Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #16
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Aren't we beyond strategy but all about making the money?.......
I am confused. How is a proper strategy not the essence of making money?
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I am confused. How is a proper strategy not the essence of making money?
It sounds vague without specificity. In all the examples there is no mention of expectation return per bet. It's a neat and tidy intellectual exercise without addressing the real goal. I learned it by being pissed off by actual returns. I got greedy and realized the theory flow is bullshit.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Well, let's see...he's 61...had a heart attack a few years ago that landed him in the hospital for two weeks according to press reports...

That could be a reason for him scaling back...but you're probably right...he probably just upped and "deserted the sport he lived off of"

Does everyone owe you a living, or just people in racing?
Yeah that is some serious crap attitude. I'm all for putting on a pedestal icons and influences in our beloved game. Not toppling them.

Last edited by CincyHorseplayer; 02-27-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:05 PM   #19
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
What happened to Crist?

Took his Eclipse award and went home - deserting the sport he lived off?
Your narrative could not be more wrong, but even if it was, that dude did as much or more for this sport than just about anyone in this industry.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #20
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

In one of his books Steven Crist wrote that fav over the second betting favorite is frequently an overlay, because bettors more often use value plays under the favorite. I'd imagine an examination of the will-pays would confirm this although I never seriously went down this road.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #21
AndyC

Quote:
It sounds vague without specificity. In all the examples there is no mention of expectation return per bet. It's a neat and tidy intellectual exercise without addressing the real goal. I learned it by being pissed off by actual returns. I got greedy and realized the theory flow is bullshit.
So betting positive EV horses on top in exactas is vague? Boxing multiple positive EV horses is vague? Not reversing a top horse because of unknown EV in the second spot of an exacta is vague? The only theory involved is whether or not a bettor can identify positive EV horses. But that would apply to any bet that is made.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
In one of his books Steven Crist wrote that fav over the second betting favorite is frequently an overlay, because bettors more often use value plays under the favorite. I'd imagine an examination of the will-pays would confirm this although I never seriously went down this road.
That makes sense.

Or at least if not a +overlay, a better value relative to other combinations involving the favorite first and involving the 2nd choice on top of the favorite.

There's the public boxing 2 or 3 horses rather than betting straight...

There's the public using the favorite on top and trying to make a value play...

Also the tendency to include more horses 2nd than first (123/1234 etc..). While this is less pronounced than say a superfecta, a minor effect is possible.

I don't notice it at a glance, and I'm not sure it is significant. Sometimes the hierarchy, including 1-2 is so obvious that it seems the worst value is the 1-2 punch (justifying those value hunters). Then you've sometimes got the whales smoothing (batch-betting) 'inefficient' combos. Then you've got takeout.

I'd be interested in seeing ROI stats on exacta combos.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-27-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #23
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
So betting positive EV horses on top in exactas is vague? Boxing multiple positive EV horses is vague? Not reversing a top horse because of unknown EV in the second spot of an exacta is vague? The only theory involved is whether or not a bettor can identify positive EV horses. But that would apply to any bet that is made.
Yes. You are still talking handicapping principles deciding bets. Not payoffs deciding bets. Handicapping is involved in both but they are two very distinctly different realities. That's why when I hear the handicapping book generic quote/talk I just tune out. Yes we are talking about two different things.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #24
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
That makes sense.

Or at least if not a +overlay, a better value relative to other combinations involving the favorite first and involving the 2nd choice on top of the favorite.

There's the public boxing 2 or 3 horses rather than betting straight...

There's the public using the favorite on top and trying to make a value play...

Also the tendency to include more horses 2nd than first (123/1234 etc..). While this is less pronounced than say a superfecta, a minor effect is possible.

I don't notice it at a glance, and I'm not sure it is significant. Sometimes the hierarchy, including 1-2 is so obvious that it seems the worst value is the 1-2 punch (justifying those value hunters). Then you've sometimes got the whales smoothing (batch-betting) 'inefficient' combos. Then you've got takeout.

I'd be interested in seeing ROI stats on exacta combos.
No problem.

60 total races

46 played

21 cashes(46%)

13 Prime(28%)

Prime Returns-3,289.50

Total Returns-3,497.50

+2,021.50=137% ROI

AVG Bet=32.08

AVG Return=253.03

7.89-1 AVG Return

That's my last 60 I made my own version of lines and grids from. I'm not a big bettor obviously so I hope that inspires some bettors that don't think their bankroll is an entitlement to get away from trying to straight up earn.

Robert known you a long time. I know we are good.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
AndyC

Quote:
Yes. You are still talking handicapping principles deciding bets. Not payoffs deciding bets. Handicapping is involved in both but they are two very distinctly different realities. That's why when I hear the handicapping book generic quote/talk I just tune out. Yes we are talking about two different things.
What you call handicapping principles I call mathematics. Payoffs are merely a factor in the equation.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #26
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
What you call handicapping principles I call mathematics. Payoffs are merely a factor in the equation.
Andy I respect all you are saying. Just that an exact or philosophical yardstick implied about return on bet is never mentioned. After 20 years of playing the term strategy just sounds vague to me. Not trying to irritate anybody just being honest.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #27
Valuist

I like horses at least 15-1 in the underneath spot. Preferably an off the pace type, maybe looks decent in the warmup, then use under the most likely winner(s).
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #28
AndyC

Quote:
Andy I respect all you are saying. Just that an exact or philosophical yardstick implied about return on bet is never mentioned. After 20 years of playing the term strategy just sounds vague to me. Not trying to irritate anybody just being honest.
I never find it irritating when someone engages in a discussion. I expect differences in process, strategy, and philosophy. If there was universal agreement on everything there would be no reason to have a forum.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #29
classhandicapper

Quote:
In my view there are 2 times to make an exacta bet. One is to leverage an overlay I see in the win pool and two is to bet when I believe a low priced horse will be out of the top 2. In the first instance, I have found that overlays in the win pool carryover to overlays in the exacta pool. I did not find that the overlay carried over to playing the win overlay in the 2nd spot of the exacta. Hence, I see no reason to reverse the exacta bet made with my win pool overlay. When I feel a low-priced horse will run out of the top 2 boxing contenders is the preferred play.

I have rarely found a situation where an underlay in the win pool could be turned into an overlay in the exacta pools. It usually creates negative leverage.
That is my formula almost 100%.

I add one wrinkle. When I think the favorite is OK but I like 2 other horses more at better prices I sometimes bet both to win and do an exacta box. I know the favorite could bust up my exacta, but value to value in the exacta pool leverages to a ton of value. So I put a portion of the bet there.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #30
cnollfan

The heavy favorite finishing second tends to be an underbet exacta.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: