Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Y.A. Tittle

A legend has passed...RIP Tiger
Old 10-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Marshall Bennett

I was pretty young but can't forget the bald head. Great Giants quarterback. Played with Rosey Grier I believe.
Rest in peace tough guy.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Secondbest

A great Giant. Best moment, 7 touchdown passes against the redskins. Worst was when he was on his knees with the blood coming down his forehead against the steelers.
RIP
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Worst was when he was on his knees with the blood coming down his forehead against the steelers.
RIP
I can't hear his name without thinking of that picture.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I can't hear his name without thinking of that picture.

I see that photo frequently. It's on the wall at Neely's Barbecue in Marshall, Texas, Y.A.'s hometown (along with photos of George Foreman and Bill Moyers, also Marshall natives).
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
reckless
Veteran

YAT was my very first sports idol. The 49ers thought Tittle was washed up when they traded him to the Giants. Little did they know he'd have his greatest years in The Bronx.

I cried when he retired way back when.

The 7-TD game referred earlier was at Yankee Stadium and Norm Snead of the 'Skins threw 5 TDs as well!

RIP to a New York Giants and NFL legend.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Tape Reader

A late friend of mine was a motorman for the NYC subway. His run was the number 4, Lexington Ave, which happened to stop at the elevated 161 street station. Yankee Stadium.

He had the keys to a small “employees only” shed at the end of the station that had a partial view of the field.

All of us, freezing our balls off, would jam into the shed on game day, watching Y.A. Tittle. Marty Glickman, I think, was the announcer on our transistor radios. Back then, the games were blacked out. Great memories!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

The all initial backfield.

Loved to watch him.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
My 55 year love affair with the Giants began in 1962, the kid next door was a fan and we would watch the games on TV.My father LOVED baseball and liked basketball but I think my mother knew more about football than he did(and she didn't know much). The "Boston" Patriots (yes I go back that far) never got much play in my neighborhood.

Although Tittle never brought a championship to New York,his passing game helped accelerate pro football's tremendous growth in the 1960's.

A couple of interesting things about the iconic photo of Tittle on the ground.First off, the Pittsburgh newspaper the photographer Morris Berman worked for never ran the photo as they wanted action shots.Berman entered the picture in some photo competitions and won.It was published in Life magazine a few weeks later which made everyone aware of it.There are currently three photos on display at the headquarters of the National Association of Press Photographers: the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima, the Hindenburg exploding and Tittle bleeding.

Yelverton Abraham Tittle the est name in football history.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #10
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post

Yelverton Abraham Tittle the est name in football history.
Thank you. I always wondered.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 AM   #11
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I see that photo frequently. It's on the wall at Neely's Barbecue in Marshall, Texas, Y.A.'s hometown (along with photos of George Foreman and Bill Moyers, also Marshall natives).
I recall that photo as a kid. Iconic. Not sure why but I was a fan of his.

My wife is from Marshall originally. Tough town back in the 60s and early 70s from what I gather. I thought growing up in DFW was rough during desegregation, but apparently Marshall was over the top.

I've been to Porkys (supposedly the best of the McNeely legacy restaurants... My wife goes on about that family split and differences in the spinoffs), next time in Dallas give the pecan lodge a try. Really good bbq

When we're in Longview we go to The Catch. Very good stuff.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #12
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
YAT was my very first sports idol. The 49ers thought Tittle was washed up when they traded him to the Giants. Little did they know he'd have his greatest years in The Bronx.

I cried when he retired way back when.

The 7-TD game referred earlier was at Yankee Stadium and Norm Snead of the 'Skins threw 5 TDs as well!

RIP to a New York Giants and NFL legend.
Mine too. He was the best deep ball passer of his era. Helped change the game.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #13
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I recall that photo as a kid. Iconic. Not sure why but I was a fan of his.

My wife is from Marshall originally. Tough town back in the 60s and early 70s from what I gather. I thought growing up in DFW was rough during desegregation, but apparently Marshall was over the top.

I've been to Porkys (supposedly the best of the McNeely legacy restaurants... My wife goes on about that family split and differences in the spinoffs), next time in Dallas give the pecan lodge a try. Really good bbq

When we're in Longview we go to The Catch. Very good stuff.
Marshall was indeed rough back then, racially speaking. It was a diehard segregationist town. Things have greatly changed for the better, fortunately.

If you haven't seen it, check out Denzel Washington's movie, "The Great Debaters" from 2007. A true story. In 1935 the very first debating team of Marshall's black college (Wiley College) went on to win the national debating championship. (The film depicts Wiley defeating Harvard, but in reality it was the University of Southern California.)

I live in Longview, so I'm familiar with The Catch. Good stuff. My favorite restaurant was Cajun Steamer, which unfortunately closed a few months ago. Their chicken and sausage gumbo, along with the fried boudin, was outstanding.

Next time you're in Longview, try the Bodacious Barbecue on Loop 281. The ribs are great.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
pandy

Y A Tittle and Frank Gifford, quite a potent combo. I remember seeing them on tv when I was a boy and it got me excited about sports.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Some of my first football games on TV......a legend!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: