Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #16
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Look how easy it is for these contest guys to run up 100,000 wins

We should just hire them , and save the trouble of handicapping
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"Some kind of bet", you say....and yet you call this a "strong opinion". When the 5th betting choice on the board looks 3rd best to you...what type of bet would you contemplate making? And, if you decide on a win-bet...would you bet the same amount as you would if the horse was your top handicapping choice in the race? The 3rd-best horse would demand a reduction in the bet sizing...NO?
If I thought he was the 3rd best horse and a huge overlay I'd focus on exactas and triples because there would be value in just getting him on the ticket.

I might just do a normal key box with him and a small win bet. My combinations would tend to be of similar amounts in each slot.

If he was my top choice, I'd go heavier on top in exotcis and also have a bigger win bet.

I used to bet horses like that to win and leave it at that, but i ran into the issue you suggested. My long term records indicate that I do best with flat bets, but it's hard to make the same size bet on a 3-1 shot I think should be 8/5 and a 20-1 shot I think should be 10-1.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #18
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ejp View Post

How do you make your final decision?
After grappling with that frustration for years. I just "shotgun" races as vertical exotics.....Less frustrating, takes a steady nerve, but long term profits are better.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #19
erikeepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
After grappling with that frustration for years. I just "shotgun" races as vertical exotics.....Less frustrating, takes a steady nerve, but long term profits are better.
I too have started to hunt with a shotgun. I used to ALWAYS pick just one key horse. I was profitable but BR swings were too much for my mental health. With this current approach I am still profitable, I am able to find more races to bet, and the ride is much smoother.
erikeepper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #20
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
I think that makes sense of you hate a short priced horse enough to leave him out totally but have no strong opinions on the rest of the race.

I do that sometimes when I hate the favorite and know I want to get into the race somehow, but I'm confused about how good a few of the contenders actually are or how they are going to run today. Then'll I'l just box a few horses and hope I am at least right about the favorite.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #21
46zilzal
velocitician

Riding the coat tails has been, without a doubt, the BEST mechanism I have ever used.

Works best when a big odds horses come under or between the top two keys...There is the chance of a slight loss time to time, but when these long shots populate the places UNDER it, BY FAR, makes up for them.

You have to be PATIENT but with the ability to peruse many race via software allows you to be a more discriminating in where you back them financially

Last edited by 46zilzal; 11-20-2019 at 03:55 PM.
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #22
CheckMark

It depends on when a final decision is really needed for me. If I feel very confident about my top 2 horses. I do not make a final decision. But, if there are multiple horses who are pretty close to each other. I would do the following:
Best: Speed(1pt), class(1pt), Pace(1pt), form(1pt), jockey(1pt), trainer(1pt), workout(1pt), recent racing(1pt), angles(1pt). Most points is my top 2.
CheckMark is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #23
airford1

Current form cycle , dont make it more difficult that it already is.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply