Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #196
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
All such questions should be directed to my representative on here, setup. Nobody appears to know me better, and he has agreed to save me all the work required to respond to such inquiries, work that would leave me neglecting my major role here, that of moderator and admin...
Not to take the thread off topic, but please don't let this dude get to know you very well. Please. Keep him at a good distance. His interest in other's boners, as he calls them, is a bad sign.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #197
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I will get to this early in the week when I have more time. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring this.
Thanks & take your time. No rush.

And to be upfront, I'm just trying to 'see what it is you guys see'. Just went to your site & looked around for awhile. I'll probably waste a few hrs there before it's all over, looking at the examples and all. Interesting stuff.

Grits,
Not sure if you'll see this post, but.... I do use a s/w program to handicap qh's, but the program's #s make up only maybe 50-60% of my decision for contender selection... the remainder of my selection process is looking at racing as a business (which is what it is). From reading your posts I think you do the same for t-breds (?)....For people like you and me, a program could "help" someone a bit , even IF that person decided not to lean on it 100% for decisions.....i just look at these s/w programs as a tool to be honest, not an end-all as some may do (and that's ok for them)
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #198
Grits

Elka, I'm one of Cj's subscribers. I always have his figures downloaded, here at home or with me to take to the track. These are downloaded and printed the night before when I handicap. Too, I print my Bris sheets then. I use both. Usually, I go short with the condensed figures which suit me fine, this could be because I'm simple-minded, who knows. They're as valuable as the full figures when used in conjunction with Bris sheets. At least to me, they are.

If I knew programming, yes, maybe I'd do the whole bit with software, filters, yadda, yadda. But, I don't. So, I stick to Cj's figures downloads and Bris. I'd love to have it all automated, and just look at it all in the evening and see if my day ended in the black, or in the red. But I don't see it happening.

One of the primary reasons being--I can't bring myself to lean on just the figures. I can't ignore the trainer that I know can pull off an upset, bringing a horse back who has shown the highest performance figure in one of Cj's fields--but its six races back, instead of the most recent three or four.

A friend is an English professor at Indiana University. For a good while, before college, he worked on the backside, first as a groom, then an assistant trainer. Great handicapper, too! He told me years ago, "Grits, there are handicappers that are numbers oriented. Everything is about the numbers, and they're successful. Trip and replay handicappers, they're successful, too. There are also handicappers that are people oriented. They read, they learn people. The players. They easily remember trainers, which one's are pointing for what meet, their habits, etc. Jockeys. Connections.

I've kept what he told me and it wasn't long after this that I began purchasing handicapper, Jim Mazur's meet specific books with trainer stats five years back, strengths, etc. I don't get them often anymore, just now and then. He is mighty good!

I look at all of this, along with running lines, traffic problems, class, figures, etc. Sometime, wearing myself out.

When you've got Cj, Serling, and Mazur--software might make it all easier, but I'm not sure how I'd get all three of 'em in a black box.

And you're right, racing is a business. I've run my business in real life quite well for many years. The racing business I can't control, but I can pass a race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
Thanks & take your time. No rush.

And to be upfront, I'm just trying to 'see what it is you guys see'. Just went to your site & looked around for awhile. I'll probably waste a few hrs there before it's all over, looking at the examples and all. Interesting stuff.

Grits,
Not sure if you'll see this post, but.... I do use a s/w program to handicap qh's, but the program's #s make up only maybe 50-60% of my decision for contender selection... the remainder of my selection process is looking at racing as a business (which is what it is). From reading your posts I think you do the same for t-breds (?)....For people like you and me, a program could "help" someone a bit , even IF that person decided not to lean on it 100% for decisions.....i just look at these s/w programs as a tool to be honest, not an end-all as some may do (and that's ok for them)

Last edited by Grits; 04-21-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #199
ElKabong

Grits,

Sorry, I didn't know you had a program you were using...Glad to hear it, tho. Thank you for the post.

I print condensed BRIS pp's as well as the s/w printout. Sounds like we approach it much the same, albeit different breeds. I look for trainer / owner moves w/ the pp's, then look at the s/w printout. Looking for priced horses only, from both angles. I don't mind betting 2 or 3 horses per race if I can get a good price. I bet 2-5 races per night.

I appreciate the reply. Aalways like to hear how others approach handicapping and betting

Last edited by ElKabong; 04-22-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #200
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
Congrats & nice work.

Now I'll ask the same of you, cj, and joeprunes that I did of rrpic6....if interested in doing so, post what you like about pacefigures.com's program & how much % the #'s go into your selection process, etc (i.e, still rely on bias / trainers / connections/ jock switches, etc somewhat/ none at all)

If this doesn't appeal to you guys (or rrpic6), I understand. It can become a nitemare: you post some generalizations (no one's going to give away the entire method), then some come in and poke holes in everything you say--- i understand! that can become tiresome and frustrating.....but it would make for some good reading if you could ignore the trolls
ElKabong:

Sorry if I did not acknowledge your request. I'm honored to think someone would want to know about my roller coaster rides in gambling on horses. Feel free to click on my screen name and look at my previous posts on PA. I don't know how far back they go, I think a few years got lost. As many here, I do have another job, so spending 24/7 on horseracing is not possible. My other job also has me spending a lot of time doing extra work right now, as does dealing with the IRS.

I will give one tidbit out right now off the top of my head. I do look for opportunities to play ten cent superfectas or Pick 4's at as many tracks that I can follow. As I work days, the night tracks that I've been successful at are Lone Star, Indiana Downs, Evangeline, Charles Town, as well as the California circuit. I've cut way back in California betting due to the higher take out and less horses. The domination of Joel Rosario and Raphael Bejarano in So. Cal. adds to the limited profits there (but I did make money on Rosario in No. Cal. before he became so dominant). Many scoffed at ten cent supers when they were introduced. I've personally have found them to be a gold mine. I look for really wide open races with big fields, http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...header=1fields, then will box up to 8 horses or will key one or two double digit horses in all the slots with five or six others. Check out race 3 yesterday at Indiana Downs.. $84 brought back over $1700. I can post my ticket later on from Twinspires. Using "bomber" jocks like Eddie Zuniga, Ramsey Zimmerman, Kerwin Clark, Junior Chacaltana, too name a few. As well as using solid jocks at Charles Town, Travis Dunkelberger, J. D. Acosta as keys to exotic betting have worked well for me. I'm a "figures" guy to a certain extent, but rarely will make a bet based solely on raw numbers. Swinging for the fences will lead to lots of strike outs, but will also get lots of home runs.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #201
ElKabong

RR,

Thank you, I will check archived posts of yours. Always interested in others' approach. Your current situation is similar to mine in many ways.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #202
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I will get to this early in the week when I have more time. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring this.
CJ,

I went to your site, it gives me pretty much all I was looking for. Very good job on showing a week's worth of "figures" along with a synopsis of each race you handicapped. I don't know how much you could (or want to) share than that. If you have more I'm sure I'm one of many that would read it.

Again, good job on your site walking thru a week's worth of work
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #203
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

I think our performance today should put to rest the bullshit argument that players that use (and know how to use) figures are somehow inferior to those who don't.
Never state anything as being inferior. Never reference to anyone personally or criticized anyone's play. I have given my views on a play hoping people see the strength and weakness of their thought process.

I try to criticize people's assumptions so they don't waste their life away bleeding at the track. I've read enough erroneous and glib statements to believe many of you need to relax and smoke a fat one.

I've throw a couple ideas out there and there are a couple of sharp people out there who have pointed out flaws in my gimmicky thought process.

I wrote some code on the first beta of Rbase. This day trader wanted to scalp the pool on weekend at SA. At the time I was indexing shippers with the West addition of the drf. I tried to warn him about the enemy, but he didn't want to listen. We ended with an interpersonally conflict. He played a wad. I spot play and cherry picked his play.

I know many of you know the weaknesses of your methods. And I'm sure you enemies do as well. But why try and convince the novice that you solved the problem when you haven't. In that respect you are scamming the novice. Why not warn the novice about the existence of the enemy?

So in context and comments to Windoor, you'll need to dig a little deeper than what's there for everyone. Because there are people who can and will do an end run around the fractions. If you want to make money you are going to have to do better than everyone else.

Last edited by pondman; 04-23-2012 at 05:21 PM.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #204
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
I tried to warn him about the enemy, but he didn't want to listen. ..........And I'm sure you enemies do as well. But why try and convince the novice that you solved the problem when you haven't. In that respect you are scamming the novice. Why not warn the novice about the existence of the enemy?

So in context and comments to Windoor, you'll need to dig a little deeper than what's there for everyone. Because there are people who can and will do an end run around the fractions. If you want to make money you are going to have to do better than everyone else.

I've read your post 3 times and I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what you are saying.

For starters I don't think you'll get much argument pondman that if you want to make money you are going to have to do better than everyone else and to that I would add some of the time.

But you refer repeatedly to the enemy.
Who are you referring to as "the enemy?"
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply