Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #16
Bustin Stones

Many moons ago, i spent my Saturdays at the track and played my $2 win tickets with a $20 budget. It was Derby day and my first 5 tickets finished so far up the track I became discouraged. But, before throwing in the towel early, I place a $10 ticket on my30-1 Derby horse, went home and watched from the tv. He won.
Another time, I had this silly system where I stood by the $2 windows and surveyed the first 30 bettors picks and then selected based on some ridiculous set of rules. So, I'm betting $10 win tickets and losing the first 8 races. I had a choice to lick my wounds and leave or see it through. The nightcap went off at 15-1 and my horse was in a photo. It seemed like that photo took forever, but we won.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2023, 07:30 AM   #17
bisket

This win gave me money to wager my first Breeders Cup betting from an online wagering account. Online wagering was still in its infancy and I signed for my first betting account on my desk top the night before Breeders Cup. So I sign up and deposit money into my account. Every bettors worst nightmare is screwing up a wager at the window. So I’m thinking maybe I should get the mechanics of placing a wager down before actually doing it. It’s late at night and the only track available is from Australia. So I’m thinking let’s just make a 2$ win wager. They have some free pp’s that have basic information. It’s a maiden race with like 20 horses. One horse catches my eye because he seemed to close quickly in his last race. He’s like 50 to 1. I put a 2$ win wager on him, watch the race, and he wins. Man this internet wagering is better than sliced bread. Lol So instead of 20$ I have $120 stake for The Cup the next day.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2023, 06:55 PM   #18
lefty359

Back in the 80's I vacationed from Vegas to my home town and the track I cut my handicapping teeth on, Ellis Park. IT was muddy all week and I was down about a $100. On Sat the trk was back to fast so I bet a hundred on the horse I thought was a best bet for the day. As they turned into the stretch my horse was way behind, but then he came roaring down that long stretch and won by a nose. He paid $9.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2023, 08:14 PM   #19
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
. I liked Drosselmeyer
Good to hear another Drosselmeyer story. I was going to post about him here. I was out at Arlington for the day of his Belmont and was having a piss horrible day, losing photos, making bad wagers, bad money management, basically got to chasing after the 5th race. I remember having to be at a family function that day so had to leave before the Belmont ran.

Problem is, I had no more funds on hand. So I did the dreaded walk to the ATM and took out cash for my planned Belmont bets. I don't think I was using The Sheets at this time but know I had Drosselmeyer to win and him and Game On Dude on top wheeling others in exotics.

I remember watching the race in someone's living room and going absolutely nuts. Was my biggest hit to that date having hit a bunch of exactas, trifecta and the super a few times(think for .50 total). Something like $600 in wagers returned just shy of $7,000. So, sometimes with bad money management you get lucky. I did!

I remember reinvesting a bit of the winnings into the Pick 6 carryover the following Wednesday. I ended up hitting 5of 6 twice which paid $1700~. I was out of all my tickets after the 2nd race in sequence where 21-1 shot Landlash beat an 18-1 I had included by a freaking head. The pick 6 paid $500k++. What a miss.

And no, I dismissed Drosselmeyer in the Classic. HUGE mistake.

Fun memories.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 11:01 AM   #20
LemonSoupKid

Don't bring it up. I had Drosselmeyer as the Classic winner and lost the Turallure BC mile race by a nose (couldn't believe it) after a hop start, with Court Vision somehow getting in at 61-1 there. I had 2 tickets that would have been heavy 5 digits and of course, Drosselmeyer wins at the end for another double digit payout score.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 06:09 PM   #21
bisket

They changed derby qualifying a few years after Drosselmeyer missed the race.. I still say Drosselmeyer missing out had something to do with it. In my book he would have won. I lost a few bets early in his 4 year old year. Mott mentioning that he was training better before the Jockey Club Gold Cup and then his second convinced me. Then Mike Smith taking the mount made me feel even better. His 2 best races were with Smith in the saddle.

At the Breeders Cup in 2013 I met Jill Baffert at the gate and got to see Game On Dude. I met and talked to Bob for a few minutes. Jill gave me and a friend the tour. She wouldn’t let me get near Game On Dude because he was a cribber. I left him a carrot. Lol
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 08:19 PM   #22
Horsery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Back in the 80's I vacationed from Vegas to my home town and the track I cut my handicapping teeth on, Ellis Park. IT was muddy all week and I was down about a $100. On Sat the trk was back to fast so I bet a hundred on the horse I thought was a best bet for the day. As they turned into the stretch my horse was way behind, but then he came roaring down that long stretch and won by a nose. He paid $9.
You mean he paid $900, and not $9, right? Because if you put $100 on him to win he'd pay back a lot more than just $9.
Horsery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 09:23 PM   #23
Ahorsewithnoname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsery View Post
You mean he paid $900, and not $9, right? Because if you put $100 on him to win he'd pay back a lot more than just $9.
9$ on every $2 = $450
Ahorsewithnoname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 11:31 PM   #24
Horsery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahorsewithnoname View Post
9$ on every $2 = $450

Wouldn't it have made better sense to just say you won $450 from your horse?
Horsery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2023, 07:52 AM   #25
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsery View Post
Wouldn't it have made better sense to just say you won $450 from your horse?
Don't you have homework, kid?
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2023, 09:24 AM   #26
tbwinner

Thought of another. Though this is more along the lines of a stupid bet that paid off..

I was killing time between races on track at Arlington. Must have been 2009. Saw Calder on the simulcast it was a field of 4 in the mud off the turf. 1-9 fave and everyone else was 30-1+. I bet $5 or so on every longshot to show not even knowing what bridgejumping was at the time or that there was likely 100k++ in the show pool on the 1-9.

1-9 shot takes a bad spill on the turn and doesn't finish so the show prices pay boxcars...$50+ for $2 etc...

I have played against bridgejumpers in the future but not in this same way. I remember feeling so bad profiting off a spill like that and not knowing if jock was OK I donated the winnings to PDJF.

Just a stupid action play that paid out. Of course we only remember the winners and not the 1000s of other ones we threw away tickets for
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply