Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
JCapper Silver Pre Launch Announcement

I'm currently working on a new software project called JCapper Silver. I am getting very close to a release date.

The price for the JCapper Silver software is going to be very affordable. There are two types of User Licenses:

1. HDW Only User License: FREE
Under a JCapper Silver "HDW Only" User License, JCapper Silver will only run using the following data and results files:

a. HDW JCapper Data File
b. HDW JCapper Text Charts Results File

2. Dual Data User License: $97.00
With the purchase of a JCapper Silver "Dual Data" User License, JCapper Silver will run using your choice of the following data and results files:

a. HDW JCapper Data File
b. HDW JCapper Text Charts Results File
c. Brisnet.com .DRF Single Format Data File
d. Brisnet.com .MCP Multicaps Data File
e. Brisnet.com .XRD Exotic Results File

The HDW JCapper Silver Data Subscription Plan
HDW Inc. (Handicapper's Data Warehouse) will be offering a special monthly HDW Data subscription plan to JCapper Silver customers for the price of $89.00 per month.

This monthly data subscription plan includes unlimited file downloads, both data and results, for all thoroughbred tracks in North America.

Data File Export Routine
JCapper Silver includes a data file export utility that creates comma delimited text data files, 1435 data fields per record, populated with HDW data, in a format designed to be compatible with most of the popular handicapping programs and spreadsheets currently in use.

Beta Data Files Download Link
The following download link will get you a zip file that contains a handful of beta comma delimited data files, 1435 fields per record, for 6/20/2010:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/...le06202010.zip

I'm asking for some feedback on file compatibility.

If you are using an app or spreadsheet designed to handle single format comma delimited data files (like a Brisnet .DRF Single or .MCP Multicaps File) feel free to test the above beta files in that app. Note that the file extension of the beta files is .JCP and that you may have to change the file extension to either .DRF or .MCP to get the app or spreadsheet to recognize the file.

Feel free to post feedback about success or failure of loading the beta files and generating reports along with the name of the app or spreadsheet that you tried to use.

To date, the beta version .JCP files have been tested in:

1. Equisim V5, V6
2. Modern Pace Handicapping
3. Work Horse Pro 2.0
4. Aodds Super Gold 98 for Windows.
5. APlus 10.0
6. Raybo's All Data Spreadsheet
7. Handifast

Ultimately, I'd like to make .JCP files exported by JCapper Silver compatible with just about every app or spreadsheet out there.

About JCapper Silver
JCapper Silver a scaled down version of JCapper. It is database enabled. It is UDM enabled and comes with a list of features that I think will be very well received given the price.

Top tier factors found in JCapper Platinum such as JRating, JPR, JPRClass, UPR, PRating, Alchemy, PMI, CMI, FormConsensus, PowerConsensus, E~BettorsToteProb, OptPoints, etc. are NOT included in JCapper Silver.

However, JCapper Silver does come with a basic to intermediate level factor set that puts analysis of all aspects of the game in the hands of the player: pace, ability from speed figs, class, form, human connections, breeding, etc.

-jp

Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Zoot

.jcp file structure

Hi Jeff. I'm sure you have more than enough on your plate right now but would it be possible to provide the data fields structure for the .jcp test files ala the file structures that BRIS provides for the single file, multi file, MCP data files ? I know most of it may be obvious or easy to figure out but a definition of exactly what fields are used would be indispensible and a real time saver to those who may want to test using their own custom spreadsheet/database apps.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Jeff P

Zoot, Not a problem. Contact me privately and I'll email you a field map.

jeff @ jcapper . com
(remove the blank spaces first)

-jp

Old 06-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
plainolebill

Sounds great Jeff. I'm looking forward to trying it.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
speed

Will drf data files be usable in the future?
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Jeff P

If by .drf data files you mean files from DRF.com... No. I have no plans at present to enable support for those in JCapper.

If by .drf data files you mean Brisnet.com's .DRF Single Format Data File... JCapper currently supports those.

-jp

Old 06-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Grifter

Access?

Jeff -- Any idea how to get JCP files into Access? They are text files, but not recognized as such when trying to import them into Access.

-- Grifter
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Jeff P

.JCP files are in the following format: 1435 data fields per record... also known as a Single File Format because all 1435 data fields are contained in a single file.

In Access the number of fields in a table has an upper limit of: 255 data fields per record.

The same limit of 255 data fields per record is imposed in Excel 2003 and ealier.

Excel 2007 did away with the 255 fields per record limit... but Access 2007 did not and still has a limit of 255 data fields per record.

There is a separate (different) file format known as a Muti File where the data is broken up into separate (multiple) files - each individual file having no more than 255 data fields per record - The idea being to break the data up into chunks to facilitate importing into 3rd party apps like Access or older versions of Excel.

To import a .JCP file into Excel 2007, change the file extension from .JCP to .CSV. Then right click the file, select Open With, and use Excel 2007. Or, import the file into Excel after Excel has been launched.

To import a .JCP file into older versions of Access (or Excel 2003 and earlier) you are going to have to break the file up into multiple separate .CSV files of 255 data fields per record (or less) and then import each file individually.

There have been several threads in the past here at PaceAdvantage where the topic of converting Single Format Files to Multiple Format Files has been covered in detail. You may find this thread helpful:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...gle+File+Multi

It also wouldn't be beyond me (provided there's interest) to add a second file export routine to JCapper Silver to give the user a choice in format for the exported file: either Single or Multi.

Just so you know, there is a Build Database routine in JCapper that performs number crunching on data found in a .JCP file. After number crunching takes place, key values are stored in an Access table - enabling the user to get at the stored values.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 06-25-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Bruddah
Veteran

Jeff, you know how I play using your software. I have been ill the last two years but intend on making a strong comeback at Oaklawn next January. Please put me down for an upgrade. I will rely on your knowledge of the software and my usage to determine which is best for my play.

Looking forward to using your new product. The old JCapper was the best. The new version should be the greatest.

Best Regards
Bruddah
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I renamed the output files *.drf and they worked flawlessly with the old MPH (pre-Trackmaster).
Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
trying2win

JCapper Silver Pre Launch Annoucement

JEFF:

JCapper Silver sounds interesting. I have two questions regarding JCS:

1. Regarding the $97.00 Dual License Fee...Is that a one-time only fee, or an annual fee? The reason I ask that, is that some other handicapping software vendors charge a one-time fee, and some charge an annual fee.

2. Will there there be a fully-functioning demo available on a limited time basis, with a few features enabled, just like there is for the JCapper Platinum version? It's kind of nice for horseplayers to be able to test drive a new handicapping software, with some of their old data files.

Thanks,

T2W
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
~""Successful people decide how they are going to live; they are not victims of circumstance. In good times or bad times, they know where they are going and they know that they are going to get there."

--Bob Proctor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
trying2win is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
cklv

HDW Result Files

Jeff,

I am not familiar with HDW result files. You mention that the drf files would be compatible, for Aodds , Mplus, wh2, etc. Do you know if HDW result files are compatible with these programs. For example, Bris Flash Result file works well with Aodds and WH2 in building a data base whereas these programs will not accept the Bris exotic result file.

Thanks.

cklv
cklv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
wes

I renamed the output files *.drf and WINNING AT THE TRACK loaded the file. One thing I noticed with the file. All lines were complete. No screwed up lines in none of the races in the file loaded. This could be a big plus for those using the program.

wes
wes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklv
Jeff,

I am not familiar with HDW result files. You mention that the drf files would be compatible, for Aodds , Mplus, wh2, etc. Do you know if HDW result files are compatible with these programs. For example, Bris Flash Result file works well with Aodds and WH2 in building a data base whereas these programs will not accept the Bris exotic result file.

Thanks.

cklv
Hi cklv,

I'm not speaking for Jeff, however you still will be able to use the free bris flash result file to build Aodds and WHPro databases using the new modified hdw file as your past performance file.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2win
JEFF:

JCapper Silver sounds interesting. I have two questions regarding JCS:

1. Regarding the $97.00 Dual License Fee...Is that a one-time only fee, or an annual fee? The reason I ask that, is that some other handicapping software vendors charge a one-time fee, and some charge an annual fee.

2. Will there there be a fully-functioning demo available on a limited time basis, with a few features enabled, just like there is for the JCapper Platinum version? It's kind of nice for horseplayers to be able to test drive a new handicapping software, with some of their old data files.

Thanks,

T2W
T2W,

$97.00 for a JCapper Silver Dual Data License is a one time fee representing the initial price for a dual data enabled Silver program.

I plan on treating Silver customers the same as I treat Platinum customers:

Included with the initial price of the program will be free downloads of new program upgrades, new help docs, and new videos (as they are published) for a period of (at least) one year commencing with the initial purchase date.

After the first year of ownership is up:

The program doesn't expire in any way. The customer can continue to run the last downloaded version of the program for as long as he or she wants.

If the customer experiences a hard drive crash or goes out and buys a new machine, I will help the customer install an equivalent (sometimes newer) version of the last downloaded program onto the new machine or hard drive. I don't charge for this even if the customer hasn't renewed and is (sometimes years) beyond the first year of program ownership.

If the customer wants access to new program upgrades, help docs, or videos published after the first year of program ownership is up - Yes, there is a charge for that. It's called a Renewal/Program Upgrade Fee.

JCapper Platinum Renewal/Program Upgrades are normally $225.00. That said I run specials on Renewal/Program Upgrades from time to time. For example the current special for a Platinum Renewal/Program Upgrade for the month of June 2010 is $195.00.

Purchase of a Renewal/Program Upgrade gets the customer (at least) another year of free access to new program upgrades, help docs, and videos.

By paying a Renewal/Program Upgrade fee what the customer is buying are new features and factors that have been added to the program since the customer initially purchased the program or the last time the customer purchased a Renewal/Upgrade.

JCapper Silver Renewal/Program Upgrades will most likely be $97.00.

IMPORTANT: Before anyone jumps all over me for charging for program upgrades, pay attention to what I'm about to post next:

As many of you know, HDW pays us software developers a commission based on the number of data subscribers we send them.

For that reason, the price for JCapper Renewal/Program Upgrades (both Platinum and Silver) is FREE to HDW JCapper Data Plan subscribers.

If you are an HDW JCapper Data Plan subscriber, your JCapper Renewal/Program Upgrade is FREE for as long as you keep your account at HDW current and in good standing.

Q. Will there be a JCapper Silver Demo?
A. Yes... although I'm thinking 15-30 days instead of 90.

-jp