Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Mike_412

Tracknet/Mid Atlantic Impasse

Has anyone from HANA contacted either side? Just curious as there haven't been many articles out there on what's going on. As usual, the horseplayer suffers and is left in the dark.

Outside of CD and FG running now, major winter meets at GP, SA, and OAK are right around the corner so I'm slightly uneasy as to what is going on.

Thanks in advance to any representatives that chime in.
Mike_412 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
bettheoverlay

Is Oaklawn also a part of Tracknet? There's not going to be much left to play this winter if this keeps dragging on.
bettheoverlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Mike,

I contacted both NYRA and NJBets several weeks ago. The dispute, of course, was over money... or more specifically that NJBets was allegedly showing the live NYRA signal without having first paid for the rights to do so... so NYRA pulled the live track signal... which may have cost them more than the requested signal fee - because unless I am mistaken recently reported handle numbers for Belmont 2009 were down almost $100 million compared to Belmont 2008.

Signal blackouts leave the customer hanging out to dry... and hurt the entire game in the process.

To be truthful... No. I hadn't written either side regarding the recent impasse between CDI/TrackNet and NJSea. Taking you at your suggestion... I just did that a few minutes ago - and will report back with a post in this thread once a reply is (or clearly isn't) received.

-jp

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
the_fat_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
Mike,

unless I am mistaken recently reported handle numbers for Belmont 2009 were down almost $100 million compared to Belmont 2008.
But, I'm happy to report that BOTH turf courses are in excellent condition. And, they'll continue as such until next spring. What's $100 million when the condition of these courses is at stake?

What a bunch of clowns at NYRA. They deserve everything they get. I suppose they figured that alienating bettors would not affect their handle.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Mike_412

Thanks for the response Jeff. We're lucky to have you and all members of HANA around. Your work is very much appreciated.

Overlay,

I'm about 99% positive that Oaklawn is one of the signals controlled by Tracknet.

Last edited by Mike_412; 11-20-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_412
Overlay,

I'm about 99% positive that Oaklawn is one of the signals controlled by Tracknet.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...h-oaklawn-park
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
HANA put the following questions to upper management of both CDI/Tracknet and tracks from the Mid-Atlantic Coop:

1. Are you seeking a percentage increase?

2. Is the other side seeking a percentage increase?

3. Are issues other than percentages/price involved? If so, what are they?

4. Is there a date/timeframe by which the dispute is expected to be resolved?

HANA received replies back from the Mid Atlantic Coop tracks.

So far, CDI/Tracknet has (apparently) chosen not to reply.

Here's what HANA has learned:

Nature of Dispute?
Money.

TrackNet is the side seeking a price increase - estimated to be between 15-20 percent over present costs.

Other Issues?
TrackNet is also insisting on something called a "Local Dispute" clause, which would essentially enable TrackNet to discontinue providing simulcasts to one or more of Mid Atlantic tracks if there is a local law or regulation in that Member track's jurisdiction that materially impacts TrackNet including their ADWs XpressBet or Twin Spires.

(Translation of that last one? If such language were added to the contract TrackNet would be within their rights to pull track signals from Mid Atlantic Tracks if a source market fee were or went into existence.)

Timeframe/ETA for resolution?
Right now things don't look promising.

-jp

Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Mike_412

Thanks for the update Jeff. Sadly, things don't look too promising for the upcoming Gulfstream and Santa Anita meets it seems. I shouldn't be surprised as those are two of my favorite meets to play and this game has a way of biting the horseplayer in the a$$.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
DeanT

A little "signal impasse redux" on the blog today.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation....ts-future.html
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
johnhannibalsmith

Thank you for the effort at updates.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Canarsie

Without a doubt CDI/Tracknet is the bookmakers best friend right now
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Thanks for the update Jeff. Sadly, things don't look too promising for the upcoming Gulfstream and Santa Anita meets it seems. I shouldn't be surprised as those are two of my favorite meets to play and this game has a way of biting the horseplayer in the a$$.
Magna tracks. Magna is in bed with CDI vis-a-vis TrackNet. Shouldn't be an issue at the tracks you mention. What you're seeing in the dispute with Mid-Atlantic tracks is the continuing playout of the monopoly mentality. Mid-Atlantic tracks should tell TrackNet to go to hell. Horseplayers should tell TrackNet, CDI and Magna to go to hell. Support the non-TrackNet tracks and screw the rest.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
Magna tracks. Magna is in bed with CDI vis-a-vis TrackNet. Shouldn't be an issue at the tracks you mention. What you're seeing in the dispute with Mid-Atlantic tracks is the continuing playout of the monopoly mentality. Mid-Atlantic tracks should tell TrackNet to go to hell. Horseplayers should tell TrackNet, CDI and Magna to go to hell. Support the non-TrackNet tracks and screw the rest.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Horseplayersbet.com doesn't have Tracknet. Are you telling me that I should view this as a good thing

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
Mike_412

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
Magna tracks. Magna is in bed with CDI vis-a-vis TrackNet. Shouldn't be an issue at the tracks you mention.
I'm not following you here. Tracknet controls the signal for all CDI and Magna owned tracks as well as Oaklawn. Why wouldn't this dispute affect GP, SA, and Oak if it carries on for another month or so?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
I'm not following you here. Tracknet controls the signal for all CDI and Magna owned tracks as well as Oaklawn. Why wouldn't this dispute affect GP, SA, and Oak if it carries on for another month or so?
I may have misunderstood your problem, if you're wanting to bet those tracks via simulcast from a Mid-Atlantic track location then I guess it's an issue if they're not carrying them. I was looking at it from the perspective of betting the Mid-Atlantic tracks via a TrackNet location. I wouldn't bet a dime of anyone's money at any of those tracks (the ones that you mention) but if I really had to bet one of them I'd get an account at TwinSpires or XpressBet, pick up the phone and bet the living dog crap out of them. Then I guess the issue becomes not being able to watch the races you're betting on. Of course, if you're betting them via the Internet then you should be able to watch the races via the Internet.

This is the issue that has been whirling around for years with tracks withholding their signals, etc. I mean, when they do this they're saying, "We don't want you to have our product, unless you pay through the nose, get on your knees and beg and kiss our ass in the process."

This is NOT OK in my book and I gladly do without their product. It is hardly the end of the world if there are tracks that aren't letting me buy their product. The racing at those locations just ain't that good, anyway! IMHO, of course....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: