Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Thumbs down Extortion Attempt At CDI

I hate giving out my SSN and this is the reason why.

Bitcoin extortion plot targeted Churchill Downs, but prosecutors and company kept it quiet
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ion/319667002/
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
AltonKelsey
Veteran

No way around using your SS at this time, you might as well refuse to give your name and address.

And 15 months is a slap on the wrist, no?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2018, 03:48 AM   #3
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
No way around using your SS at this time, you might as well refuse to give your name and address.

And 15 months is a slap on the wrist, no?
I think they should only require a SSN when a W-2G is required like when it's needed at the track, either by phone or online. Getting it up front saves them a tiny bit of time, I guess.

And yes, 15 months is a joke. It probably was a plea deal... first time offense, no harm no foul, etc.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
toddbowker
Todd Bowker

Well technically speaking, collecting and verifying a US customer's SSN is required by every US jurisdiction as a condition of getting licensed. It's a regulatory requirement, and at least in Oregon, we do get audited for compliance.

It's also required by the Federal government when it comes to anti money laundering issues, specifically filing FinCen reports.

For the customer's benefit, it allows you to get paid instantly whenever you have a "signer". Otherwise your money would be held outside your wagering account until it was sent in. Not to mention, we actually get fined by the IRS if we send in incorrect data on the W2G.
toddbowker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbowker View Post
Well technically speaking, collecting and verifying a US customer's SSN is required by every US jurisdiction as a condition of getting licensed. It's a regulatory requirement, and at least in Oregon, we do get audited for compliance.

It's also required by the Federal government when it comes to anti money laundering issues, specifically filing FinCen reports.

For the customer's benefit, it allows you to get paid instantly whenever you have a "signer". Otherwise your money would be held outside your wagering account until it was sent in. Not to mention, we actually get fined by the IRS if we send in incorrect data on the W2G.
Your point is well taken. It's just that my SSN is out there one more time in the wild when insecure servers are hacked. They may be secure in the ADWs mindset but not in mine or your average kiddie-script hacker.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj View Post
Your point is well taken. It's just that my SSN is out there one more time in the wild when insecure servers are hacked. They may be secure in the ADWs mindset but not in mine or your average kiddie-script hacker.
Should be noted that United Tote / CDI were not hacked. This was a former employee working in their datacenter, who had access to the system and was authorized to view that customer information. Those employees are required to obtain the same jurisdictional licenses (including background checks) as the ADWs themselves. Usually there are also additional layers of security before someone can view SSNs - whether it's manager approval, decrypting databases with private keys/passwords, etc.

The same thing can - and does - happen with people who work for credit bureaus, banks, or even government agencies. If a rogue employee is determined to take that info from an internal system, there's only so much the company can do to prevent it. Although that's not to say that more can't be done.

Definitely get what you're saying; unfortunately having your SSN all over the place is just the reality in today's world. Best you can do is have credit monitoring in place, and if identity theft does occur, jump on it immediately to mitigate the damage.

Last edited by AlsoEligible; 02-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Best you can do is have credit monitoring in place, and if identity theft does occur, jump on it immediately to mitigate the damage.
I already had credit monitoring I pay for every month plus I signon to my financial institutions every morning to see if there's any unusual activity. I also have a credit freeze since I don't plan on borrowing anything for awhile.

The problem is that Equifax invited hackers in with their porous security which exposed private information of yours, mine, and every other adult in the country. Thought you had frozen your credit with them? The password they generated could be figured out by a child hacker let alone Russians and Ukranians, the "best" hackers.

I hear the government is trying to figure out a better identifier than a SSN. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Best you can do is have credit monitoring in place, and if identity theft does occur, jump on it immediately to mitigate the damage.
Actually, this isn't quite accurate.

One of the best things you can do is contact all the major credit reporting agencies and tell them to do a CREDIT FREEZE.

This will restrict access to your credit reports...thus anyone who has stolen your identity and tries to open an account in your name will be denied. Of course, you will also be denied if you try to get legitimate credit, until you unfreeze your credit reports.

I've done this with all the major credit reporting agencies...did it all online and didn't take very long.

If you don't anticipate taking out a loan in the near future, it might be something to look into...

More info:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
molson721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj View Post
I hate giving out my SSN and this is the reason why.

Bitcoin extortion plot targeted Churchill Downs, but prosecutors and company kept it quiet
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ion/319667002/
I am very scared of Bitcoin. When my dental hygienist tells me I might want to invest in it, that sends a loud warning sign. Crypto currency will be coming in the future but when every Tom, Dick and Harry who knows nothing about Bitcoin recommends it, it is time to be scared. This story does nothing to give me confidence in Bitcoin.
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson721 View Post
I am very scared of Bitcoin. When my dental hygienist tells me I might want to invest in it, that sends a loud warning sign. Crypto currency will be coming in the future but when every Tom, Dick and Harry who knows nothing about Bitcoin recommends it, it is time to be scared. This story does nothing to give me confidence in Bitcoin.
It looks pretty shakey to me too. Reminds me of gold in the 70's.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: