Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I'll be sure to write the same thing to you the next time a person of ME heritage blows something up or hacks a cop with a machete.

I'm not annoyed by its creation. I'm just wondering what exactly you think should be done to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Should we disband every police department nationwide and start from scratch?

The stats I've seen don't seem to support that there is this huge problem. Kind of like the stats you and your ilk like to bandy about regarding terrorism by people of ME heritage.

How ya' like me now?
The police here should become as the police in England -- totally gunless.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Might I add something somewhat constructive to this thread.

What you see in this story, if true (and I am going to assume that this was a wrongful shooting, although I haven't watched the video), you are going to see WAY MORE OF...more cops shooting people who don't warrant such deadly force.

Why? Because police departments are going to be forced to take in more and more questionable candidates to fill their ranks IF the police continue to be treated as pariahs by a significant enough portion of the population.

Not many people are going to be signing up to be cops if the current environment continues, so the police will be accepting more and more candidates that they didn't accept before. And you'll get more tragic results like we see in the story of this thread.

It will have nothing to do with black or white. It will have to do with the fact that the cop in question likely had no business being a police officer and carrying a gun in the first place.

Thanks BLM. Good job.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #18
thaskalos

Quote:

What you see in this story, if true (and I am going to assume that this was a wrongful shooting, although I haven't watched the video), you are going to see WAY MORE OF...more cops shooting people who don't warrant such deadly force.

Why? Because police departments are going to be forced to take in more and more questionable candidates to fill their ranks IF the police continue to be treated as pariahs by a significant enough portion of the population.

Not many people are going to be signing up to be cops if the current environment continues, so the police will be accepting more and more candidates that they didn't accept before. And you'll get more tragic results like we see in the story of this thread.

It will have nothing to do with black or white. It will have to do with the fact that the cop in question likely had no business being a police officer and carrying a gun in the first place.

Thanks BLM. Good job.
So...what do we do in order to prevent this regrettable situation? Do we just ignore this type of police behavior...lest our condemnation of it contribute to the degeneration of our police force? Was it the hostile "current environment" which resulted in this apparently "wrong shooting"?

If this lady officer was allowed to walk around with a gun...then I have a hard time envisioning a more incompetent police force. Did you see her panic and run away from the scene...after she shot the man? How does a police officer get worse than that?
Old 09-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Obviously, there are always going to be SOME incompetent members of the police force. But, it will only get worse if people start shying away from it as a career as a result of all the negative publicity cops are getting these days, most of it for political gain.

The stats simply don't bear out that cops are shooting black people at a disproportionate rate.

Quote:
But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than 1,000 shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...ings.html?_r=0

Obviously, the study above points to problems that need to be addressed with police and their encounters with black citizens. But if we're just talking about police shootings, this most recent study, conducted by a Harvard professor, shows no racial bias.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
Obviously, there are always going to be SOME incompetent members of the police force. But, it will only get worse if people start shying away from it as a career as a result of all the negative publicity cops are getting these days, most of it for political gain.

The stats simply don't bear out that cops are shooting black people at a disproportionate rate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...ings.html?_r=0

Obviously, the study above points to problems that need to be addressed with police and their encounters with black citizens. But if we're just talking about police shootings, this most recent study, conducted by a Harvard professor, shows no racial bias.
I just watched a documentary, where a Harvard-educated doctor declared that he recently conducted a "study" proving that high-frucose corn syrup is actually BENEFICIAL to our health. Clearly...Harvard ain't what it's cut out to be.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
chadk66

Quote:

Thanks BLM. Good job.
I agree. I have a buddy in town here that is a cop. I hadn't seen him in awhile. While I was waiting to pull out onto the road from a convenience store I saw a cop pull into a gravel parking lot and turn around and stop. It appeared to be him so I drove over there to BS with him. As I was pulling up I could see it wasn't him but figured I better pull alongside and explain what the hell I was doing. I had my window down as I drove up alongside of him. Just before I got even with him he jumps out of his car and has his hand on his gun. Right away I told him I thought it was Travis and I was stopping to BS with him. That put him at ease. However, I have visited with this cop on numerous occasions also. Granted he comes into contact many times a day with people he doesn't know. But that Dallas thing has all these guys on edge now.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #22
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I just watched a documentary, where a Harvard-educated doctor declared that he recently conducted a "study" proving that high-frucose corn syrup is actually BENEFICIAL to our health. Clearly...Harvard ain't what it's cut out to be.
High-fructose corn syrup isn’t necessarily worse for us than table sugar, but there is just too much of it in our food supply, says Harvard School of Public Health nutrition expert Frank Hu. While high-fructose corn syrup often gets blamed for the nation’s obesity epidemic, “we should worry about sugar in general,” Hu said.

But “because it’s cheap, consumption of high-fructose corn syrup has gone up so much in recent decades and has become one of the main sources of calories in our diet,” Hu said.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...uch-of-either/
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #23
chadk66

I watched the videos. From those views it looked sketchy. However, the view that matters isn't given to us. The view from a chest cam would have been the the best possible scenario. It almost appears he was reaching for something after they tasered him but it's really hard to say. Those other officer will be the ones that determine her fate I'm guessing. He certainly didn't appear to be following orders thus the taser was deployed. After that point it's really impossible to see what was going on.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #24
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
High-fructose corn syrup isn’t necessarily worse for us than table sugar, but there is just too much of it in our food supply, says Harvard School of Public Health nutrition expert Frank Hu. While high-fructose corn syrup often gets blamed for the nation’s obesity epidemic, “we should worry about sugar in general,” Hu said.

But “because it’s cheap, consumption of high-fructose corn syrup has gone up so much in recent decades and has become one of the main sources of calories in our diet,” Hu said.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...uch-of-either/
No...this was a different Harvard doctor. To say that HFCS is "as bad" as regular sugar is one thing. But this quack actually claimed that sugar isn't harmful to us at ALL.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
No...this was a different Harvard doctor. To say that HFCS is "as bad" as regular sugar is one thing. But this quack actually claimed that sugar isn't harmful to us at ALL.
Remember "science is always right."
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #26
MONEY

1) The tape looks like suicide by cop to me. Had Mr. Crutcher not reached into his vehicle, he would not have gotten shot.
2) If the cops would have moved quickly, they would not have put themselves into a situation to use deadly physical force.
3) The cops most likely didn't rush the slow moving "Terrence Crutcher" because they were intimidated by his size.
They had him outnumbered 4 to 1 with more help only seconds away.

Many of today's cops are unprepared to handle a physicle confrontation.
The only exercise they get before joining the police force is moving their thumbs around on their smart phones.
Lots of police academies stopped teaching self defense, because the recruits began suing for even the slightest of injuries.

Not to long ago, I saw a rookie cop in Houston that was at least 80 lbs overweight.
I could tell that she was a rookie by the condition of the equipment that she was wearing.
Until police departments get serious about recruiting & hiring only intelligent and able bodied people, nothing is going to change.
MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #27
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Thanks Money. Would you not also agree that if the current climate continues, it's only going to get worse, as less people apply for the job, and therefore the pickings get slimmer and slimmer?

I know you are former NYPD, and if I'm not mistaken, you've said on these forums more than a few times that you are black. I value your opinion greatly in threads such as these.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #28
chadk66

Hiring good people for cops right now is next to impossible. The climate is horrendous for it.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #29
MONEY

Quote:
Thanks Money. Would you not also agree that if the current climate continues, it's only going to get worse, as less people apply for the job, and therefore the pickings get slimmer and slimmer?

I know you are former NYPD, and if I'm not mistaken, you've said on these forums more than a few times that you are black. I value your opinion greatly in threads such as these.
I agree, the pickings are slim, some police forces are now hiring ex-cons.
MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #30
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY
1) The tape looks like suicide by cop to me. Had Mr. Crutcher not reached into his vehicle, he would not have gotten shot.
It's been reported that enhanced video has shown that his window was rolled up, so he couldn't have been reaching in. Also, when the officer first arrived at the scene, the door to the SUV was open. The officer cleared the driver's side of the SUV and closed the door before locating Crutcher.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply