Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
jimmyb

New England as a whole has abandoned horse racing... Green Mountain in Vermont, Lincoln and Narragansett in Rhode Island. Foxboro, Suffolk and the Fairs in Mass. And are they still running Harness in Scarborough, Maine? Rockingham in New Hampshire is gone as well.

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-02-2018 at 09:50 AM.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Brass Hat

We own a tiny piece of a horse shipping from NY this weekend to Suffolk. The poor horse has run there twice without winning already. We will probably pass her driving back to Boston Sunday night from Saratoga.

Went to Suffok to see her run a couple of weeks ago. Suffolk actually has decent attendance when they race, there are a lot of horse racing fans around Boston. The "legendary" Burton Sipp is running a few horses there, so you can see the quality of the fields.

Years ago when they used to run a twilight card once a week, I used to go over for the late pick-3. He was running horses there at that time, with the oddest running lines. A number of California horses with year or year and a half layoffs, remember one was last trained by Julio Canani. Wonder where he got ahold of these horses.

Someone should write a book about this guy, his strange life. His wife was killed in a house fire, he also had a zoo at his house in NJ which was damaged by a fire. He has trained all over the country.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
mabred

ma gaming

If you really want to know the scoop the ma gaming commission

has a hearing today at 12:30 in springfield ma.The first item on the agenda is

the horse racing simulcast bill. google magaming and listen to what

they have to say for yourself.Don't forget if they pass this bill it will be for

one year and if suffolk doesn't run any races in 2019 [ at least one race]

they will lose the right fo simulcast again on 7/31 next year.Frankly that is all

they want.

mabred
mabred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #19
upthecreek

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #20
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post

Someone should write a book about this guy, his strange life. His wife was killed in a house fire, he also had a zoo at his house in NJ which was damaged by a fire. He has trained all over the country.
Met him, know him. He had a string of 30 horses at Suffolk off and on last 15 years. I've been to his Zoo many times, knew his wife. She was a foot taller than him and 20 years younger. Odd couple.
They both loved animals. Burton had a more of an odd relationship with Animals. If an animal died at the Zoo, he'd dissect it and examine its innards just because he found it interesting.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
New England as a whole has abandoned horse racing... Green Mountain in Vermont, Lincoln and Narragansett in Rhode Island. Foxboro, Suffolk and the Fairs in Mass. And are they still running Harness in Scarborough, Maine? Rockingham in New Hampshire is gone as well.
Scarborough is still around.

http://www.scarboroughdowns.com/liveracing.php
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #22
mabred

legislation done

1pm

just passed the house and senate now on it's way

to be signed by the governor.ALL is well in the betting

game in MA.plainridge moved racing from thurs to friday so

not one race will be missed.

mabred
mabred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Scarborough is, but barely. The place was recently sold to a developer who is interested in keeping racing there. Don’t know how that place still hangs on when the average win pool there is about $300.

You also have Bangor Raceway and the Maine Fair circuit, nothing in NH, RI, CT or VT and Plainridge in Mass (possibly Great Barrington). If GB fails then NE thoroughbred racing is officially dead.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #24
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Met him, know him. He had a string of 30 horses at Suffolk off and on last 15 years. I've been to his Zoo many times, knew his wife. She was a foot taller than him and 20 years younger. Odd couple.
They both loved animals. Burton had a more of an odd relationship with Animals. If an animal died at the Zoo, he'd dissect it and examine its innards just because he found it interesting.
He didn't love the horses he killed for the insurance money so much I guess...
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #25
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
He didn't love the horses he killed for the insurance money so much I guess...
Thanks for mentioning that. I did not intend to be a booster. He's a complex person with a dark side.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #26
Hambletonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Thanks for mentioning that. I did not intend to be a booster. He's a complex person with a dark side.
nope, he is a POS plain and simple.

The fact that anyone would license Burton Sipp is a terrible indictment on the integrity of thoroughbred racing.

Anyone who would murder horses in an insurance scam should never be allowed to step foot on a race track, let alone participate.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #27
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
nope, he is a POS plain and simple.

The fact that anyone would license Burton Sipp is a terrible indictment on the integrity of thoroughbred racing.

Anyone who would murder horses in an insurance scam should never be allowed to step foot on a race track, let alone participate.
Agreed.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #28
Suff
Beat up 💪

What's happened at Suffolk, this slow death over 20 years hurts me.

It was 1970 when owner Bill Veeck got the law changed to allow children at the racetrack. I was 10. I went every weekend with my Dad. *sometimes during the week *don't tell mom. So many wonderful memories of Suffolk Downs and the people I met there.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #29
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #30
Suff
Beat up 💪

6700 reported attendance today. Dylan Davis can't get mounts at Saratoga? He had had 6 at Suffolk today and won 3.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: