Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #76
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Coen Brothers make good flicks. I really liked the True Grit remake as well.

The Big Lebowski was a Coen brothers film. Blood Simple was another good one by them.

Last edited by Nutz and Boltz; 01-04-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #77
HalvOnHorseracing

Very tough to limit the list to 10. It wouldn't be a surprise for most of the Francis Ford Coppola's big movies - Godfather I and II, and Apocalypse Now - to make somebody's list. I really liked Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange and a lot of his other movies. Paths of Glory, Spartacus, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Shining and Full Metal Jacket.

The Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood/Enio Morricone (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good the Bad and the Ugly) movies are always worth watching.

High Noon was a great western. Once Upon a Time in the West would be on my western list too. Maybe the best Western story ever written was Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage and the movie matched up with the book for telling the story. Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven was memorable.

Conan the Barbarian would have been a great movie if they had somebody who looked like Arnold and could act too. A Woman Under the Influence would make my list somewhere as would To Kill a Mockingbird, Taxi Driver, On the Waterfront, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

And anyone who saw Alien, didn't know what was coming, and didn't scream when it happened must have been watching with their eyes closed.

One thing everybody seems to agree on is that Citizen Kane isn't on the top of the list!
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #78
FakeNameChanged

1. Apocalypto(no English spoken, still great IMO) Mel Gibson directed.
2. Braveheart
3. Step Brothers (thought I'd hate it, and LMAO)
4. Raging Bull
5. Rocky
6. Battleship(WWII and modern day sailors fight with Aliens) I'm not ashamed to say this is my favorite movie of the last several years, in that the USS Missouri is used to win the day.
7. The Outlaw Josie Wales- might be my absolute favorite western ever, family makes jokes about how I know all the lines.
8. The Alamo-great John Wayne Western I saw with my buddies growing up. We even named a deserted coal bunker along a spur rr line the Alamo and conducted mock battles there, It strangely resembles the original Alamo.
9. All the spaghetti Westerns with Eastwood. A Fistful of Dollars might be number one.
10. The Godfather I & II
--Honorable Mention-The Dark Knight( with Heath Ledger as the Joker. I can't believe how good he was in that role).
Bullitt-McQueen and Mustang GT500.
edit: The Born Losers(Billy Jack movie) movie was borderline terrible, but I'd be remiss for leaving it off my list as it was my wife's and my first date ever). she makes jokes about motorcycle movies to this day).

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 01-04-2018 at 05:27 PM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #79
Actor
Librocubicularist

Best movie ever: Lawrence of Arabia

Best Science Fiction:
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still - original, the remake sucked
  • The War of the Worlds - original, Speilberg remake was OK
  • The Thing From Another World - orginal, all three remakes suck
  • The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms - inspiration for Godzilla?

Best Western: Once Upon a Time in the West

Every movie that Ray Harryhausen had anything to do with.

Kubrick:
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • The Shining
  • Lolita

Chaplin:
  • The Great Dictator
  • Limelight
  • Monsieur Verdoux
Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #80
porchy44

Lot of good movies I like already mentioned. One of my top 5 not mentioned is

"The Grapes of Wrath" (1940) with Henry Fonda.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #81
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Cinematic excellence.

"He's skiing on 1 ski!"

Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2018, 12:18 AM   #82
OntheRail

The Shootist.... is another.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #83
Actor
Librocubicularist

#43 Point Blank and #27 The Outfit

#43 on the list:Point Blank

Is Lee Marvin truly on a rampage and eager to kill who-the-hell-ever in order to recover $93,000 stolen from him through a wicked betrayal involving his own wife? Or are we watching a dream, the revenge fantasy of a man slowly bleeding out?

I don't buy the idea that Keenan Wynn's character is a ghost and the whole think is Walker's (Marvin's character) dying fantasy. Point Blank is based on the book The Hunter, the first of the Parker novels by Richard Stark (one of the many pen names of Donald E. Westlake). Walker in the movie is Parker in the book. Parker/Walker goes on for 23 additional novels.

Of the half dozen or so movies based on the Parker novels Point Blank is absolutely the best but, unfortunately, one of the least faithful to the material. Walker in Point Blank does not kill anyone. Parker in The Hunter either personally kills or is legally an accessory to over 20 murders. Walker is a sympathetic character, Parker is not.

The Outfit, #27 on the list, is the sequel to The Hunter/Point Blank and the two actually tell one story. Both movies have open endings with no resolution. The Outfit novel does resolve the issue.

Of the Parker movies two are not worth seeing IMHO, namely Made in U.S.A. based on The Jugger where Parker is a girl, and Slayground where Peter Coyote portrays Parker as a crybaby. Of the novels two are not worth reading, namely The Man With the Getaway Face and The Black Ice Score.

Parker(2013) is the only movie where Parker is actually called Parker. It was a critical and box office flop. I can understand where the criticism of the movie comes from but as a fan of the books I enjoyed it because it's very faithful to the book and follows the formula (for lack of a better word). Jason Statham's Parker is the best (next to Marvin's) but still fails to portray Parker as the badass he is.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #84
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
"Point Blank" was remade (well , kind of) as "Payback" in the late 90's.Mel Gibson played the Parker character as the most pissed-off individual in movie history.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #85
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
"Point Blank" was remade (well , kind of) as "Payback" in the late 90's.Mel Gibson played the Parker character as the most pissed-off individual in movie history.
Director Brian Helgeland, who also wrote the screenplay, was fired from Payback and much of the film was reshot to fit a revised screenplay. Helgeland's directors cut was released on DVD about 10 years ago under the title Payback, Straight Up.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #86
Actor
Librocubicularist

#1 The Searchers

The Searchers is based on a novel which, in turn, is based at least partially on an actual incident which took place in the 1700s. Part of the novel Last of the Mohicans is based on that same incident.

When Ethan and Martin get back to the Edwards ranch they find Ethan's family murdered. Star Wars has the same scene when Luke finds his aunt and uncle murdered by the imperial storm troopers. In the movie biz this is called homage rather than copyright infringement.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #87
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The real life incident occurred in Texas in the 1830's.

This was an entertaining read: https://www.amazon.com/Searchers-Mak...searchers+book

It ties together the history of the clash of cultures that was western expansion, some background on the author of the novel, and the making of the movie. Fun stuff.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #88
eldee wins

No particular order, Mr Holland’s opus, best western:Tombstone, Jaws, my favorite thriller: Arlington road(a must see), The Godfather,Rocky,Goodfellas,Rear window(Alfred Hitchcock version of course),another couple of favorites A Few Good Men,Rudy and my favorite comedy: Planes,Trains And Automobiles,We Are Marshall and Remember The Titans,The Sting. I say,”if you can’t watch your favorite movies over and over and still get a thrill,a goose bump or a laugh, Then they’re not that good of a movie!”. I recommend if you haven’t seen these movies, please watch them! You may have seen most of them.
eldee wins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 AM   #89
Actor
Librocubicularist

Lawrence of Arabia

"The trick is not minding that it hurts!"

The question is "how did they do it?" I've pondered this for years and have examined the scene frame by frame. If I had ever had the chance to ask Peter O'Toole one question it would have been "how did you do it?" I'm convinced his answer would have been "in one take." I've come to the conclusion that he actually did it. No tricks. He probably did mind that it hurt but this was offset by a big paycheck and a breakout role.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: