Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Indulto
Veteran

NY Times Blogger Writes: Why Horse Slaughter Is Necessary

http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/why-horse-slaughter-is-necessary/
Why Horse Slaughter Is Necessary
By Jane Smiley May 1, 2009
Quote:
… We don’t like to think of a horse, who has been trained to perform or treated as a pet or won a lot of money being slaughtered in terrifying conditions in order that some Germans or some French people might eat horse meat. Would it be different if it were starving children in some third-world country eating the meat? I don’t know.
Quote:

… Well-meaning commentators such as Mr. Rhoden can wish away horse slaughter (or even horse racing), but I think it would be far better to regulate horse transportation and institute methods of humane slaughter such as those proposed by Temple Grandin for cattle. We must recognize that there is a market for horse meat (not only for human consumption, but also for zoo and circus-animal consumption) and that in a starving world, a source of protein should not go to waste for sentimental reasons. It is sentimentality that has resulted in profounder cruelty to our horses — because we don’t accept that they are animals and have a utilitarian purpose, we hide from what happens to them, and so what happens to them happens in secret.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
tucker6

We produce livestock for food, so why do we need to kill other animals?? Do we need to kill horses for food just because they no longer make us money?? Another person rationalizing the making of money in the time honored tradition of other scumbags. If someone can afford to take care of a horse in the hopes that the horse will make it money, then that person has an obligation to ensure that the animal is cared for the rest of its life. That's the honorable thing to do, but which is lacking in this argument. Next up is the rationalization of taking greyhounds to slaughter pens because the world need protein you know.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Indulto
Veteran

I hope all viewers of my post bother to read the entire article. I posted the link and quote because I thought the author, a true lover of horses, had some worthwhile points to consider.

It would behoove (pun intended) those who disagree to do so with the same dignity and detachment dispensed by Ms. Smiley.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
jognlope

I'm not going to read any article that says slaughter is necessary, when there are more humane alternatives, ya know, like a shot and rendering plant and retirement homes.
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jognlope
I'm not going to read any article that says slaughter is necessary, when there are more humane alternatives, ya know, like a shot and rendering plant and retirement homes.
Then why bother reading and commenting in this thread?

It's posters like yourself that -- instead of putting their heads in the sand -- should read the article and take the author on point by point where you disagree. BTW Smiley also talks about rendering plants.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Bubba X
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
Then why bother reading and commenting in this thread?

It's posters like yourself that -- instead of putting their heads in the sand -- should read the article and take the author on point by point where you disagree. BTW Smiley also talks about rendering plants.
Ok, I read it. I learned one thing.

Then again, I love a good italian sausage sandwich. Yet, I do not feel compelled to take a tour of the place they make the stuff and tell them how I think they should do it.

Am I wrong?
Bubba X is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba X
Ok, I read it. I learned one thing.

Then again, I love a good italian sausage sandwich. Yet, I do not feel compelled to take a tour of the place they make the stuff and tell them how I think they should do it.

Am I wrong?
BX,
What did you learn?

Was the point of your sausage statement that, whether or not there should be any horse slaughter, you don't care to consider the details and detrimental aspects involved in either case?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
tucker6

Quote:
BX,
What did you learn?

Was the point of your sausage statement that, whether or not there should be any horse slaughter, you don't care to consider the details and detrimental aspects involved in either case?
Why are you so interested in whether we participate in this morbid slaughter thread?? Why don't YOU go out there and make the points against horse slaughter instead of using all this energy getting us to do it?? Or are you in favor of horse slaughter??
Old 05-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
kenwoodallpromos

Starving?

First the sellers to auctions, auctions, kill buyers, plants, USDA need to ensure that the current laws arre complied with- they are not.
Starving- which starving people in Quebec are the ones paying $9.00+ for a lb. of gelding meat?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
First the sellers to auctions, auctions, kill buyers, plants, USDA need to ensure that the current laws arre complied with- they are not.
Starving- which starving people in Quebec are the ones paying $9.00+ for a lb. of gelding meat?
The ones washing it down with a good Malbec.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Why are you so interested in whether we participate in this morbid slaughter thread?? Why don't YOU go out there and make the points against horse slaughter instead of using all this energy getting us to do it?? Or are you in favor of horse slaughter??
T6,
I'm not sure that either position by itself is a desirable one.

I find sentimentality against slaughter on the part of horseplayers somewhat hypocritical because we support racing knowing it eventually renders most horses unsound; even many of those responsibly bred to avoid passing on unsoundness. How many of us, and I include myself, are more than vaguely interested in the welfare of all horses who just entertained us once the race is over?

Given the limited facilities and financial support to retire even healthy animals, how should it be determined which ones receive such preferred treatment, who should pay for it, and what should happen to the remainder?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
kenwoodallpromos

Facts

Quote:
T6,

I find sentimentality against slaughter on the part of horseplayers somewhat hypocritical because we support racing knowing it eventually renders most horses unsound; even many of those responsibly bred to avoid passing on unsoundness. How many of us, and I include myself, are more than vaguely interested in the welfare of all horses who just entertained us once the race is over?

Given the limited facilities and financial support to retire even healthy animals, how should it be determined which ones receive such preferred treatment, who should pay for it, and what should happen to the remainder?
Jockey Club says in 2008 there were 55,000 different TBreds starting races (probably about 25,000+ males), about 58,000 breeding mares, and 5,800+ breeding sires. It is safe to safe the retirement and/or slaughter problem is a little worse on the racing male of the breed.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
tucker6

Quote:
T6,

Just as football supports its retired players via pension, so too should horse racing. You seem to think it a grey issue, and I do not. Morality is not grey. We know when it is right, and when it is wrong. If horse slaughter were morally right, then why doesn't the horse owner wanting to rid himself of useless horses advertise that he is willing to send his horses to slaughter?? The answer is that the owner is too shamed to do such a thing, because he knows he is morally wrong. Your question is vacuous. If you cannot support a horse through its entire life cycle, then get out of the game. PERIOD!! It seems to me that you lack fundamental morality, as your questions would not have to be asked if you were a moral person. No need to respond. I am done with you and your thread. You reside at the bottom of the food chain, and I'd like not to visit that region very often.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
macguy

I have nothing against slaughtering horses for food.

Makes sense to me.

I would prefer to see them taken to the slaughter houses in proper transport and slaughtered in slaughter houses designed for horse slaughter. I am all for their humane treatment prior to slaughter.

I would rather see horses going to slaughter than starving out in a field because nobody wants them or can afford to care for them properly.

Last edited by macguy; 05-04-2009 at 12:12 AM.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #15
DrunkenHorseplayer
Playing drunk

The notion that horse owners are obligated to care for their horses for their entire lives is ridiculous; if that were required of horse owners no one could afford to be in the game and the sport would go extinct.
DrunkenHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply