Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #61
reckless
Veteran

I haven't seen or heard much of anything along these lines but ...

... Since United feels their employees are more valuable than paying customers, where were these employees before they started to fill the plane? They weren't at the gate when the time came to embark, only after the plane was basically filled, no? I truly don't believe United was guilty of 'overbooking'; I think they were acting the part of a company simply too big to fail... which being a near total monopoly also breeds arrogance and contempt for the customer.

... The passenger claimed he was a doctor and needed to fly on that flight because he had patients to see the next morning, right? Well, shouldn't someone at United have thought that this fact alone was an important enough reason not to bounce him?

Last edited by reckless; 04-13-2017 at 07:48 AM.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #62
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I haven't seen or heard much of anything along these lines but ...

... Since United feels their employees are more valuable than paying customers, where were these employees before they started to fill the plane? They weren't at the gate when the time came to embark, only after the plane was basically filled, no? I truly don't believe United was guilty of 'overbooking'; I think they were acting the part of a company simply too big to fail... which being a near total monopoly also breeds arrogance and contempt for the customer.

... The passenger claimed he was a doctor and needed to fly on that flight because he had patients to see the next morning, right? Well, shouldn't someone at United have thought that this fact alone was an important enough reason not to bounce him?
we now live in the age where kids grow up and don't know how to manually add, subtract, multiply or divide numbers. their education is what is called "common core". they have no common sense whatsoever and what is really even worse is they really could care less about anyone else but themselves.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #63
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I doubt that gate agents have this kind of discretion. United's story is that the involuntary bumped passengers were chosen randomly by a computer, which is not credible. How many high-mileage frequent fliers ever get bumped?

A number of articles about this, by people who appeared to be knowledgeable on the subject, said that all airlines use a computer algorithm for such things. The computer ratings are based on a number of factors, with frequent flyers being bullet-proof. A big factor appears to be that the less you paid for your ticket, the more likely you are to be bumped. I doubt the agents can override the computer.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #64
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I doubt the agents can override the computer.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #65
Elliott Sidewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I doubt that gate agents have this kind of discretion. United's story is that the involuntary bumped passengers were chosen randomly by a computer, which is not credible. How many high-mileage frequent fliers ever get bumped?

A number of articles about this, by people who appeared to be knowledgeable on the subject, said that all airlines use a computer algorithm for such things. The computer ratings are based on a number of factors, with frequent flyers being bullet-proof. A big factor appears to be that the less you paid for your ticket, the more likely you are to be bumped. I doubt the agents can override the computer.
Some people are more random than others.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #66
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Sidewater View Post
Some people are more random than others.
I know from personal experience from when I used to fly a lot that the gate agents have a passenger manifest with details about your ticket and frequent flyer status.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #67
chadk66

I was listening to the Dr's attorney today at their press conference. This is going to get ugly. United is going to pay out the azz. Congress will be in this up to their ears before long. The guy has a broken nose and a concussion. Having reconstructive surgery on his nose. I can hear the till ringing from here.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #68
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Latest is that he was on his phone to his lawyer while the Police were attempting to get him to cooperate and leave the plane. In the same video he's telling the officers that they will have to drag him off the plane. Has been in the hospital all day claiming to have a concussion.
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but it appears you're the only one who gets what the good doctor was up to.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #69
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but it appears you're the only one who gets what the good doctor was up to.
there are numerous videos of the whole thing so if that was the case it'll be plastered all over soon.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #70
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
there are numerous videos of the whole thing so if that was the case it'll be plastered all over soon.
Please research the doctor's background, then draw your own conclusions.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #71
kingfin66
Bombardier

There was certainly a lot of hyperbole being thrown out at the press conference today. He was more scared than he was when he fled Vietnam? It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #72
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
we now live in the age where kids grow up and don't know how to manually add, subtract, multiply or divide numbers. their education is what is called "common core". they have no common sense whatsoever and what is really even worse is they really could care less about anyone else but themselves.
It seems like a big reach to blame this on common core. Common sense maybe, or lack thereof.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #73
Clocker

Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #74
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Or maybe there's nothing to get.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #75
Fager Fan
Veteran

Here's an argument that gets me. I'm hearing how overbooking is allowed, and without it, our ticket prices will go up. Reason? Because they have a number of no-shows.

What? So what if they have no-shows? If you're a no-show, the airline still got paid for the seat since you don't get your money back on a no-show. What they're doing now is collecting twice on a number of seats.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply