Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
highnote

DON'T TALK TO POLICE

This video is highly recommended. It explains why you should never answer a question asked to you by a police officer.

They can lie to you and mislead you and help convict you, even if you are telling the truth.

[YT="DON'T TALK TO POLICE"]6wXkI4t7nuc[/YT]

Next time you get pulled over for speeding you will think twice about how you answer the cop when he says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I recommend everybody watch it.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I recommend everybody watch it.
Police officers can be pretty persuasive when they interview a suspect. Like the cop in the video says -- cops are experts and most suspects are amateurs. This makes it hard for a lot of people to not give some sort of an answer during an interview.

The officer makes a good point about the U.S. justice system... in Italy, for example, the police can physically assault you in order to get a confession. The founding fathers understood this and factored this into the Constitution.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
This video is highly recommended. It explains why you should never answer a question asked to you by a police officer.

They can lie to you and mislead you and help convict you, even if you are telling the truth.

[YT="DON'T TALK TO POLICE"]6wXkI4t7nuc[/YT]

Next time you get pulled over for speeding you will think twice about how you answer the cop when he says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
I don't plan to lead my life that way. Being honest and sincere has worked well for me for all these years, I'm not going to change now. A cop won't be interrogating me for much anyway. I think my last speeding ticket was 20 years ago.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
I don't plan to lead my life that way. Being honest and sincere has worked well for me for all these years, I'm not going to change now. A cop won't be interrogating me for much anyway. I think my last speeding ticket was 20 years ago.

Well, if JustRalph, a former police officer, recommends that you watch it, you might want to take his advice and spend a few minutes watching it. Even if you don't feel you will ever need the information, someone you know might.

I plan to make sure my kids watch it and understand the implications of giving incriminating statements, even if they are innocent and telling the truth!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
shots

Glad I watched it. Don't let you guard down.
shots is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by shots
Glad I watched it. Don't let you guard down.
Saw this in the comment section of the video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtube commenter
When asked reply for the first time, 'On the advice of my attorney I have no statement to make.' If they ask you again reply, 'For the second time, on the advice of my attorney I have no statement to make.' If they keep asking you simply reply with the subsequent numbers. I've had police ask me half a dozen times or more before it sinks in, 'For the sixth time....' At which point they'll either cite you, arrest you, or quit bothering you and leave. If they cite you - ticket you - don't say anything Deal with it in court, but speak to a lawyer first even if just for a consultation. If you're arrested make double sure you clam up and ask for legal representation immediately. Once you do that everything afterward is inadmissible - fruit of the poison tree. If you don't you can be screwed. There's not shortage of cops who specialize in this. They take you to the station, someone comes in starts bullshiting you about anything you connect with, would you like a coffee, a smoke, gee we're getting to be good buddies aren't we, why don't you just tell me what happened and I'll help you out 'cause I'm your pal.....you talk and then you're screwed.

Rule #1. Don't talk to cops. Don't be a jerk about it. Just clam up.
Rule #2. See rule #1.
When this poster says there is no shortage of cops who specialize in this. This is the same thing the cop in the video says -- they're professionals and the suspects are the amateurs.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
highnote

In fairness to the police... sometimes people do get a reduced sentence because they are cooperative with the police and tell the truth. The problem is, you never know if this is going to happen.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Well, if JustRalph, a former police officer, recommends that you watch it, you might want to take his advice and spend a few minutes watching it. Even if you don't feel you will ever need the information, someone you know might.

I plan to make sure my kids watch it and understand the implications of giving incriminating statements, even if they are innocent and telling the truth!
I don't think raising kids to be uncooperative with the police is a positive lesson or good for society. What kind of trouble are you expecting your kids to get into?

It's one thing to say shut up if you wake up with a dead body in your bed and entirely another to say never answer (or help) a cop, even over something as minor as a traffic violation.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

This video has been around a while in one form or another.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS VIDEO
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
highnote

Quote:
I don't think raising kids to be uncooperative with the police is a positive lesson or good for society.
It is a positive lesson and good for society to raise kids to know their Constitutional rights.

I would really like to see how you explain why a person invoking their rights under the 5th amendment is being uncooperative with the police?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #12
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
This video has been around a while in one form or another.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS VIDEO
My wife, kids, and I had a terrific discussion about this tonight.

They had a lot of questions about what to do in certain situations. It's good that they want to learn about how and why the 5th amendment is used.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
It is a positive lesson and good for society to raise kids to know their Constitutional rights.

I would really like to see how you explain why a person invoking their rights under the 5th amendment is being uncooperative with the police?
Because of how you put it:

You followed it up with not answering a question when pulled for speeding.

That's terrible. You're teaching your kids to be belligerent and discourteous and assorted other negatives. There are times when one should answer and times when you shouldn't. You use your judgment in the situation. It's never a never situation.

If my kid was kidnapped, you bet I'm going to answer every question and be as helpful as I can be. If I'm stopped and asked if I know my taillight is out I'll say yes or no depending on what the truth is. If I wake up with a dead body in my bed and don't know how it got there, then I'm lawyering up.

A cop may even ask me if I'm having a nice day. I answer. You totally misstated the proper position here.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #14
highnote

Quote:

And if you would have watched the video you would have known what I was referring to. But instead you jumped on me like I was some kind of bad parent.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with not answering questions. It is not required and anything that a person says can be used against them.

Again, if you would watch the video, you would know why it is not a good idea to answer questions.

Quote:
That's terrible. You're teaching your kids to be belligerent and discourteous and assorted other negatives.
You're ignorant of the rights afforded to citizens by the Constitution. There is absolutely nothing terrible about teaching my kids to respect the law, work within the law, and exercise their rights under the law.

Refusing to answer a question is not belligerent or discourteous. The 5th amendment is a right that all the patriots that founded this country fought for.

Quote:
There are times when one should answer and times when you shouldn't. You use your judgment in the situation. It's never a never situation.
You cannot be penalized for exercising your rights. If you are penalized then your rights have been violated.

Quote:
If my kid was kidnapped, you bet I'm going to answer every question and be as helpful as I can be.
I assume in this scenario you are not a suspect and not guilty. However, if you are a suspect and are guilty then I hope you answer every question asked of you without an attorney present.

Quote:
If I'm stopped and asked if I know my taillight is out I'll say yes or no depending on what the truth is.
You need to watch the video. There are too many things to go into and not enough time for me to list all the reasons why this may or may not be a good idea.

Quote:
A cop may even ask me if I'm having a nice day. I answer.
It would depend on the situation. If I am under arrest and the cop was asking me if I'm having a nice day because that is somehow relevant to my being arrested then the appropriate response might be to remain silent.

If a cop passes me on the street and asks me if I'm having a nice day then I nod and say, "Yes. Thank you. How about you?"

Quote:
You totally misstated the proper position here.
I don't know what you're referring to.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:

That's terrible. You're teaching your kids to be belligerent and discourteous and assorted other negatives. There are times when one should answer and times when you shouldn't. You use your judgment in the situation. It's never a never situation.

If my kid was kidnapped, you bet I'm going to answer every question and be as helpful as I can be. If I'm stopped and asked if I know my taillight is out I'll say yes or no depending on what the truth is. If I wake up with a dead body in my bed and don't know how it got there, then I'm lawyering up.

A cop may even ask me if I'm having a nice day. I answer. You totally misstated the proper position here.
Simply stating that you won't answer questions without legal representation is considered belligerent and discourteous?...huh,that's news to me