Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
ranchwest

Push mower?

Anyone used a (non-motorized) push mower? How well do they cut grass? Is there one you recommend?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Sailwolf
Away we go !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest
Anyone used a (non-motorized) push mower? How well do they cut grass? Is there one you recommend?
How much grass are you cutting? anything more than a small lot of grass, too much physical activity
Sailwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

They work great as long as your lot is flat and you keep them sharpened
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
They work great as long as your lot is flat and you keep them sharpened
AND well lubricated. They give your lawn a very nice "manicured" look, too. Mine had spool bearings that I could grease as needed, some of them use sealed bearings and I think they are harder to push because of friction.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
ljb
Veteran

This thread is just more evidence of the neocon's goals of lowering the standard of living for the middle class is working. Fortunately they seem to have peaked and the country is turning around and heading in the correct direction. We can take this country back from the military-industrial complex and make it a country of, for and by the people once again. Cheers !
ps unless you have a very small yard expect to spend the better part of a day cutting grass with a push mower.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
wonatthewire1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb
This thread is just more evidence of the neocon's goals of lowering the standard of living for the middle class is working. Fortunately they seem to have peaked and the country is turning around and heading in the correct direction. We can take this country back from the military-industrial complex and make it a country of, for and by the people once again. Cheers !
ps unless you have a very small yard expect to spend the better part of a day cutting grass with a push mower.

I got a push mower yesterday right after finishing my 2nd job (the one I work on weekends not the 3rd job that I do 4 nights a week) but had a tough time getting it home on my bike. The sales guy said it was an easy assembly, but I've been trying since 4am to get it put together and now I've got to take the bike back to my 2nd job as my shift starts at noon.

Maybe I can get back to it tonight for awhile - from 9pm to midnight I can work on it but no later as I've got to get a couple of hours sleep before I go to my full time job tomorrow. This middle class lifestyle is hard!

Fortunately, I do have a couple of rabbits that eat some of the grass - they help some and if I'm lucky, I catch one of them and we can eat for free that day.

I hope that the liberals take back the WH so I can stop sending all my money to the fat cats on Wall Street or the military industrial complex to continue the never-ending-war against everybody on earth. And, I don't want to be afraid of my own shadow anymore

Last edited by wonatthewire1; 06-01-2008 at 10:37 AM.
wonatthewire1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
ElKabong

I bought a Scotts in February. It cuts a 30" path, very easy to use. Google cleanairgardening.com (in Dallas) for details. Don't buy the Brills models, it won't cut the kind of grass we have in the Metreoplex well.

I've seen your yard, it would suffice. It doesn't give the manicured look that my Honda HR does, I have to go over a few spots twice. Also, since you have a lot of tall trees (like I do) you'll have a lot of "prep" work beforehand. Twigs, leaves, etc have to raked or picked up. Just have your wife do that chore.

Positives...
No gas to pour, no oil to change.
Don't have to start it. You push it. It goes.
Allergy problems are lessened. The push reel clips the blades. Power mowers have a vacuum action to them, which kicks up the grass and dirt/ dust.
You move quicker than you do w/ a power mower.
Your dog Sam won't get his eyes popped out by flying projectiles from the mower.

Negatives
The "vacuum" action of a power mower is partly responsible for that manicured look. My honda HR cuts more precise (but i use the Scotts push reel)
Some areas, like around trees, you'll need a weed wacker. Most push reels won't cut too close to objects.

All in all I would recommend it, knowing your yard is relatively flat. It's a good choice for the environment, less expensive, doesn't smell up the garage w/ teh gas smell after usage.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb
WHY IN THE WORLD would you post something like this in a thread about lawn mowers? Do you really find it productive to ruin every conversation on this forum? Why doesn't this sort of thing get you kicked off this board? It makes me not want to read it, I'll tell you that...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
dutchboy
Veteran

Home about a mile from where I live has the lawn planted in native prairie grass and wild flowers. Very little maintenance and it really is quite pretty. The natural state retains the rainfall. I would assume they save quite a bit of money just from not paying for the cost of water. Rumor is that the cost of water will soon be more critical that the price of gas.

Interesting to know how many people on this website grew up before power mowers were invented. We did not have one for 20 years and used a hand pushed mower along the sidewalk and left everything else alone. That was before the eco wacko's started annoying everyone.
dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Pace Cap'n

Remember the reel-type power mowers?
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

I just use scissors, but I've got a lot of time on my hands.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
Marshall Bennett

Mowing takes my mind away from all the bullshit in the world . Even an old clunker with dull blades , I don't care , as long as it runs and cuts grass .
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
ljb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
WHY IN THE WORLD would you post something like this in a thread about lawn mowers? Do you really find it productive to ruin every conversation on this forum? Why doesn't this sort of thing get you kicked off this board? It makes me not want to read it, I'll tell you that...
Sorry, forgot you rightys hate hearing the truth no matter where it is posted or where it comes from.
Fact is this (push lawnmower) thing is a fine example of what is going on in this country today. The neocons don't jump up and grab your money they nickel and dime you. That way most folks don't know why they have to cut back on some of the things they used to do. Tom just talked about getting a different car on another thread. Not even realizing he is doing this out of necessity. His selections are based on gas mileage. Remember the good ol days when we could get the ride we wanted cause it was the coolest machine around ?

Last edited by ljb; 06-01-2008 at 05:32 PM.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Marshall Bennett

Especially bullshit such as that ^
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb
Sorry, forgot you rightys hate hearing the truth no matter where it is posted or where it comes from.
Fact is this (push lawnmower) thing is a fine example of what is going on in this country today.
Not in my part of the country it isn't. I l just love my noisy, fumy, gas-eating Toro mulcher. It does such a great job, I wouldn't trade it in for a pot of gold.

Boxcar