Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #31
showonly

So everyone would be satisfied if they indicated that the free stuff you get when you first join may not last into eternity.
showonly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #32
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by showonly View Post
So everyone would be satisfied if they indicated that the free stuff you get when you first join may not last into eternity.
Not sure what leads you to that conclusion. Can't speak for others, but I would be satisfied if whenever they pump the promotion, they make it very clear that the promotion is for "vip members only". Won't change my perception of their character but it would correct the problem imo. To put it succinctly

Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #33
Parkview_Pirate

Reading through this thread, it's not clear if this affects all TVG customers, or just some, depending on state residency.

On Monday I received notification from Horse Tourneys that my account had to be deactivated, because as a Washington State resident, all contests had to be under the oversight of the state Racing Commission. The attorney general was in agreement. This was in addition to the existing restriction that my account could be "deposit only" in nature, which still allowed me to compete for the NHC, other tournaments, or small cash prizes for keeping my account afloat.

So, perhaps the "promotions" are in that gray area like contests and fantasy sports, and are interpreted as evil, unregulated activity where money changes hands, and "we ain't getting a cut".

I don't know about other states, but ADWs like TVG are required to send 2.5% of wagering account activity to the Washington State Racing commission, so in that sense the activity is regulated. I closed out my TVG account a while back, but have not heard anything (yet) from Xpressbet or Twinspires on promotion restrictions.

For me, I see this as a desperate act to control fiscal activities and somehow increase state "revenue". In this case it may very well backfire, as contest and promotion restrictions will hardly have a positive impact on wagering totals, thus reducing the ADW fees.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #34
thaskalos

I can't understand why all these "residential distinctions" exist in the horse-betting world. Reading the BetPTC website...the outlawed states outnumber the accepted ones...and there are no rebates allowed in the state where I live. Aren't we living in the "United States"?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #35
showonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Not sure what leads you to that conclusion. Can't speak for others, but I would be satisfied if whenever they pump the promotion, they make it very clear that the promotion is for "vip members only". Won't change my perception of their character but it would correct the problem imo. To put it succinctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79i9szAR6g

How is anyone damaged from TVG's actions. Yet you want clarity.
showonly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #36
jms62
Veteran

They handled this wrong and should have started it during a new Opt In cycle and at that time state clearly that it is for qualifying customers only and clearly display those requirements on their site. Totally bungled it.

After that anyone that didn't meet the requirements and still thought they are entitled really needs to get a grip.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #37
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
They handled this wrong and should have started it during a new Opt In cycle and at that time state clearly that it is for qualifying customers only and clearly display those requirements on their site. Totally bungled it.

After that anyone that didn't meet the requirements and still thought they are entitled really needs to get a grip.
they made a mistake and i am sure they now know that they did the wrong thing, but this is par for the course in horse racing. they are all getting their paychecks this friday no matter what and bottom line, that is all they care about.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #38
thaskalos

Maybe some accounts aren't active enough to suit the ADWs...and they are trying to anger the customers into closing the accounts down.

I had a Discover card that I seldom used...and they offered me a 50% discount on the balance to close the account.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-18-2017 at 05:14 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #39
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Maybe some accounts aren't active enough to suit the ADWs...and they are trying to anger the customers into closing the accounts down.
what a great way to accomplish that!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #40
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by showonly View Post
How is anyone damaged from TVG's actions. Yet you want clarity.
They are damaged because they heard Todd Schrupp pound the promotion in their ears many times, took the time to open up an account and send in money and fill out deposit forms and whatever else they had to do......and when they want to take tvg up on their promotion, Tvg tells the, you don't qualify. It is deceptive.

Yes I don't like deception. There is a product advertised on radio a zillion times a day. Try us out for x dollars. Guess what, I went to their website to get their product, but I had to opt in to an autoship program. Yes I can cancel the program if I like, but guess what, I didn't order the product. Why because I consider their advertising deceptive. Apparently it is legal, because products do this crap all the time. But guess what, none of them get a dollar of my business. If you like dealing with deceptive companies, be my guest. I dont. Also it is human nature, the more crap you get away with, the more likely you are to try worse. So if they are not put in check on this stunt, in a few months they are likely to try something even worse.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #41
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
They are damaged because they heard Todd Schrupp pound the promotion in their ears many times, took the time to open up an account and send in money and fill out deposit forms and whatever else they had to do......and when they want to take tvg up on their promotion, Tvg tells the, you don't qualify. It is deceptive.

Yes I don't like deception. There is a product advertised on radio a zillion times a day. Try us out for x dollars. Guess what, I went to their website to get their product, but I had to opt in to an autoship program. Yes I can cancel the program if I like, but guess what, I didn't order the product. Why because I consider their advertising deceptive. Apparently it is legal, because products do this crap all the time. But guess what, none of them get a dollar of my business. If you like dealing with deceptive companies, be my guest. I dont. Also it is human nature, the more crap you get away with, the more likely you are to try worse. So if they are not put in check on this stunt, in a few months they are likely to try something even worse.
Do you have any knowledge that they are doing this to newly signed up customers or just customers with a track record of low play? My money would be on the No on that. They couldnt be that dumb.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When did they put Todd Schrupp in customer relations?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #43
Southbaygent
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
When did they put Todd Schrupp in customer relations?
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #44
Southbaygent
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Do you have any knowledge that they are doing this to newly signed up customers or just customers with a track record of low play? My money would be on the No on that. They couldnt be that dumb.
The email didn’t specify any parameters, just that I’m inelgible no for advertised promotions. They did not cancel my account, or refund my balance.

Admittedly, I’m a “low play” member and I have done well with the “cashback” promotion.
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #45
teamshrink

Closed TVG

Same email. Withdrew and asked to close my account. I wonder if I can find another option?
teamshrink is offline   Reply With Quote Reply