Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #46
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
LOL. I think that my dad thought he was a bad ass and found out otherwise. Well, I guess my dad was kind of a bad ass, but Norton worked him. He said it was surprising how fast he was; much faster than my dad, who was actually considered to be very fast in his misspent youth. Norton was a great athlete period. He actually came to the Corps to play football.

The fact he got in there with Norton makes him a bad ass. I have done a lot of things in my life that showed bravery, had a good amateur boxing record and had the strength of 3 average men at the time. I wanted no part of Ken Norton after watching him train. I think watching him made me realize my boxing would never be more than a hobby, my dreams crushed at 18. A guy with Norton's speed is not supposed to have the kind of power he had.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 09-08-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #47
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB View Post
I was always partial to Floyd Patterson.

I watched the fight he had with Jimmy Ellis for the championship that was vacant after Ali was stripped of the title, and I felt for sure that he was robbed in that decision.

He had Ellis at his mercy late in the fight and his corner was yelling "knock him out! Knock him out!"

Floyd was sure he had the fight on points, though, and refused to finish his helpless opponent off.

That cost him his third heavyweight championship - he would have been the only fighter in that class to do that at the time - when the judges inexplicably gave the fight to Ellis.

I think what made me like Patterson was far more than his boxing ability. He always seemed like a classy, modest, gentleman out of the ring - an aura lost on most of those in his profession.
I agree with your opinion of Patterson as a person. In fact, his nickname was The Gentleman of Boxing.

But I was not much of a fan of his place in the boxing world. He was the light heavyweight gold medal winner in the '52 Olympics, and would have had a more memorable career in that class. "They" roadmapped his route to the heavyweight championship with some rather easy bouts. An elimination series was created after Marciano died, and the competition was "suspect" to say the least. He beat a very old Archie Moore to win the title.

The fighters he fought and defeated to defend his title (Hurricane Jackson, Pete Rademacher, Roy Harris, and Brian London) were not highly ranked. He showed a lot of guts in his fights with Johannsen, but IMO, Ingemar was not that much.

Anyway, I got to meet his adopted son, Tracy Patterson at an autograph session and Floyd raised him right.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #48
MutuelClerk

Ali considered Floyd Patterson Uncle Tom and really punished him.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #49
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
According to this writer, the Uncle Tom thing was to play the fight up so they could sell more. Ali and Patterson were actually friends.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...atterson-fight
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #50
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
Yes, all because Patterson refused to call him Ali and kept calling him Clay.

I believe Ali realized too late that he had gotten involved with bad people and he feared for his life if he went against them.

Last edited by Jess Hawsen Arown; 09-09-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #51
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
According to this writer, the Uncle Tom thing was to play the fight up so they could sell more. Ali and Patterson were actually friends.
Ali punished him for 12 rounds and taunted him throughout the fight, when he could have taken him out quite early.
Patterson actually went on after that fight to have a successful career in boxing, only losing decisions to Quarry, Ellis and again Ali in his last fight.
He was an average heavyweight champion imo.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #52
biggestal99

Jack Johnson-tremendous heavyweight who fought defensively and tired out his opponents. He was a thinking fighter when everyone else was a bruiser.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 AM   #53
dav4463

George Foreman
Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #54
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Last night shows why boxing will never regain prominence. It is simply too corrupt.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #55
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Last night shows why boxing will never regain prominence. It is simply too corrupt.
The one judge had it 118-110 to Alvarez was unreal! I had GGG winning by a slim margin. Great fight. Better than that BS fiasco a few weeks ago. But the decision WTF? We already know there is going to be a rematch after that awesome brawl, don't bring politics into it by creating unnecessary unrest. It's just bad business.

Anyway we got our money's worth last night. Pretty awesome brother! THat was fun. Been a while!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #56
ronsmac

It's weird that fans don't prefer open scoring. Every time it was tried it was met with disapproval. Boxing and MMA may be the only sports where we don't know the score as the event is happening. This is only the 200th or 300th bad decision I've seen in my lifetime.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #57
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
It's weird that fans don't prefer open scoring. Every time it was tried it was met with disapproval. Boxing and MMA may be the only sports where we don't know the score as the event is happening. This is only the 200th or 300th bad decision I've seen in my lifetime.
How do we know that fans don't prefer it. I have seen it tried in boxing before, but I can think of other reasons for them stopping it. More than likely, they think that if a boxing match is clearly over because of the scoring early in the fight, people will stop watching.

Maybe there are other business reasons. Maybe they simply like the suspense of reading of the scores. Don't know. Just speculating.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: