Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbaygent View Post
You’re probably right, but I doubt many Turf club tables of four, about 20yards past the finish line with preferred parking included will be available. Granted, it’s not a cheap seats, but there are interested parties.
Yeah, those are basically the best seats in the house and will also have access to a lot of the areas where the beautiful people will be hanging out on Breeders' Cup day.

If you have the scratch for it, this is actually something like a once in a lifetime experience, similar to getting into Millionaire's Row on Derby Day.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Yeah, those are basically the best seats in the house and will also have access to a lot of the areas where the beautiful people will be hanging out on Breeders' Cup day.

If you have the scratch for it, this is actually something like a once in a lifetime experience, similar to getting into Millionaire's Row on Derby Day.
How'd you know I was sitting there?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #18
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
How'd you know I was sitting there?
LOL! I should have taken the opportunity to meet you at Fair Meadows when I had the chance.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
LOL! I should have taken the opportunity to meet you at Fair Meadows when I had the chance.
Trust me, I don't have the scratch for it (or looks), just happened to make a friend the last few years that does. You never know who your helping out sometimes when they ask for a favor.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
If you have the ability to wait I am willing to bet you get below cost seats on Stub Hub late in the week of the Breeders cup.

I suspect you are right. A couple years back at Keeneland (another small venue with expensive-ish tickets) you were easily able to get tickets at face, albeit at arrival and possibly too late for some, near the BC cup race times on Friday/Saturday. Not ideal for all, but can be done at times, and much closer to a reasonable price than how they look now.

Last edited by LemonSoupKid; 10-18-2017 at 06:37 PM.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2017, 11:05 PM   #21
thespaah

Another issue I have with the BC...Its a month too late in the year. Should be the end of Sept.
This way, more areas of the country with appropriate venues could host the event.
I don't like the fact that the BC has basically been devolved into a "California only" event.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Another issue I have with the BC...Its a month too late in the year. Should be the end of Sept.
This way, more areas of the country with appropriate venues could host the event.
I don't like the fact that the BC has basically been devolved into a "California only" event.
Sigh. We go through this every year.

1. It isn't California only. Kentucky hosts it frequently. They would also still go to New York if NYRA bid for it, but they haven't been.

2. It was always intended to be mostly California. We not only have the best weather, but we also have large tracks with plenty of permanent seating. Three of the first four were in California, and that wasn't an accident.

3. We have the best weather in September as well as October and November.

4. The BC is already really disruptive to the traditional stakes schedule in October. Move it up a month and you can kiss the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Turf Classic, and Champagne goodbye. Do you think that would be good for the sport?

5. It isn't "unfair" to run it in California. Our tracks have some of the best attendance. The only track that announces higher figures is Churchill, and there's some question as to whether those are even accurate.

Moving the BC around more means the event will be more expensive to put on, draw less people, and make less money. And that's assuming other tracks will even bid for it or do so on competitive terms to SA or Churchill.

This is an event that is owned by a private enterprise. It needs to generate sufficient revenue to pay for itself. It isn't some altruistic gift to the sport. California and Churchill have proven over and over again that they can stage successful BC's.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #23
AndyC

Quote:
.....There are also weather issues. It gets cold near the coast.
Projected weather and historical averages. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/de...weather/332098

Clearly you grew up in California if you think it gets cold in Del Mar.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #24
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Projected weather and historical averages. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/de...weather/332098

Agreed...sort of...

Del Mar in the shade in November can be chilly by Calif standards, but no, not compared to many other parts of the country.

But I wonder how many out of state visitors will think it's all sleeveless tops and shorts weather all the time?
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #25
dilanesp

Quote:

Santa Anita is a better site this time of year.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #26
AndyC

Quote:
Overall it is definitely a better site, but weather isn't the reason. They have 5-6 degrees higher highs but they have lower lows. So it actually gets colder at SA.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
Overall it is definitely a better site, but weather isn't the reason. They have 5-6 degrees higher highs but they have lower lows. So it actually gets colder at SA.
The BC is held during the day. So the lower lows are what matter.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #28
HorsemenHeist

I have 1 extra seat on Level 4, section 15, terrific open air view of the track for Saturday. IMO much better than Level 5 since on level 5, the roof is much lower. Willing to part with it for $275 which is at least $75 cheaper than the comparable seat on ebay/stubhub. PM me if you're interested.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #29
dilanesp

Quote:
The BC is held during the day. So the lower lows are what matter.
I mistyped this. The lower highs....
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #30
biggestal99

Quote:
Except for the year they had fires. Went to the track in a dark outfit and after the races had soot on it and I reeked of smoke.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: