Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-31-2023, 12:32 PM   #1
PressThePace

Track Configurations

Thought it might be interesting to review notable characteristics of track configurations, starting with the turns. What North American tracks have the tightest/widest turns?
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2023, 01:59 PM   #2
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
Thought it might be interesting to review notable characteristics of track configurations, starting with the turns. What North American tracks have the tightest/widest turns?
The University of Kentucky looked at turning radius and the correlation to injuries in a report published in January 2021. Quoting from a report at the time by BloodHorse.

The study looked at four classifications of turn radius of between 50-114 meters (Delta Downs Racetrack, for example), 114-126 meters (i.e. Suffolk Downs), 126-129 meters (i.e. Churchill Downs), and >129 meters (i.e. Santa Anita Park and Belmont Park). For all tracks the fatality rate during the time period was 1.789 fatalities per 1,000 starts. The fatality rate for each group is as follows:

50-114 meters: 1.772
114-126 meters: 1.856
126-129 meters: 1.645
>129 meters: 1.865
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
The University of Kentucky looked at turning radius and the correlation to injuries in a report published in January 2021. Quoting from a report at the time by BloodHorse.

The study looked at four classifications of turn radius of between 50-114 meters (Delta Downs Racetrack, for example), 114-126 meters (i.e. Suffolk Downs), 126-129 meters (i.e. Churchill Downs), and >129 meters (i.e. Santa Anita Park and Belmont Park). For all tracks the fatality rate during the time period was 1.789 fatalities per 1,000 starts. The fatality rate for each group is as follows:

50-114 meters: 1.772
114-126 meters: 1.856
126-129 meters: 1.645
>129 meters: 1.865
Really wasn't thinking about injuries, but this is pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:57 PM   #4
mike_123_ca

I can't say for certain, but the widest turn in NA is likely the E.P. Taylor Turf course at Woodbine racetrack in Toronto.

E.P. Taylor Turf Course

Distance: 1 ½ miles with a 1 1/8-mile chute
Length of Stretch: 1,440 feet
Width: 100 feet in homestretch; 120 feet in backstretch
Banking: 4 per cent banking on turns
Base: Clay
Drainage Layer: 4 inches
Growing Medium: 6 inches of loamy sand over 6 inches of sand
Turf: Kentucky Bluegrass
mike_123_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2023, 02:12 PM   #5
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_123_ca View Post
I can't say for certain, but the widest turn in NA is likely the E.P. Taylor Turf course at Woodbine racetrack in Toronto.

E.P. Taylor Turf Course

Distance: 1 ½ miles with a 1 1/8-mile chute
Length of Stretch: 1,440 feet
Width: 100 feet in homestretch; 120 feet in backstretch
Banking: 4 per cent banking on turns
Base: Clay
Drainage Layer: 4 inches
Growing Medium: 6 inches of loamy sand over 6 inches of sand
Turf: Kentucky Bluegrass
Good info. Thanks, Mike!
Old 08-06-2023, 02:16 PM   #6
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
2 tracks that turns play a significant part of a race are Del Mar and Monmouth. Unlike most tracks in the US they are more circular than ovular. The turns cover more ground and they both have a short stretch. So you're looking for horses that run on their left lead particularly well and switch leads smoothly. Especially in races like the Haskell that attract runners from all over the country. I watched Geaux Rocket Ride sweep by horses in his last win at Santa Anita before the Haskell. It moved him up a few lengths and made him the play. A horse that is in front coming out of the turn and doesn't figure to fold in the stretch is a good bet at those tracks.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2023, 04:22 PM   #7
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
2 tracks that turns play a significant part of a race are Del Mar and Monmouth. Unlike most tracks in the US they are more circular than ovular. The turns cover more ground and they both have a short stretch. So you're looking for horses that run on their left lead particularly well and switch leads smoothly. Especially in races like the Haskell that attract runners from all over the country. I watched Geaux Rocket Ride sweep by horses in his last win at Santa Anita before the Haskell. It moved him up a few lengths and made him the play. A horse that is in front coming out of the turn and doesn't figure to fold in the stretch is a good bet at those tracks.
I didn't realize Delmar fit that description. but it really does. With regards to Monmouth, I've always felt that horses that carry speed were favorable.

Thank you for contributing.

Scott
Old 08-06-2023, 10:37 PM   #8
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
I believe Ellis Park is more rounded than oval as well - frontrunners on both the 9F main and 8F turf course seem to love it.

There's more to the fatality rate than simply track radius of curvature, IMHO. Quality of stock, drugs, vets, banking, track maintenance and surface to name a few.

FWIW the old Sportsman's Park in Chicago gets my vote for the worst place to run a horse. Sure seemed to be lots of breakdowns, especially with the track experiencing freezing and thawing. I would toss horses that made more than two starts at Spt when the racing moved to Hawthorne or Arlington. Another track in the Chicago area boasted one of the longest stretch runs (Balmoral), and when the thoroughbreds used to run their late in the season it gave the stretch runners a better chance.

Ah, the good old days.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2023, 10:10 AM   #9
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
I believe Ellis Park is more rounded than oval as well - frontrunners on both the 9F main and 8F turf course seem to love it.

There's more to the fatality rate than simply track radius of curvature, IMHO. Quality of stock, drugs, vets, banking, track maintenance and surface to name a few.

FWIW the old Sportsman's Park in Chicago gets my vote for the worst place to run a horse. Sure seemed to be lots of breakdowns, especially with the track experiencing freezing and thawing. I would toss horses that made more than two starts at Spt when the racing moved to Hawthorne or Arlington. Another track in the Chicago area boasted one of the longest stretch runs (Balmoral), and when the thoroughbreds used to run their late in the season it gave the stretch runners a better chance.

Ah, the good old days.
I’ve never played Ellis, but if I try a new track I always take a few minutes to research configuration. Sometimes it doesn’t really make a difference but it’s better know. When there’s a long stretch it gives closers a better shot. The differences might be a length or two in a close race.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply