Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
jelly
Veteran

Rough week for Del Mar,handle down over $7,000,000.

Last year handle $60,138,668.

This year $53,083,223

-$7,055,445
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
andymays
Veteran

The drop in handle is all on the TOC.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
sonnyp

geez, didn't the "match race" help ?
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
macguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
geez, didn't the "match race" help ?

I tried to watch it, but just lost interest... as a male, it must be my "incredibly short attention span."
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy
I tried to watch it, but just lost interest... as a male, it must be my "incredibly short attention span."
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

My first and last bet of the year at Del Mar.
$10 to win and "The Wonder Boy" Pat V loses the irons coming out of the gate.

-$10...........oh well

The End.......................
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChas
My first and last bet of the year at Del Mar.
$10 to win and "The Wonder Boy" Pat V loses the irons coming out of the gate.

-$10...........oh well

The End.......................
P Val has lost irons, bolted or fell off countless horses in the last few weeks. Half a dozen or more of P Val's mounts just mysterously he fell off thehorse, pulled the horse up or lost his irons. I'd say that there's a chance P Val is riding injured, but the racing commission isnt too interested in 'vetting out' jocks to make sure that they're fit to ride.

Caveat Emptor.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
P Val has lost irons, bolted or fell off countless horses in the last few weeks. Half a dozen or more of P Val's mounts just mysterously he fell off thehorse, pulled the horse up or lost his irons. I'd say that there's a chance P Val is riding injured, but the racing commission isnt too interested in 'vetting out' jocks to make sure that they're fit to ride.

Caveat Emptor.
you know as well as i do that PVAL is some type of draw in california, that is why they let him back in to begin with. even at his age he is one tough good rider though.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
jelly
Veteran

Over five days of racing, the seaside oval took a 10.2-percent hit on its betting handle over a similar period last year.

When asked on Sunday if he had any explanation for the dip, track CEO Joe Harper just shrugged his shoulders.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/equest...#ixzz1UddEPkGX
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
pondman

It's the Obama Economy! The cleaning ladies don't have the extra $2.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
Over five days of racing, the seaside oval took a 10.2-percent hit on its betting handle over a similar period last year.

When asked on Sunday if he had any explanation for the dip, track CEO Joe Harper just shrugged his shoulders.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/equest...#ixzz1UddEPkGX
Harper has come out publicly in support of the Customers on several occasions. He asked for a takeout reduction several times but the TOC was willing to throw Del Mar under the bus.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Hard to believe that Horse vs Horse betting on Sundays hasn't made up the difference.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #13
jelly
Veteran

Another bad week for Delmar,handle is down over $8,000,000 this week.

Last year $61,032,488.

This week $52,790,308.

-$8,242,180.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #14
stringmail

At this rate this is going it will provide CHRB the "argument" to raise the takeout because as handle declines the only sure way to generate revenue will be to increase takeout.

Everyone knows that as handle declines, the only way to grow is to increase your pricing rather than reduce your expenses. Afterall, if you are having trouble attracting business, why not increase the price of the product to exclude all of your consumers?

More seriously, though, it is a shame that handle is down. I haven't played much other than spot plays. While I enjoy the 2yr old races, I just can't get heavily invested in P4, P5 or P6 when it is a little too much of a dart contest for me.

I wonder if avg field size has improved with the new shipping incentives. If so, I'd hate to think what the handle would be without the low take P5 and the shippers enticing the bettors.
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
lamboguy

del mar is not playing with the same level playing field as other tracks. first of all their races are on synthetic surface so i would love to know the breakdown in loss of handle there between the turf numbers and synthetic. also the rebates one gets from racing at del mar is close to non-existent for 99.9% of the betting public. personally if i want to play the place, which i don't, my rebate level is 1.4% for w-p-s. and 5% for 2 horse tricks, and 6% for 3, 4 or horse tricks.
compare that with penn national, that overlaps with del mar, they are 9% w-p-s, 10.5% for 2 horse tricks, 19% for 3 horse or more tricks. the takeout levels between the 2 places is almost the same for w-p-s and 2 horse tricks. you probably get bigger field sizes in penn national as well. i don't think that penn national is suffering as big a decrease in handle as del mar is too.

but don't get me wrong, racing handles are falling like a rock in most venues that have boring products just like del mar. and some of the decrease in handle in del mar fall into the category of racing as a whole. i doubt if there will be much loss in handle if any this year for saratoga. but they have a much better meet to begin with because they have top horses coming from everywhere to compete. i am not sure that del mar has that same luxury like we do in the east coast. the racing secretary for nyra has taken every step to maintain the highest standards of their racing product. some days he finds it imperitive to card 5 turf races in a 9 race card to insure as many full fields as possible.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply