Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #31
onefast99

If the NCAA says they have no idea this was going on then I would investigate the NCAA. Since they cant police themselves the FBI is now doing their work for them. NCAA=Cash Cow. They wont touch certain schools like North Carolina with its no attend class infractions, but will go after meaningless infractions like Majerus paying for his players airplane ticket so he could attend his fathers funeral. Investigate the NCAA that will lead to change in college sports.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #32
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
If the NCAA says they have no idea this was going on then I would investigate the NCAA. Since they cant police themselves the FBI is now doing their work for them. NCAA=Cash Cow. They wont touch certain schools like North Carolina with its no attend class infractions, but will go after meaningless infractions like Majerus paying for his players airplane ticket so he could attend his fathers funeral. Investigate the NCAA that will lead to change in college sports.
The Alabama assistant that was busted by the FBI worked for the ncaa a couple of years ago, I read.

The NCAA is a joke. When smu got the death penalty there were a dozen programs in the SWC and big 8 that were just as bad, or in that same ballpark of corruption. The joke at the time was that the NCAA was so mad at Texas, OU and a&m for blatant cheating, they gave smu the death penalty.

The NCAA wouldn't have the balls to shut down Texas, a&m or OU or Nebraska. Smu was an easy target because it's a small, private university located in a city that was already saturated with other sports interests (Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, high school football.) Texas, a&m, Tech have always had a much bigger following in Dallas than smu. No one really cares about smu.... Easy target for the NCAA to hit hard, then say "see, we really are tough on violators", then take no heat for the decision.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #33
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
The Alabama assistant that was busted by the FBI worked for the ncaa a couple of years ago, I read.

The NCAA is a joke. When smu got the death penalty there were a dozen programs in the SWC and big 8 that were just as bad, or in that same ballpark of corruption. The joke at the time was that the NCAA was so mad at Texas, OU and a&m for blatant cheating, they gave smu the death penalty.

The NCAA wouldn't have the balls to shut down Texas, a&m or OU or Nebraska. Smu was an easy target because it's a small, private university located in a city that was already saturated with other sports interests (Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, high school football.) Texas, a&m, Tech have always had a much bigger following in Dallas than smu. No one really cares about smu.... Easy target for the NCAA to hit hard, then say "see, we really are tough on violators", then take no heat for the decision.
If Louisville doesn't get the death penalty no school will ever again get the death penalty. Penn State football should have as well.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If Louisville doesn't get the death penalty no school will ever again get the death penalty. Penn State football should have as well.
Amen!
Old 09-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #35
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Honest answer... Turn down money and shoes because my dad and brother would have set me straight on the subject when I was that age.

I know this is a widespread problem now, but it always has been. Just more money nowadays than in the early 70s. IN my Jr yr of high school we had eight seniors sign D1 football letters. All were offered cash and cars, some didn't accept. Big 8 schools were completely out of control at the time, esp Neb OU OSu Colorado and Missouri. The cash and cars offered was impressive

I agree and appreciate your comments on aau. Have heard about how it's jacking with HS basketball.
I appreciate your thoughts as well. This subject is near and dear to my heart as I've spent my career coaching and working with high school kids.

The vast majority of these kids come from the inner city. They have no parental guidance. They have not been taught the concept of integrity. But, on the flip-side you have adults, who are educated, taking advantage of these kids. And, it is really that simple. Blaming the student-athletes just doesn't jive with me after considering that the type of kids they prey on are the rule rather than the exception.

Sidenote:

Your account of guys getting cash and cars is absolutely true. I went to OU in the mid to late 80's. It was rampant..
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #36
ronsmac

College football and basketball are already the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Just pay the kids and put everything out into the open. It's not like any of this is surprising.Major College sports are for entertainment . I don't see what the big deal is.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: