Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #211
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Do you believe they did that because they were acting as undercover, uncoupled agents of Birdstone, or colluding out of sheer hatred of Smarty Jones?
I think a lot of people have forgotten how much general "I don't think horse X is worthy of winning the Triple Crown" stuff went around during the long drought between Affirmed and American Phaoroh. The speculation about who'd go with Smarty and try to wear him down was right out there in the open, as it always is with big races with where the favorite likes the lead.

And that's the problem I'm having. If it's alright to herd or pressure other horses in a race so they don't run their most effecient I don't see what's wrong with positioning somebody to discourage it as long as you don't foul anybody in the process.

This wasn't the 2014 Awesome Again, that was bad. Here RH only carried himself out to the middle of the track. Heck it wasn't even the 2007 BC FMT where a not quite in control Simply Perfect carried Precious Kitten and Arravale out on a turn.

This wasn't the 2014 Classic which was worse than the Awesome Again. Nobody in the Belmont got taken completely out of things in the opening furlong.

In reality nobody was fouled. RH had no more than incidental contact with any other horse and looking at the head-on you see a lot of that as they bumped and jostled their way toward the first turn.

If the horses didn't have the same trainer one could easily see it as a horse that broke a step slow being asked to get a better position right behind the leader, became rank and blew the turn before being corraled back and placed where the jockey wanted him. Heck that's what it still looks like to me.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #212
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Good luck ignoring the rabbit when you have a horse like Holy Bull or something similar...a horse who is always on the lead...

Ask Holy Bull (well, you can't know, because he's dead) if he was going to ignore Comanche Trail (Tabasco Cat's rabbit) in the 1994 Travers.

Fager Fan should ask Dr. Fager how easy it was for him to ignore Hedevar.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #213
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored View Post
I think a lot of people have forgotten how much general "I don't think horse X is worthy of winning the Triple Crown" stuff went around during the long drought between Affirmed and American Phaoroh. The speculation about who'd go with Smarty and try to wear him down was right out there in the open, as it always is with big races with where the favorite likes the lead.

And that's the problem I'm having. If it's alright to herd or pressure other horses in a race so they don't run their most effecient I don't see what's wrong with positioning somebody to discourage it as long as you don't foul anybody in the process.

This wasn't the 2014 Awesome Again, that was bad. Here RH only carried himself out to the middle of the track. Heck it wasn't even the 2007 BC FMT where a not quite in control Simply Perfect carried Precious Kitten and Arravale out on a turn.

This wasn't the 2014 Classic which was worse than the Awesome Again. Nobody in the Belmont got taken completely out of things in the opening furlong.

In reality nobody was fouled. RH had no more than incidental contact with any other horse and looking at the head-on you see a lot of that as they bumped and jostled their way toward the first turn.

If the horses didn't have the same trainer one could easily see it as a horse that broke a step slow being asked to get a better position right behind the leader, became rank and blew the turn before being corraled back and placed where the jockey wanted him. Heck that's what it still looks like to me.
Oh no, that can't be it...you must be too close to the industry...
Old 06-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #214
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If you bet on RH, you deserved to lose!
This is the game they have set up - uncoupled entries.
Live with it or change it.
I say change it, and while we are at it, come up with something more fair and intelligent than than putting the 3 stooges in a booth with a TV screen ( an liquor) and expecting good policing of the game. The idea is totally absurd.

Let's go after the REAL problems.
NYRA has a history of steward incompetence.
1. If you bet on RH, you deserved to lose!

A. Spoken like a true gambler. Screw everybody as long as I cash. Nice attitude. Unlike you, my posts on this topic are about the integrity of the game , the dishonesty that I witnessed and the questions that need to be answered by the rider and the trainer in front of the governing body.

The fact that you say this and laugh about it simply proves what management counts on, that being, that gamblers are only in it for themselves and will never muster enough of a group to force any changes at all. So far, they are right. After all, you just reaffirmed it.

2.This is the game they have set up - uncoupled entries.

A. And customers let them.

3. I say change it, and while we are at it, come up with something more fair and intelligent than than putting the 3 stooges in a booth with a TV screen ( an liquor) and expecting good policing of the game. The idea is totally absurd.

A. Change that as well. That's fine with me. The part about liquor is on you to prove though. I was in the Stewards room during the running of races or directly before or after many times in a period of 24 years and I NEVER saw anything close to that.

4.Let's go after the REAL problems.
NYRA has a history of steward incompetence.[/QUOTE]

A. If you don't think that what Restoring Hope's jockey did to anybody that bet on him or the owners of him is a REAL problem then that in itself is a problem.
What he did was break one rule by not putting forth his best effort to win. And if it can be proven that he willfully led interference for his stablemate to have a better chance, he broke another rule.
These rules are very clear and very simple. And they are put in place to protect the public. Not other trainers. The public. These are well known to every jockey and trainer that has a license. Hell, one of those rules was on my trainers test in the 70's for God's sake.

