Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-05-2024, 05:55 PM   #31
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Just saw where a Newsome owned restaurant is hiring at 16.00 dollars an hour. Cant make this shit up
The law was specifically written to exempt some of Newsome's places.

Rules for thee but not for me.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:56 PM   #32
mostpost

Quote:
Just saw where a Newsome owned restaurant is hiring at 16.00 dollars an hour. Cant make this shit up
Not that I believe this, but the law applies to franchises with 60 or more locations.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:56 PM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
I certainly will.
10 to 12 times I'm guessing.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:12 PM   #34
jimmyb

Quote:
Not that I believe this, but the law applies to franchises with 60 or more locations.
Good for thee,not for me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...rs/ar-BB1l6bd5
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2024, 06:23 PM   #35
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Mass Layoffs? Let’s see, McDonalds is laying off 1100. Pizza Hut is laying off 1200. Several others laid they will be laying people off, but try as I might, I can’t find numbers. Maybe five to ten thousand people will be laid off. Maybe!

How many people work in the fast food industry in California? 427,000, that’s how many. Around 400,000 will be getting a substantial pay raise.

Price increases? I saw a post on Twitter about one fast food outlet raising their prices between 30 and 60 cents. I am perfectly fine with paying a bit more for my burger so someone can make a decent wage. You do not need to raise the price of a Whopper $4 to pay for a $4 increase in the minimum wage.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:28 PM   #36
xtb

Quote:
No, the law applies to a franchise owner of a single McDonalds because the parent company "controls" more than 60 "McDonalds". A franchise owner of a single McDonalds gets screwed. They cannot absorb these costs.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:31 PM   #37
PalaceOfFortLarned

PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2024, 06:33 PM   #38
xtb

Quote:
Mass Layoffs? Let’s see, McDonalds is laying off 1100. Pizza Hut is laying off 1200. Several others laid they will be laying people off, but try as I might, I can’t find numbers. Maybe five to ten thousand people will be laid off. Maybe!

How many people work in the fast food industry in California? 427,000, that’s how many. Around 400,000 will be getting a substantial pay raise.

Price increases? I saw a post on Twitter about one fast food outlet raising their prices between 30 and 60 cents. I am perfectly fine with paying a bit more for my burger so someone can make a decent wage. You do not need to raise the price of a Whopper $4 to pay for a $4 increase in the minimum wage.
$4 x each employee x each hour they work. Plus increased FICA and unemployment insurance.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:39 PM   #39
davew

Quote:

Why would someone work for $16/hr when the same job across the straight is paying $20? So what is going to happen? The guy paying $16 has to bump pay, always be hiring new or close.

Gotta love the jobs report today. 300000 new jobs, mostly part time or government. Of course that number is before the revision next month and the revision the month after that, but it looks good today.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2024, 06:56 PM   #40
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

1. 5-10,000 people out of work is fine with mstlies.

2. mostlies can't find other number of layoffs. REMEMBER this lowlife is
the one who last week declaredreligious easter eggs did not exist, could find nothing about them after a long search. But I goggled religious easter egs and got 100s of hits for them. Proven liar in the last week right here!

3. his credibility is in the dead letter bin
Old 04-05-2024, 06:57 PM   #41
mostpost

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by, “ Good for thee, not for me.” If you mean the law doesn’t apply to Newsome, it would if he owned sixty or more fast food restaurants. He doesn’t, he owns (along with many others) four restaurants and four wineries. They are definitely not fast food restaurants. Entrees range from $28 to $67.

What everyone conveniently overlooks is that it is $16 an hour plus tips.
At prices like above, tips will be good.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:17 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It was written to exclude hisstores, moron.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:19 PM   #43
tucker6

In 2-3 years due to price increases, fast food choice in CA will be drastically reduced. Mark my words. Entrepreneurs are a lot smarter than the govt class.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2024, 07:26 PM   #44
Inner Dirt

I wonder what the employee expense burden is in a typical fast food restaurant as a percentage of the gross receipts. Curious to hear from someone who owned or managed a franchise. I like to hear from trustworthy people with boots on the ground not what the media says. I am sure people on both sides of the $20 an hour fast food wage will lie to make their case.
I am curious what it will do in areas of California with low housing costs.
Places like Newberry Springs where you can buy a decent starter home for $150k and you are 20 miles from Barstow that has 20 or so fast food joints that have to pay $20 an hour. Will the prices of cheap housing get spiked?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2024, 08:13 PM   #45
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
In 2-3 years due to price increases, fast food choice in CA will be drastically reduced. Mark my words. Entrepreneurs are a lot smarter than the govt class.

No chance, the left will keep screaming "corporate greed" as they do and the franchisees will cave in, lower prices, and have their family members put in 72 hour weeks without drawing a pay check to still turn a profit. You need to go to MSN and read comments to realize how stupid the average Democrat voter
is when it comes to understanding business finances.

First, most think all fast food locations are corporate owned, then they think high CEO pay is robbing the workers of livable wages. If the CEO of McDonald's divided his salary equally among all McDonald employees they would all receive an extra $10 a month. Also less than 10% of McDonald locations are corporate restaurants.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply