Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Maxspa

For Software Junkies!

All,
There is a new software being advertised on E-Bay. It is called "The What If Analyzer". The developer has a web site www.whatifanalyzer.com where he briefly explains the program. I checked out the site and it appears that there will be some important program sections that will be added later on, but for now there is included some basic winning strategies. The price is a seemingly reasonable $79.00 dollars. I do not own the software nor do I suggest anyone buy it, but it might be worth your while to visit e-bay or the website and see what's new on the software market!
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Thanks for sniffing this one out Max...you are the king at this sort of thing, and that's why we love you!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
AAcoolguy

advertisement

I thought I found that link the other day from an ad here at PA. Anyway, it reminded me of the Neurax program from TSN (at least as it is explained on the website). A neural net program.
AAcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Maxspa

Questions Regarding The New Software!

All,
I was alerted last night by a PA member, that there is a possibility, ideas and concepts from another software have been used in formulating the program I mentioned in my introductory email. I have no idea as to what degree or whether any infringement has taken place.
It is not my purpose to become involved with any of the above situations but simply to let members know what new software is available.
Maxspa
Old 11-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Vinnie

Hello Max:

Max, I hope that you are doing well? I attempted to look up that "What if Analyzer" that you had mentioned over on Ebay. Do you know if the link or url has been dropped for some reason or other? I can't currently seem to be able to locate the software on the Ebay website.

Thanks a bunch Max.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
headhawg
crusty old guy

Vinnie,

The auction for that program has ended yesterday so you won't see it unless you look for it under Completed Listings. It sold for $75.01 a BIG discount from the regular $79.95.

HH
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Maxspa

HH-Accurate Answer-

Vinnie,
Thanks to HH for his prompt, accurate reply! Since I check E-Bay on a daily basis, if the product is for sale again, I'll let you know!
Maxspa
Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Vinnie

HH and Max:

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was just curious as to the nuts and bolts of this program and its underlying approach in dealing with the handicapping puzzle.

Have a great day guys.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspa
All,
I was alerted last night by a PA member, that there is a possibility, ideas and concepts from another software have been used in formulating the program I mentioned in my introductory email. I have no idea as to what degree or whether any infringement has taken place.
It is not my purpose to become involved with any of the above situations but simply to let members know what new software is available.
Maxspa
Hi Max,

Which program? This is just a database filter/query utility which has reporting functions, which is not proprietary as to functionality. Are you talking about specific factors that are proprietary in some way? If you have your own database, this is just the kind of testing and reporting setups you would program for yourself. Appreciate your comments on this.

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
headhawg
crusty old guy

My guess is that Max is talking about JCapper (Play models vs play lists). Or maybe a bit like the no-longer-supported MaxcapperDB. And unless the programmer reverse engineered the aforementioned programs, the proprietary factors/ratings are likely not included the the WIA program.

From the looks of it, though, I think that Jake might be right. It could just be a front-end to a database which makes it easier for the user to do research, which is not infringing on any copyrights whatsoever.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
CapperLou
Spot Play Bettor

Holy Cow!!

I've been using JCapper since it's inception. Just saw the website for this software and it appears to me to be a "miniature imitation" of Jeff's program. There is no indication of who wrote this software.

It seems to me that whoever did is most likely one of the original 100 purchasers of JCapper. I'm just curious--who are you?????

If the above is on target--I think you have let all of us 100 original users down--jmo.

It's amazing what some people will do these days--do you come from one of the highest unemployment states? Did you need extra money? If you are one of our original "100", than it appears you are not trustworthy, but until we know "who you are" I'm just guessing. Yeah, I'm ticked off for Jeff and all the rest of us.

I will say no more.
CapperLou is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
headhawg
crusty old guy

The domain name is registered to a William Uminn, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is the programmer.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
willflop12

I am the aforementioned site owner, and I also developed this program. I was sent a link to this page and will make just a couple of points in follow up to the comments above.

1) There was no reverse engineering of Jcapper or any other software, although it is definitely similar to database software in terms of functionality.

2) The program does not contain proprietary factors to begin with, therefore, the idea that it generates factors created by someone else is definitely not the case.

3) Headhawg and Jake are correct in their statements that the program appears to be 1) a front end to a database that allows users to do their own research; and 2) that it is a filter/query utility that has a reporting function, which is not proprietary in fuction. There is not much difference between what this software does than what most users in this forum do with Excel/Access (except it has a user interface).

4) The intent of the program is to work with Raw Data alone, and in my survey of database software, users are usually forced to use the developer's proprietary ratings predominently when making systems of play or developing their own ratings (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it has its limits).

Will

Last edited by willflop12; 12-15-2009 at 02:08 PM.
willflop12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Bill,

As long as you want to do this publicly...

You may want to tread carefully here. I've consulted with a law firm that specializes in intellectual property cases. You may want to do the same... and specifically have them answer some questions for you...

Is the Whatifanalyzer a "derivative work" of JCapper?

Before answering with a blanket no... make sure you understand what a "derivative work" is and that your attorney understands that JCapper is copyrighted and that you have been a JCapper customer since 2005 - and that the author of JCapper can document that fact.

Where did you get the ideas for your work? Were they entirely yours? Or did you borrow some of them from my work?

Also ask yourself if some of the text/ad copy on your site and help docs uses what a jury might see as JCapper centric terminology.

Then ask yourself (and your attorney) if the Whatifanalyzer might be considered a "derivative work" of JCapper.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 12-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
willflop12

Jeff,

For clarity, I am not Bill. That is my Father, he has nothing to do with this.
willflop12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply