Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

Chinese gymnast underage

SI reporting today that the women's gymnastic champ is only 13.

Minimum age to compete; 16
Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
bigmack

Kramden was more convincing than this gymnast.

[YT="13"]iS9AvH_CJaQ[/YT]
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
equicom

I don't think there has been any proof yet to back up the claim.
equicom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by equicom
I don't think there has been any proof yet to back up the claim.
Yeah, given their record the world should give them the benefit of doubt.

According to their passports, which determine Olympic eligibility, He Kexin, Jiang Yuyuan and Yang Yilin are all 16. But Chinese online records and local newspaper articles have presented different information, raising questions about these three gynmasts' true ages. A 2006 biography from the local sports bureau where He was registered gave her date of birth as January 1, 1994, which would make her 14. A story earlier this year in the China Daily, the country's largest English-language newspaper, also reported that she is 14 years old. Another local-level competition roll had the date of birth of Jiang, who is only 32 kg (70.5 lbs.), as October 1, 1993, making her also 14. And from 2004-2006, the biographical data for Yang on the State General Administration of Sport's website listed her date of birth as August 26, 1993, one year later than what Beijing Olympic records show.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
equicom

I don't even care, or know why anybody does. There's so much else going on in the world and they're making such a fuss over a tiny golden trinket.

In any case, for a 13yo to beat older kids at sport is somehting that would be admired in any other situation.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
cmoore

Quote:
I don't even care, or know why anybody does. There's so much else going on in the world and they're making such a fuss over a tiny golden trinket.

In any case, for a 13yo to beat older kids at sport is somehting that would be admired in any other situation.
So your saying it's alright for the chinese to cheat..They knew the rules going in.
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
equicom

No it is not OK for them to cheat, but it doesn't bother me if they do. There is no satisfaction in winning a medal that you don't deserve, so it will always bother them that they cheated to get it (if they cheated, which I am not sure I believe at this stage until more evidence that is not from "online" sources is presented).
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
bigmack

Quote:
Judging by your posts, you have a tendency to overthink a variety of subjects. While you're doing that might I remind you China is a closed system where they'll print any document they want with any birth date they wish. There was a previous gymnast who has admitted she was 14 in the last Olympics. Deductive reasoning can work you know.

Being 13 might be a disadvantage in most sports but womens gymnastics is not one of them, it's a clear advantage.

It may not matter to you that they cheat but it might to the many girls who have trained a boatload of hours everyday for many years.

Last edited by bigmack; 08-15-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
equicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Being 13 might be a disadvantage in most sports but womens gymnastics is not one of them, it's a clear advantage.
Why would having travelled around the Sun a specific number of times be more important than tangible factors directly relating to natural ability (genetic factors, physical attributes, intelligence, personality) or enhanced ability (via training or drugs)?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
bigmack

Quote:
Why would having travelled around the Sun a specific number of times be more important than tangible factors
It's a nutty thing. The more times a person "travels around the Sun" they usually become bigger, heavier and less flexible. 14 is a very pliable age, both physically & mentally.

Minimum of 16 helps to create an even playing field.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
Marshall Bennett

In a nation who's government has such little concern for human values , why is this any surprise at all ?
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
equicom

Yeah but these girls do an amazing amount of flexibility training. They are still very flexible even when they are much older, unless they discontinue with the training.

I can understand the logic behind the theory, but I still think individual attributes would be more important than biological age (some children may naturally mature less rapidly or more rapidly than others, for example).
Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
ryesteve

Quote:
Yeah but these girls do an amazing amount of flexibility training. They are still very flexible even when they are much older, unless they discontinue with the training.

I can understand the logic behind the theory, but I still think individual attributes would be more important than biological age (some children may naturally mature less rapidly or more rapidly than others, for example).
Then how come you can be quite certain that come 2012, China will show up with a brand new crop of 12 year olds, rather than this bunch with their outstanding "individual attributes" plus 4 more years of experience?
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
SI reporting today that the women's gymnastic champ is only 13.

Minimum age to compete; 16

You of all people should be happy for these little girls. At least they didn't get stuck in a sweat shop earning 5 cents a day making the shoes you wear on your feet. Instead, their government saw a little talent, put them into training and now they get to shine for their families and possibly get a chance to attend a college - as long as they prove a talent for it.
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
now they get to shine for their families
But what about the 16 and 17 year olds who lost the legitimate opportunity to "shine for their families" because it was decided that winning was more important than abiding by the rules?
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: