Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #106
TonyMLake

Hey, thanks for that Texas. Glad everything's sorted out. Good luck with your handicapping!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #107
Flysofree
Veteran

Tony, I had to do a System Restore after downloading your program. My computer slowed to a crawl after finally getting your software unzipped..I didn't know initially it required to be unzipped. It's been deleted.. If you decide to release a version with built in zip, let us know.. I'm not computer literate. Windows 7 here.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #108
TonyMLake

Hi Flysofree,

I'm sorry to hear that you had some problems.

Zip files are a common way of making files smaller on Windows and other operating systems. Many people prefer zip files, but some people don't.

I'm not sure why you didn't see the links to the .exe file, but there are links to the .exe file on the same page that the zip file is on.

If you choose to re-install the software, you may want to get help from someone you trust who can guide you through getting it set up - or just PM me.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #109
green80

We may need to ask this question. If you are using a black box type program, what win percentage does it have and what it the average win mutual?
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #110
TonyMLake

Hi Green80,

As I said in my original post, the way I knew I was doing well is that I haven't put any money in my account for several years and I ain't broke. I listed my exact race conditions to everyone who asked, and I think I posted it here.

Although the app is as "black box" as possible, the app does offer customizable algorithms, and your race conditions might be different than mine, so your mileage might vary. However, I did name the algorithm I use... and it's included in the app - and also I stated exactly which bets I usually make - therefore, you should be able to recreate my exact conditions and generate similar picks.

The posts that caught my attention were about black box software, and software that the users wrote themselves, so I mentioned mine.

It's not that I don't understand or don't care about statistics... indeed I used to teach them at the college level... but as a casual bettor I just found what was working for me and haven't put all the time in the world into it because I work a lot. Since it's a free app and doesn't even require an installer, you're welcome to try it out and run those numbers yourself, though. I have nothing to hide. I'm neither selling it nor touting it, just willing to share something whose conditions matched those mentioned in the thread. There are a good number of users who enjoy being able to use the app on their desktop and take it to the track on their mobile device, so, it's working for us.

I'm not completely adverse to a BLACKBOX SOFTWARE handicapping competition, though - I think that'd be fun, as long as the ground rules were set out in advance. My FREE software can pick at least as effectively as any handicapping software out there given sufficient sample size. NOTE THAT I SAID SOFTWARE. If we have a contest, it will be between competing software applications and no human intervention or interpretations can take place other than those rules set up in advance. For our purposes, we'd be having a "black box" competition.

I can't do it for a couple months though, as I rarely get enough hours free to pay attention on my current assignment... but... if anyone would enjoy that as much as me, lets do it over in the "picks" forum... We can set up the ground rules privately or, in a separate thread here in "Software" if that's appropriate to the admin and users / interested parties. In fact, I will post some proposed ground rules here in a few minutes.

This thread is several weeks old now, so, let's close this one out. If anyone has anything to say about the app that they can't PM me or email me for, perhaps start a new thread. This one was a general one about "black box software" and "software users wrote for themselves". It was never meant to be about the app I offered to share, but things seemed to have spun a little out of control.