I am not a customer. You, and I will assume most other here are. I go to the track or wager maybe once or twice a year at the most, if at all. It is an opportunity to see high school friends and reminisce about cutting class and going to Bowie and the old days.
Yet I am appalled at the actions taken in this race including the blinkers off of Restoring Hope that took place well after the entry, which is a rule violation and well after the betting started, which is another rule violation and you and I think others as well seem to have no cares about it at all presumably because you bet the winner?
Thankfully I have seen plenty of customers in here that are mad about it regardless of who they bet. That is really good to see.

You know folks, all these people that are Stewards and management at every track in the country are, are just ordinary people. They won't bite. And the majority of them would welcome a sit down with respectful customers that had real issues to discuss. All you have to do is walk up to them and start talking to them. Act classy, act respectful, and ask for a slot of time . You might be surprised at how many would say yes. I would hope that same would be true for the Jocks representative.There is one jock that represents each colony at each track. Same goes for trainers. Just ask.
And it probably won't amount to much. But it's a start. Without face to face dialog, all that will happen is we will all type like hell to try and feel a little better. But it solves nothing. It only lasts until the next post .

I feel for the customers. I always have. That's because before I was a horseman, I WAS a customer. And that was part of what made me unique on the backside. Before becoming a hot walker my knowledge of horses came from watching Mr. Ed.
When I first started at the track it took me 3 days to learn which end crapped.
By the way, it's true, horses do talk. Just not with words. It takes a long time to learn what they are saying but they talk a lot. Just have to learn how to listen. And the eyes and mouth of Restoring Hope were loud and clear to me. So were the relaxed, well within himself strides of Justify. That race was OVER when 1:13 and change went up.
Could you hear and see that Tom? I could.
But Stewards, management , jocks and trainers talk with words. And they are easy to understand. But unless someone tries, it won't happen.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 06-12-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #215
dilanesp

I would feel a lot more sanguine about saying "that's just racing" if we knew exactly what happened. Get people on the record and let's find out what Geroux's actual instructions were. Let's figure out if we have to do something about overlapping ownership and uncoupling and the like.

If we know all the facts and decide to go ahead and allow it, sure, caveat gambler. But I don't think we can make that call without knowing what actually happened here.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #216
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I would feel a lot more sanguine about saying "that's just racing" if we knew exactly what happened. Get people on the record and let's find out what Geroux's actual instructions were. Let's figure out if we have to do something about overlapping ownership and uncoupling and the like.

If we know all the facts and decide to go ahead and allow it, sure, caveat gambler. But I don't think we can make that call without knowing what actually happened here.
Since when do Trainers and Jockeys tell the truth? They are just as bad as politicians.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #217
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
1. If you bet on RH, you deserved to lose!

A. Spoken like a true gambler. Screw everybody as long as I cash. Nice attitude. Unlike you, my posts on this topic are about the integrity of the game , the dishonesty that I witnessed and the questions that need to be answered by the rider and the trainer in front of the governing body.

The fact that you say this and laugh about it simply proves what management counts on, that being, that gamblers are only in it for themselves and will never muster enough of a group to force any changes at all. So far, they are right. After all, you just reaffirmed it. For crying out loud, lighten up - it was sad in jest - that is what the means. Don't get so righteous.

2.This is the game they have set up - uncoupled entries.

A. And customers let them. No, we do not. WE do not have a say in it. YOU , on the inside of the game DO.

3. I say change it, and while we are at it, come up with something more fair and intelligent than than putting the 3 stooges in a booth with a TV screen ( an liquor) and expecting good policing of the game. The idea is totally absurd.

A. Change that as well. That's fine with me. The part about liquor is on you to prove though. I was in the Stewards room during the running of races or directly before or after many times in a period of 24 years and I NEVER saw anything close to that. For crying out loud - do you understand sarcasm at all? And, can YOU prove that none do? I call that a draw.

4.Let's go after the REAL problems.
NYRA has a history of steward incompetence.

A. If you don't think that what Restoring Hope's jockey did to anybody that bet on him or the owners of him is a REAL problem then that in itself is a problem.

What he did was break one rule by not putting forth his best effort to win.
How do you know that? Can you prove it? And if it can be proven that he willfully led interference for his stablemate to have a better chance, he broke another rule. Then where is your proof?
These rules are very clear and very simple. And they are put in place to protect the public. Not other trainers. The public. These are well known to every jockey and trainer that has a license. Hell, one of those rules was on my trainers test in the 70's for God's sake.

I am not a customer. You, and I will assume most other here are. I go to the track or wager maybe once or twice a year at the most, if at all. It is an opportunity to see high school friends and reminisce about cutting class and going to Bowie and the old days.
Yet I am appalled at the actions taken in this race including the blinkers off of Restoring Hope that took place well after the entry, which is a rule violation and well after the betting started, which is another rule violation and you and I think others as well seem to have no cares about it at all presumably because you bet the winner? Well, if the stewards allowed that, maybe they WERE drinking that day and lost track of time? At the very least, they FAILED to protect the public
Thankfully I have seen plenty of customers in here that are mad about it regardless of who they bet. That is really good to see.

You know folks, all these people that are Stewards and management at every track in the country are, are just ordinary people. They won't bite. And the majority of them would welcome a sit down with respectful customers that had real issues to discuss. All you have to do is walk up to them and start talking to them. Act classy, act respectful, and ask for a slot of time . You might be surprised at how many would say yes. I would hope that same would be true for the Jocks representative.There is one jock that represents each colony at each track. Same goes for trainers. Just ask.
And it probably won't amount to much. But it's a start. Without face to face dialog, all that will happen is we will all type like hell to try and feel a little better. But it solves nothing. It only lasts until the next post .

I feel for the customers. I always have. That's because before I was a horseman, I WAS a customer. And that was part of what made me unique on the backside. Before becoming a hot walker my knowledge of horses came from watching Mr. Ed.
When I first started at the track it took me 3 days to learn which end crapped.
By the way, it's true, horses do talk. Just not with words. It takes a long time to learn what they are saying but they talk a lot. Just have to learn how to listen. And the eyes and mouth of Restoring Hope were loud and clear to me. So were the relaxed, well within himself strides of Justify. That race was OVER when 1:13 and change went up.
Could you hear and see that Tom? I could. Good for you. Medal is in the mail.
But Stewards, management , jocks and trainers talk with words. And they are easy to understand. But unless someone tries, it won't happen.[/QUOTE]

And so far, the words have said that that was not RH's purpose in the race.
Unless you have heard other words to the contrary. It is NOT my job nor desire to save the game. The NYRA stewards themselves showed how much they car and how competent they are by using the phrase "no one pointed it out to us." I heard those words.

The NY boys get beat at their own game. Live with it. I am sure NYRA is not keen on going down that path. I am MUCH more concerned the the herding and grabbing that go on daily at Belmont.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #218
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Since when do Trainers and Jockeys tell the truth? They are just as bad as politicians.
This one did Andy.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #219
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Yep, and players who bet regularly wonder why the jockey on a horse that projected to be the 2nd best speed in the race had the audacity to try and get a two wide trip, right off of the other speed. Heck, TimeformUS had the early pace projected just like it played out.....

....yet the hand-wringing continues.
It ruins a good rant.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #220
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
This one did Andy.
I believe you BUT I seriously doubt Baffert is gonna tell the truth about his instructions and I doubt Geroux is gonna speak out without Bafferts permission. When it comes to any controversy B.B. speaks with fork toungue and has for a long time.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #221
chiguy

At what point do you just find another hobby? Several on here just seem to hang around and bash the sport no matter what happens. We need an emoji with a tin hat PA.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #222
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
At what point do you just find another hobby? Several on here just seem to hang around and bash the sport no matter what happens. We need an emoji with a tin hat PA.
That's the second time you posted that in a thread I commented in yet you didn't quote what I said. Why would you tell me to find another hobby and on top of that why would you think I would care what you thought?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #223
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I just don't get how there is all this faux-outrage over Restoring Hope and Baffert, and no criticism of Repole, who ADMITS to basically doing the same exact thing (use half of an uncoupled entry to compromise rivals and obviously NOT try and win the race)...in fact, some in this very thread have APPLAUDED Repole for standing up and speaking out!

What is happening?!?!?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #224
Andy Asaro

Quote:
I just don't get how there is all this faux-outrage over Restoring Hope and Baffert, and no criticism of Repole, who ADMITS to basically doing the same exact thing (use half of an uncoupled entry to compromise rivals and obviously NOT try and win the race)...in fact, some in this very thread have APPLAUDED Repole for standing up and speaking out!

What is happening?!?!?
I have a long running feud with Baffert et al going back to 2010 and the boycott. He hates me and I can't stand him. I'm speaking from personal experience. And just to add one example in 2012 there was a huge controversy about 72 hour surveillance. Golden Eagle Farm had a entrant and the Farm Manager J.M. and the Trainer wanted 72 hour surveillance and they asked me to help so I did. They even offered to pay 20K themselves to front the cost and they did end up paying it themselves. Behind the scenes B.B. and Hollendorfer were having a sh*t fit about it but publicly they said they were OK with it. B.B. went so far as to call John Mabee and asked him to fire his Manager J.M. but to his credit John Mabee told him to eff off. That's just one example. I can go on and on.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from if anyone gives a cr*p.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #225
dilanesp

Quote:

What is happening?!?!?
I think the difference is that rabbits can win. You put in a rabbit, Justify gets a bad start, the rabbit goes wire to wire.

Whereas it doesn't look like Geroux was using tactics that could possibly benefit RH's chances in the race. He is just running interference for the .
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply