Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
pandy

RUNHAPPY at Keeneland

Runhappy runs today in the GR3 Phoenix in the 8th at Keeneland. For those of you who didn't see it, Runhappy won the King's Bishop at Saratoga in 1:20.2, and ran it in spectacular fashion earning a Beyer of 111, a Bris of 113, and a Timeform of 131 (same number that American Pharaoh ran that day).

Runhappy looked awesome and ran almost the identical race that Seattle Slew did when he broke the track record for 7 furlongs at Hialeah in his 3yo debut.

However, I thought the fractions and time were suspiciously fast, considering that Saratoga is not a fast surface. Some people have said that the track was heavily watered after the Gr1 Ballerina stakes produced slow fractions of :23 and :46 in the race before the King's Bishop.

Is Runhappy as fast a sprinter as Seattle Slew, or was his pace and final time numbers influenced by the track surface?

We'll know more in a few hours.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
lamboguy

i remember the Hialeah race and have to say that SEATTLE SLEW was more impressive to me.

interesting that you quote 3 different types of numbers. i think that Timeform is the most accurate out of those.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
pandy

The fact that Runhappy shipped in off a win over a speed favoring minor track, Ellis Park, and ran this strong of a race over the Saratoga strip was surprising to me. Not that he won, but the way he won. :22.2, :44.2, 1:08, 1:20.2. In his prior start at Ellis he was drifting out and shortening stride. In the Kings Bishop he kicked away powerfully.

If the Saratoga strip wasn't heavily watered prior to the race, as some have said, and the fractions/time are legit, then this horse should be a lock in the Breeders Cup sprint. But, I'm skeptical.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
classhandicapper

The first few major horses out of the race have kind of disappointed, but I think you can also make a good argument that the race solid. It was a good field and some pretty good horses got beaten up.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Jingle

Pandy--Runhappy looks like the horse to beat. I think I'll hook him up with #8 Alsvid and #9 Fast Anna, both 15-1 ML--and keep my fingers crossed.
Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

I think he faces a better and deeper field today than he faced in the King's Bishop. There are also more horses in here that will contend with him on the front end in my opinion.

Lets also not forget he is facing the defending BC Sprint champion today coming in off a monster win. Work All Week is 13 for 18 lifetime and 17 out of 18 in the Exacta.

I'm looking for a wicked hot pace in here with something coming from a bit out of it to come out on top. Barbados, Holy Boss, and Alsvid have my attention in this one.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 10-02-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
ebcorde
Veteran

what if it rains?

calls for showers in Lexington. Slop Racing all weekend boys. Any 4 horse field slop experts here?
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
I think he faces a better and deeper field today than he faced in the King's Bishop. There are also more horses in here that will contend with him on the front end in my opinion.

Lets also not forget he is facing the defending BC Sprint champion today coming in off a monster win. Work All Week is 13 for 18 lifetime and 17 out of 18 in the Exacta.

I'm looking for a wicked hot pace in here with something coming from a bit out of it to come out on top. Barbados, Holy Boss, and Alsvid have my attention in this one.

It's certainly doesn't look like an easy spot. That horse, Work All Week is a remarkable animal. Holy Boss and Alsvid are both solid sprinters. The James Bond horse, Waco, has improved sharply in his two starts as a 4 year old. I think his speed figures may be a bit too low. My Diamond System ranks him higher.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
thespaah

http://tessera13.intellicast.com/201.../314/layer.png
Radar for Northern Kentucky.....Yikes...
Just checked.....
Main : Muddy
Turf: Soft..Rail 10 feet
There are a surprisingly low number of scratches....
Hey NYRA management...Ya gettin this?.....Maybe you guys should think about fining trainers for scratching their horses just because the guy driving the harrow tractor farts.

Last edited by thespaah; 10-02-2015 at 11:48 AM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

I'd be concerned with taking a short price from post 1 on this track with no LASIx and a trainer nobody has heard of and a non elite rider. Tricky call. Loads of talent and can win, but at what price?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
classhandicapper

The track is a mess right now.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

For kicks, here is my RS/POS worksheet, using BRIS E1 and LP numbers.

Attached Images
File Type: png KEEN-8.png (2.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 10-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
pandy

Even though the track is sloppy/sealed, Keeneland is favoring closers all day so far and the rail seems dull. Tough spot for Runhappy but a good test for him. I boxed 4-8-11 exactas.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #14
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Runhappy. is this the same horse that ran at Saratoga? Looks like it lost some weight
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
thespaah

Rain/sloppy..
1 min to post. Runhappy has one third the win pool.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply