Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #31
erikeepper

Not to sound like a jerk which I probably will, but I always thought you are already playing everyday, are a winning player, a real horse handicapping authority. Now you are saying that you were struggling, this one dude gave you some lessons and finally you discovered how to win, well at least 3-for-3....

So the Basics of Winning (making you a sophisticated bettor, learn how to exploit any race) and Renegade Handicapper (make a powerful and balanced odds-line everytime), these didn't work so good after all? Or this new thing is just better?

And what does this mean "we began playing for real this week"? What have you done in the previous weeks? Are you only now testing if these ideas from this mystery-man really work?
erikeepper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #32
dkithore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
Do the golf balls have numbers written on them so I know who to bet?
That's a classic answer.
dkithore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikeepper
Not to sound like a jerk which I probably will, but I always thought you are already playing everyday, are a winning player, a real horse handicapping authority. Now you are saying that you were struggling, this one dude gave you some lessons and finally you discovered how to win, well at least 3-for-3....

So the Basics of Winning (making you a sophisticated bettor, learn how to exploit any race) and Renegade Handicapper (make a powerful and balanced odds-line everytime), these didn't work so good after all? Or this new thing is just better?

And what does this mean "we began playing for real this week"? What have you done in the previous weeks? Are you only now testing if these ideas from this mystery-man really work?
Reasonable questions to me
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler
Reasonable questions to me
And more than likely to everyone else reading this thread.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #35
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Not being a jerk at all. It IS valid question.

We have played at a professional level in the past but not for several years. We had two very big years - where we had playing partners who made most of the wagers for us, using our software and my system.

There was actually a thread where I was goaded into discussing how much we had made the previous year, but as I said, this was several years ago.

I have, in the past 4 years, every day (played in streaks), sometimes for weeks at a time, but have found it difficult to maintain. My workload just does not allow me to play 20-25 hours per week and still run a viable business.

In addition, I could not get more than 3-4% ROI on my wagers after rebate. That DOES make me a winning player, just without the ability to make "serious" money.

With those kinds of ROIs it is very difficult to make the kind of money that allows for truly playing "full time."

As I have stated for years, it is my personal goal to earn enough money at the window to replace my income completely. For me, it is just not logical to play with (say) $60k per year as a potential target. Now we seem to have all that we need in place to "reach the stars" by comparison.

I hope this answers your question.

Dave

PS: Even now, we have a small stumbling block. For the first time in 20 years I am getting double-digit ROIs. Frankly, I did not think that was even possible anymore.

In addition, I am doing all of this with absolutely ZERO TOTE BOARD!

The key to success is a rather complex worksheet and it is taking me so much time to fill it out that I miss races. In addition, it is very fatiguing.

Once I get that worksheet semi-automated (by early next week) I will be able to play probably twice as many races.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 08-24-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Continual improvement.
The backbone of any endeavor.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #37
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Continual improvement.
The backbone of any endeavor.
That is a very simple yet highly elegant statement Tom. There is definitely a Plan - Do - Check - Act component to handicapping just as there is to any process. It would be interesting for someone who is well-versed in something like Lean to apply it to handicapping.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #38
thaskalos

Dave,

Won't the performance of this new discovery be adversely affected by a wide distribution?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #39
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Won't the performance of this new discovery be adversely affected by a wide distribution?
Since it has nothing directly to do with handicapping, I expect not.

I suppose that if it made 10 new professional level players there would be some impact, just as a new whale would have an impact, but no, I do not expect that it would have any measurable impact on anyone's bottom line.

Since there seems to be some confusion as to what this video actually does, I think I will post the exact description from the store here:

Quote:
Several months ago one of my highly successful users contacted me. He said that he was aware that I had been struggling to reach the level of success at the window that I desire and that he wanted to help. He began by saying that he would be willing to coach me and that I would be both surprised and pleased by what he would teach me.

Since I appreciate the value of coaching, and I know that he is accomplishing what I wish to accomplish, I decided that I had nothing to invest beyond the little time.

Over the next six weeks or so we spoke a couple of times per week. Each meeting was short-usually just 10 to 20 minutes. Only one session went longer than 30 minutes. Sometimes a lesson boiled down to just the couple of paragraphs or less. Unlike me, he is a man of few words.

The lessons were very direct and to the point. During the sessions I took very complete notes. And they accomplish the stated goal: namely, to change my outlook on racing.

I was so amazed by what I learned that I decided to share it with others. I asked and received his permission to build a seminar. (I have The costs so low that you would have to be nuts not to take advantage of it. People spend almost as much going to a 3-D movie.)

Do not mistake this for one of those “An Old Guy Told Me How to Win at the Races and You Will Get Rich” sales pitches. It is nothing of the sort. It is, however, a different way to look at what we do and why we do it. The end result, at least for me, is an inspiration and excitement I have not had for racing in years.

To be very clear, this is not a “How to Handicap” seminar. There is absolutely zero discussion of handicapping methods, contender selection, or how to make an odds line. Nevertheless, I believe it will change your game forever.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #40
dkithore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Dave,

Thask,

Dave could say, 'limited edition' or while the supply lasts. whatever makes sense to him. He has certainly made it intriguing and some who can not figure out without buying into it may just be skeptical. Nothing wrong with that either.
dkithore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #41
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkithore
Thask,

Dave could say, 'limited edition' or while the supply lasts. whatever makes sense to him. He has certainly made it intriguing and some who can not figure out without buying into it may just be skeptical. Nothing wrong with that either.
I meant nothing by my question...it was just a thought. I have no doubt in my mind about Dave's level of integrity...and I have received value on every single purchase that I have made from him.

I would pay Dave $17.77 just to talk horse racing with him on the phone for 10 minutes...as I would any other winning player. We are all life-long students in this game...
Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #42
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Not being a jerk at all. It IS valid question.

We have played at a professional level in the past but not for several years. We had two very big years - where we had playing partners who made most of the wagers for us, using our software and my system.

There was actually a thread where I was goaded into discussing how much we had made the previous year, but as I said, this was several years ago.

I have, in the past 4 years, every day (played in streaks), sometimes for weeks at a time, but have found it difficult to maintain. My workload just does not allow me to play 20-25 hours per week and still run a viable business.

In addition, I could not get more than 3-4% ROI on my wagers after rebate. That DOES make me a winning player, just without the ability to make "serious" money.

With those kinds of ROIs it is very difficult to make the kind of money that allows for truly playing "full time."

As I have stated for years, it is my personal goal to earn enough money at the window to replace my income completely. For me, it is just not logical to play with (say) $60k per year as a potential target. Now we seem to have all that we need in place to "reach the stars" by comparison.

I hope this answers your question.

Dave

PS: Even now, we have a small stumbling block. For the first time in 20 years I am getting double-digit ROIs. Frankly, I did not think that was even possible anymore.

In addition, I am doing all of this with absolutely ZERO TOTE BOARD!

The key to success is a rather complex worksheet and it is taking me so much time to fill it out that I miss races. In addition, it is very fatiguing.

Once I get that worksheet semi-automated (by early next week) I will be able to play probably twice as many races.
So you are confident that applying this information to anyone will increase their ROI no matter how they play?
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #43
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
So you are confident that applying this information to anyone will increase their ROI no matter how they play?
LOL - That sounds a lot like, "Can I keep doing stupid things like I do now and expect a better result?"

No, that probably isn't going to work.

However, if one is tired of the results they are getting AND they are willing to make changes... Yes, I believe it will raise their ROI.

If one is a pretty good player already - as I am - it has the potential to take one to heights that make one dizzy.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #44
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos

I would pay Dave $17.77 just to talk horse racing with him on the phone for 10 minutes...
Well, that's cheaper than $3.99 / minute
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #45
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
LOL - That sounds a lot like, "Can I keep doing stupid things like I do now and expect a better result?"

No, that probably isn't going to work.

However, if one is tired of the results they are getting AND they are willing to make changes... Yes, I believe it will raise their ROI.

If one is a pretty good player already - as I am - it has the potential to take one to heights that make one dizzy.
Well, I didn't say anything about doing anything stupid I meant different types of play such as straight flat win betting to only playing exotics etc. But I have a feeling your idea might have something to do with some type of money management plan.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply