Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
sausage

2005 Kentucky Derby

Ok, I know I am 12 years late and I know everyone here already has seen this but on the slight chance someone missed it I saw this for the first time a few days ago.

This video is funniest thing I have seen in a long time especially with Mr Rudolph being a man of colour and the looks the other announcers are giving him throughout. I love the stretch run where Ken loses track of Giacomo

sausage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
Afleet

Rudolph hasn't picked a winner since then
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I'm really happy for Ken. He picked a 50-1 longshot live on TV before the race.

At the end of the video he can be heard saying: "I have a future wager... at 50-1" and "I got another twenty five to win."

That's a real accomplishment in and of itself.

But I seem to remember TVG repeatedly touting something about Ken making "a life changing score" after the Derby that year.

Am I wrong about that?

If not, how is $25 to win a life changing score?

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
TheGarMan

Love this video...

I love this video, and I watch it often....

Reminds me of the "good old days" of the Derby, when anything could happen... (Giacamo 50/1, , Mine That Bird 50/1 , heck, even Animal Kingdom was 20/1)

These days we seem to be running a little more (shall we say) "predictable" ...

Awesome video, thanks for posting...
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
burnsy
self medicated

That was the last year I went to the Derby, I gotta get back, it was a glorious weekend. My friend actually had Giacomo to win and the Oaks/Derby double, I took a bath that Derby day but enjoyed a great meal on his behalf. I think that guy (Ken) hit the Tri in that Derby too........which was a monster number.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
That was the last year I went to the Derby, I gotta get back, it was a glorious weekend. My friend actually had Giacomo to win and the Oaks/Derby double, I took a bath that Derby day but enjoyed a great meal on his behalf. I think that guy (Ken) hit the Tri in that Derby too........which was a monster number.
i was there too. i had a table in The Gold Room with my wife and friends from Kentucky. i loved AFLEET ALEX and DON'T GET MAD. i played AFLEET ALEX to show. my wife transcribes court cases and does plenty of CLOSING ARGUEMENT'S. she doesn't bet but bet $5 w-p-s on him. my friend owned a stake horse that was bye HOLLY BULL. he backwheeled GIACOMO from the Oaks and played GIACOMO top and bottom in exacta's for $10 each way. we never thougtht of boxing the whole 4 numbers in a trifecta or super. the tri paid $100,000 and the super was $700,000.

i still went back for the derby a few times! its the greatest event in all over sports.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i was there too. i had a table in The Gold Room with my wife and friends from Kentucky. i loved AFLEET ALEX and DON'T GET MAD. i played AFLEET ALEX to show. my wife transcribes court cases and does plenty of CLOSING ARGUEMENT'S. she doesn't bet but bet $5 w-p-s on him. my friend owned a stake horse that was bye HOLLY BULL. he backwheeled GIACOMO from the Oaks and played GIACOMO top and bottom in exacta's for $10 each way. we never thougtht of boxing the whole 4 numbers in a trifecta or super. the tri paid $100,000 and the super was $700,000.

i still went back for the derby a few times! its the greatest event in all over sports.
I've wanted to go back, Thursday and Friday are almost as good as Saturday. I can't believe 12 years have passed by! Might try for 2018. My other friend loved Afleet Alex he was probably best but got a rough trip. Alex was definitely the best 3yo at that time though. I just remember my other friend being drunk and touting Giacomo all day long. He actually got more for the live win bet than the future bet. He bet Giacomo in one of the earlier pools and it was no where near 50-1 when Giacomo was still on the radar. That horse lost and then got lost in the shuffle. I did good on Thursday and Friday then I bet that chalky NY (Bellamy Road) horse, he didn't lift a leg. Had a tough Derby Day through out but you are right, it was a blast and the weather that year was so fine.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: