she win in a MSW..Does this make sense to you?
jotb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
I was never a fan of Cruguet...and how he got Slew as a mount I'll never understand (almost any good jock back then coulda rode Slew to the TC, IMO)...as for Hoist The Flag...that remains one of racings saddest days...I watched that colt work a few times and he was breathtaking...on the morning he broke down the weather was bad, the dogs were up and hardly anyone was using the training track...why they switched him from a work on the main track is still a mystery to me.

But, as for Cruguet riding again (for his wife's memory)...I wish him good luck and hope he stays safe.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #22
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
I was never a fan of Cruguet...and how he got Slew as a mount I'll never understand (almost any good jock back then coulda rode Slew to the TC, IMO)...as for Hoist The Flag...that remains one of racings saddest days...I watched that colt work a few times and he was breathtaking...on the morning he broke down the weather was bad, the dogs were up and hardly anyone was using the training track...why they switched him from a work on the main track is still a mystery to me.

But, as for Cruguet riding again (for his wife's memory)...I wish him good luck and hope he stays safe.
You never understood why Cruguet rode Seattle!! Shame on you!! He (Billy Turner rode him from the day one)..Maybe something called loyalty!!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #23
Pine Tree Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotb
You never understood why Cruguet rode Seattle!! Shame on you!! He (Billy Turner rode him from the day one)..Maybe something called loyalty!!
If memory serves, Turner was contemplating giving Eddie Maple the mount but he was unavailable to work Slew. Cruguet was there and the rest is history.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Tree Lane
If memory serves, Turner was contemplating giving Eddie Maple the mount but he was unavailable to work Slew. Cruguet was there and the rest is history.
Well then "Out of sight, out of mind"...If Maple was unavailable at the time then he didn't know what Slew was about.. What can I say? Shame on hime..I'm sorry but I don't just don't buy that...Did he worked someone else and if so who was that? And if he wasn't available to work Slew on a given day then shame on him and the agent..JMHO
Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #25
lamboguy

Quote:
Didn't you have this filly in for 45K in her debut where she finished 4th? And this race at Keeneland on the 27th is a Starter Allowance For Fillies Three Years Old Which Have Broken Their Maiden For $40,000 Or Less And Have Never Won Two Races. I had thought she win in a MSW..Does this make sense to you?
it was a $45 down to $40k, and i had her in for the $40k. she had been sitting around philly park waiting for races that didn't go for 2 months. i had to run her and she didn't fire that day. i knew with the race under her she would be pretty tough in her next start. i got lucky, there was an assmussen horse in the race and i got $20.00 to win on her in a philly msw
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
jotb...you sure are spreadin' around the shame...shame for what? First of all, I do beleive PineTreeLane is correct about Maple...Cruguet was not Turner's first choice for a rider...once he got aboard, yes, Turner was loyal to him...but what that has to do with anyone here, including me, I can't know...by the way, Cordero also rode the colt.

Don't know what you're gettin' at with this shame thing

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #27
Pine Tree Lane

Quote:
Well then "Out of sight, out of mind"...If Maple was unavailable at the time then he didn't know what Slew was about.. What can I say? Shame on hime..I'm sorry but I don't just don't buy that...Did he worked someone else and if so who was that? And if he wasn't available to work Slew on a given day then shame on him and the agent..JMHO
Things like that happen all the time. Riders have never historically been the best handicappers. Cordero gave up the mount on Affirmed to ride Darby Creek Road. Pat Day, Jerry Bailey and Craig Perret all had the call on Strike the Gold and turned it down. Also, I am not really interested if you "buy that". In its context, that has always been the genesis of how Cruguet got the mount.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #28
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
jotb...you sure are spreadin' around the shame...shame for what? First of all, I do beleive PineTreeLane is correct about Maple...Cruguet was not Turner's first choice for a rider...once he got aboard, yes, Turner was loyal to him...but what that has to do with anyone here, including me, I can't know...by the way, Cordero also rode the colt.

Don't know what you're gettin' at with this shame thing
Yeah when Cordero rode the colt who was the trainer? For someone coming from the backside I really think you had this wrong..You can argue with me until you are blue in the face..Doesn't matter for me...You know how it works on the backside...If Maple did have another obligation then shame on him and kudos for Cruguet...Right place and right time..Just about every other rider back in the day would have fit Slew..The only reason you can't see why Cruguet got the mount was because (and you said it) "you never were a fan of his"..
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
jotb

Quote:
it was a $45 down to $40k, and i had her in for the $40k. she had been sitting around philly park waiting for races that didn't go for 2 months. i had to run her and she didn't fire that day. i knew with the race under her she would be pretty tough in her next start. i got lucky, there was an assmussen horse in the race and i got $20.00 to win on her in a philly msw
No, you had her in for 45k..Maybe you might want to check the results for that race...Regardless she didn't win the race..She won in a MSW.How did you play a role in her becoming elgible for the race on the 27th of April? How is she elgible for the race on the the 27th according to the book?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #30
jotb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Tree Lane
Things like that happen all the time. Riders have never historically been the best handicappers. Cordero gave up the mount on Affirmed to ride Darby Creek Road. Pat Day, Jerry Bailey and Craig Perret all had the call on Strike the Gold and turned it down. Also, I am not really interested if you "buy that". In its context, that has always been the genesis of how Cruguet got the mount.
They may not be the best handicappers in the world but please don't tell me that rider's can't tell the difference between the best and mediocre horses..The names you mentioned are hall of fame types..Sometime jocks are obligated to certain trainers and have no choice..Including the top jockeys in the sport...Do jocks and agents make mistakes at time? Absolutely!!! In this case with Cruguet, a different story...Are you telling me all the other jocks and agents on the circuit at the time were not interested in retaining the mount on Slew..Does this really come down to two jocks??..Maple and Cruguet..I guess all the others were not hustling the mount..They were all blind..