Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 06-14-2017, 04:16 AM   #1
ace4win

Laptop's Hard Drive

Can I still use the hard drive of my laptop? I have removed it from the old one after it was broken, and I am wondering if I can still use it as there are some important files in it.
ace4win is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4win View Post
Can I still use the hard drive of my laptop? I have removed it from the old one after it was broken, and I am wondering if I can still use it as there are some important files in it.
Here is one of many articles from a Google search on using the old hard drive:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/st...osure-3605133/
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
If I understand your question correctly, I had a problem with my computer years ago and I called The Geek Squad who was willing to transfer my files to another computer through a cable connection. But, my hard drive actually was dead as was my computer because of the electrical short.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Sure. If you want to use it permanently, just get a USB external enclosure for it and plug it into a USB port on your computer. There is some configuration you might have to do in the admin stuff to be able to use the drive. If you get that far, just write back for more info.

(Any computer store should be able to suggest the right enclosure.)

If you are a geek, you could also simply open your computer case and plug it into the proper connectors. (Again, the drive will need to be configured.) After you've copied what you want from the drive, unplug it and close up the case.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 AM   #5
plainolebill

Look for a hard drive dock that you set a drive in and connect it to a computer with a USB cable. I have one that takes both 2.5" and 3.5" drives, SATA or IDE. No more expensive than an external drive enclosure and a lot more versatile.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Looks like I have a similar problem. One of my computers suddenly went dark this morning.

When I power back up, I get the Intel screen and hit F2 for bios settings, but after that, all I get is a blank screen with a cursor blinking in the upper left corner, just like the old computers with floppy disks.

Fortunately, I have a W7 and a W10 ready to roll, but I need the data from the two drives. I'll look into getting a couple of shells to save the disks (hopefully).
Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Looks like I have a similar problem. One of my computers suddenly went dark this morning.

When I power back up, I get the Intel screen and hit F2 for bios settings, but after that, all I get is a blank screen with a cursor blinking in the upper left corner, just like the old computers with floppy disks.

Fortunately, I have a W7 and a W10 ready to roll, but I need the data from the two drives. I'll look into getting a couple of shells to save the disks (hopefully).
Listen closely for any beep sounds. That may give you a clue to the component that may have failed. There are lists online (Google search) that says what these beeps mean.
Have you tried to start up in safe Mode yet? Press or tap F8 as soon as the PC is starting.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No beeps, just the Intel screen, then a blank screen.
F2 nor F8 do anything to get to safe mode.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
No beeps, just the Intel screen, then a blank screen.
F2 nor F8 do anything to get to safe mode.
I had something similar on my XP machine. If you're able to get to the safe mode there's a diagnostic option. I actually used it several times. The first few times it stopped or failed to finish but eventually ran and completed. But, there were beeping noises which I didn't know what they meant.

I don't know what happened but it hung up when it got to the keyboard section. I purchased a wireless keyboard from Target and it's working just fine. Uncertain if that was the actual solution to my problem but like I said it still works after over a year. Accessing hard drive and saving files etc.

I've had several other problems like that with my XP and I think the diagnostic program actually fixes it (but, I don't know how it does it).
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I was finally able to get to the bios, but that is all.
Can't get safe mode.

I'm going to see if I can get a boot USB or CD and try that.
Worst case, i will see if the drives can be saved as stand alones. I have a W76 desktop ready to slide in place, but the data is what I really to get to. I have bacvk ups, but not of everything and not for the last month or so.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Gave it one more try tonight before I packed it up and took it to the repair shpt, an lo an d behold, I got to to the Safe Mode screen. One of the options was to start up in the last configuration that worked and it is back up and running.

Been backing up all night!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #12
Longshot6977

Great!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
zerosky

Iv'e had one of these in my tool kit for years. Got me out of trouble many times. Highly recommended.

http://www.newertech.com/products/us...ldriveadap.php
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Got to order one of those babies. Thanks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: